Used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews

Used Grand Cherokee for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...29

Pros
Cons
4.75 out of 5 stars

I love my 5.9

ptowntsi, 12/29/2006
5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This has to be one of the best SUV's available used. I would take it over any mid-size SUV or wimpy crossover. Yes it is true many of these need to have their front and rear axles rebuilt around 100k miles, but that is not so bad. For the price of the vehicle it is easy to spend that money to have them done. When they are rebuilt they will last an easy 100k+ or more. It is completely justifiable. These Jeeps have awesome power, and very luxurious interiors. The 5.9 limited has better leather seats than any Jeep, heated seats, heated mirrors, a great AWD system, and timeless classic styling. I recommend this Jeep for anyone looking for a reliable vehicle.

Most sought JEEP model

joanne, 06/19/2016
5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

They didn't make too many of them, they're in high demand. There's also a club for just this model. Minimal repairs since owning vehicle. Most luxurious Jeep model and year I've seen. Gas Mileage could be better, 20-22 on the freeway, less in town. Still going strong after 20 years. Still looks nearly new. Has 194,000 miles, had to put in a new cooling fan two years ago. Shop could not find a replacement, had to put in a different one. The cooling fan is electric and has two speeds. The low speed fan switch just went out, the high speed switch is OK. The shop was unable to find a replacement that day as they're not stock, I'll have to find one on my own. Oh yes, when I put in the new cooling fan, I found out at a later date the shop stole the front part of the drive shaft. The vehicle didn't have the power it as supposed to have while climbing a mountain. I called a friend and told him, he didn't know what to make of it. When I reached my destination, the starter went out. A guy from Auto Zone crawled under there, replaced the starter, told me the front part of the drive shaft was gone, as in stolen. I just read another guy's post. He runs the heck out of it, stomps on the gas, drag races from one traffic signal to the next. He also states he has to run premium fuel. I always run mid-grade when driving in town, but I drive the vehicle gently. For a while, I was accidentally running 87 as that's what my other vehicle uses, I didn't notice a difference. There was some slight pinging but I had to put the window down and drive by a concrete barrier to hear it. When I'm traveling cross country and going into the mountains, I use premium fuel.

3 out of 5 stars
4.38 out of 5 stars

One of the best

Johnie, 03/12/2002
5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Very nice jeep,grate power and looks. Fun to drive. Gas milage is poor but you have a 5.9 V8!

4.88 out of 5 stars

Limited 5.9 Still a BEAST

princeofpeace, 02/22/2011
5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this as a step up in a second car. It quickly became our favorite. From 0-100 it takes just 16 seconds! Stops from 100 m.p.h. in a amazing 126ft. This is a 1/4 mile high 14's Jeep! Bone stock,179K miles still idles at 600rpm smooth as glass. Stomping on the gas lurches you forward without any tire spin just flat out acceleration. Gets 15m.p.g. overall a stout 18@ 65mph for any length. The interior is laid out perfect! Cruise and radio/CD control on the steering wheel.Climate control that really works! Slick leather seats in dove Grey.Leather and wood everywhere! Faster than 5.0's n Vettes in the 1990's! Still shocks kids at red light jumps. Only in a Jeep!

5 out of 5 stars

This Jeep taught me everything I know about cars.

Jonnytoco@gmail, 12/29/2015
Limited 4dr SUV

I bought this car in March of 2013 with 220,000 miles on it. This Jeep had alot of issues when I purchased it. The biggest problem was the stalling. After replacing the PCM computer this Jeep has served me a fantastic 33,000 miles. I am currently at 253,000 miles with this Jeep. I drive this 45 miles a day to Oceanside and it runs like a top. Of course with high milage vehicles comes issues every couple of months but that is what owning a Jeep is about. It is a learning experience. Because of these issues I grew, and that's why I love this Jeep. When it's maintained and everything is working its a dream. when something goes out its just another thing to learn yea its stressful but im thankful. cheap, reliable, amazing first car.

4 out of 5 stars