Used 2014 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Power pkg SUV
By P Murphy

2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

We love the Jeep. The V6 is powerful especially in Sport Mode, 4x4 is rugged. Inside and out is comfortable and stylish with utility built in, many storage places, tow hooks, all weather package etc. The back however is small for loading any large gear. Acceleration at times takes gearing a few seconds to engage so making intersections hairy. A whistling noise was a costly repair not covered under warranty. A solid Jeep!

Poor Reliability
By Mike

2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

As a previous reviewer also stated, I really wanted to like this vehicle. After owning a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude for nearly four years, I grew to resent it. My family only owns one vehicle, so it must be reliable. Nobody enjoys car problems and when you only own one-vehicle car problems can become even more stressful. I will try to provide fair input in this review, as there are things to like about the Cherokee. However, its reliability became a major issue for my family.

When I purchased the vehicle, I knew it was the first time Jeep implemented the 9-speed transmission. In hindsight, it was probably not a good idea to buy a vehicle with such a new feature that had not been tested. After buying the Cherokee, I noticed some owners mentioning harsh shifts on forums. I noticed some harsh shifts from time to time, but nothing too bad.

I saw some forum users state they had dealerships reprogram their transmission, but the update had to be followed-up by an adaptive learning procedure by the dealership (the manual does state this). I contacted the dealership I have my Jeep serviced at and while they were familiar with the update, they seemed to know nothing about the adaptive learning procedure. As a result, I opted not to have them do the update, as I knew they would not complete the required follow-up procedure.

After about 2 ½ - 3 years, I noticed a whining sound when shifting from 4th to 5th gear. The car did not jerk or anything, but it did not seem right. At about the 3-½ year mark, I began to notice the same sound when completing a higher shift. Since it was spreading I knew it was probably a bad sign. Also, the shifting became more and more jerky. My wife and I would tell others it was jumpy, and a little unsettling at times.

At about the 3-½ year mark, my wife got stranded running errands when the Jeep suddenly would not start. Ultimately, we had to have the vehicle towed to a dealership and have the starter replaced. Of course the 3-year warranty had expired months earlier, so we had the pleasure of paying around $800 for the fix.

Last week, we noticed the odometer flashing. The odometer would just flash from the moment you turned on the vehicle until you turned it off. Considering the transmission getting progressively worse, the starter replacement, and now the odometer issue I brought up the idea of buying a new vehicle, as we could not rely on the Jeep. We were planning on waiting for a bit, but days later my wife ran an errand. When she came home, she said the Jeep had some really harsh shifts and almost to the point where she felt it would stall.

I subsequently decided to immediately trade-in the Jeep for a new Ford Explorer. The next morning I took off work so we could head to a Ford dealership. Now the check engine light was on! We headed to the Ford dealership and traded-in our Jeep and bought a new Explorer. We did not get a great trade-in value as the dealership saw the flashing odometer, check engine light, and noticed the whining sound on at least one shift.
We had planned on keeping the Jeep for 7-8 years. We ended up getting rid of it after 3 years and 10 months of ownership. Things were just getting worse and worse and we could not trust the vehicle. After our experience with the 2014 Jeep Cherokee, I will never purchase another Jeep. They have lost my business for good. Having problems with a 3-½ year old vehicle, which we were the only owners of and had driven lightly is unacceptable.

There are some things I liked about the 2014 Cherokee. My wife and I really liked the interior of the vehicle. It had a really nice design and quality materials. We also liked the upgraded infotainment system – we had the 8.4-inch screen. It was easy to use and had a sleek interface. We liked that it had the capability to handle poor weather and modes to enhance the vehicle capability, such as snow mode. We also liked how there were various storage compartments in the vehicle, more so than many other small SUV’s.

Maybe on the newer models Jeep has solved the 9-speed transmission problems. But if you Google the 2014 and 2015 models, you will see a lot of complaints about harsh shifts. For us, our Jeep was getting progressively worse. Not only were there what I believe to be transmission issues, but also other problems which you should not experience with a newer vehicle.

If you really want a Jeep, buy a regular Jeep such as a Wrangler. Stay away from anything else they make. I previously owner a Jeep Rubicon and had no issues with it. If you are looking for an SUV, you should seriously consider other brands. For anyone who owns a Jeep SUV, and in particular a 2014 Cherokee, I really hope you do not experience the problems we did.

Engine Burns Oil, Chrysler says it is OK
By Enrique Granja

2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

My engine started burning oil at around 40,000 miles that I could notice. It burned so much in between oil changes that the engine SHUT DOWN in the middle of the road with NO WARNING. It had consumed all the oil to empty in about 6000 miles. I took it to the dealer who recommended to Chrysler that the engine be replaced. Chrysler responded that it did not approve the procedure because "WE HAVE NO REASON TO CHANGE. NEEDS TO BE AT 1000 MILES PER QUART" this quote is from the reports I received with my invoice. In conclusion, they did nothing because per Chrysler, THEIR ENGINES ARE OK IF THEY CONSUME UP TO 1 QUART OF OIL FOR EVERY 1000 MILES. This means I have to add up to 6 quarts of oil in between oil changes. Per the dealer recommendation, I should keep oil in my car and check the oil every time I add gas. Is this normal for a 3-year old, 50,000 mile car??? I would recommend to stay away unless you are willing to take the risk on the engine.

They Can't Fix Them
By Mary

2014 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

After 4 trips to the dealership to repair the transmission issue which is a common problem with this car, I gave up. I now own a Honda CRV.

Can't drive a Cherokee at night
By Annabelle Gosz

2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

When one buys a car. It is test driven during the day. The headlights are so bad on the Cherokee I keep the headlights on high beam all the time all the time and still cannot see more than 30'. On coming cars do not flash me to dim the headlights.