Used 2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Never again!
By Terri Monaghan

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

My late husband was British. Having owned a Jaguar in the past, he suggested at some point I should purchase one. I did so and have been paying through the nose on repairs ever since. It is something every month with this car and the repairs are not cheap. I have had continuous transmission issues, electrical issues, air shock issues etc. The list goes on....a new code every week. About the time I think I will sell or trade the car, a new code, a new repair. My advice is unless you just have money to spend, stay away from a Jaguar! Sure wish I had.
I have been asked to update my review. Oct. 6, 2018. My Jag is currently in the hands of a 2nd mechanic. The 1st one had it for 2 wks. and never could get the car to stay running. All kinds of codes came up, but couldn't resolve any of them. 2nd mechanic reprogrammed the computer and I was notified the car is running beautifully now. I hope it continues to do so. I really do get frustrated with this car, but I do not want a car payment. I am comfortable with using my Jag for local use, but I am not sure it is trustworthy for long road trips. I still hold to my feeling that I would never buy another Jag.

I was hesitant for years
By Jeff K

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I was the guy that always admired these cars for years when I'd see them on the road. Friends thought I was crazy, that it was an old man’s car. So, I would just end up leasing a new BMW 5 Series every 3 years. I got so bored of the 5 and all the other new European sedans I'd see on the road here in LA. Finally, I said 'that's it!', when the next pristine 2004-2007 XJ comes up for sale locally I'm gonna jump on it and throw my 5 Series up on Swap-A-Lease. That day came in August of last year and found myself an 04 Vanden Plas with 41k miles on it. Paid a little over $13k for it. Just like most used cars, especially ones this old, you have to expect to do a little sorting in the beginning. I spent about $1500 in the first few months and it’s been smooth sailing ever since, just routine maintenance. The car is an absolute joy to drive. Quiet, comfortable, plush, luxurious but also light on its feet and handles amazingly well. I thought I would miss all the latest technology and convenience of a new car. I don't at all. Find an awesome independent mechanic that specializes in these cars. The dealers are way overpriced and are used to working on the modern cars. For anybody that's on the fence don't be. Just get a good one and you'll never look back. Oh, my friends that used to make fun of me now love it as much as I do

JAGUAR XJ8 was a great choice for me!
By COOPER W NORMAN

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this car used. It had been a condo-car in south Florida for all of its ten year life, and CarFax showed that some years it had only been driven 1400 miles; was regularly serviced and was still in warranty when the guy before me bought it and put nearly 10,000 miles on it in a couple of months and then resold it once the original warranty ended at 50,000 miles. Purchase price was outstanding and I had some money to spare to take care of the inevitable used car issues. Some things on cars fail simply because of age, and this was no exception. A couple of thousand dollars to get a good mechanic to take care of those issues returned the Jaguar to top condition and I haven't had to do anything but change oil and filters for nearly three years now and the cat keeps on purring. Love this car.

Best Luxury Car Value You'll Find
By Mark Olsen

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Go to any website and look up the reliability and handling of the 2004+ Jaguar Xj8 and you'll find owners LOVE these cars. For the money they are the most luxurious, best handling, greatest looking, and distinctive luxury cars on the planet. The 2004+ models were the result of over a billion dollars spent by FORD in improvements to the Jaguar range. These cars are never mistaken for anything but a Jaguar. I have owned two of the 2004 models (and drive one currently) and they both provide outstanding handling, value, and the kind of driving experience that gets your heart beating when you turn the key. As far as I'm concerned, when friends ask me if I like my Jaguar luxury/performance car, I just say there is NO OTHER CAR. I just can't say enough about the experience of owning a Jaguar. It is a singular pleasure unmatched in the motoring world. Update: Two years later not a single problem. Car is a dream. Buy one. Update after two years: Car is fantastic. Still no issues whatsoever. Only maintenance is changing fluids. The 2004-2009 Jaguar XJ8 (350) are the last, repeat last, of the traditional Jaguars in terms of styling and traditional luxury interiors. I'm convinced these cars will or are becoming modern classics. A 3004-2006 with under 45000 miles can still be had for under $15k and probably will never depreciate any lower than that. Care for one and drive it sparingly and you'll probably see an actual increase in what you paid in about 5 years from now. That fact pales in comparison to the smiles on your face as you turn the key in this magnificent motoring machine...as Sir William Lyons said, "The closest machine you can get to something that's actually alive." The 350's are like rare fine wine, meant to age well and be enjoyed for years to come.

Gorgeous car; ugly repairs.
By indiansummer

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Sedan XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Bought this car in January of 2011 with 13k miles on it. Always wanted this model. I knew what I was getting myself into but was stubbornly optimistic. I wanted to believe Jag had improved their reliability over the years but was quickly disappointed. The performance is beyond reproach and I admit I am now spoiled with its power and plush interior. But by 20K, one of the shocks blew. By 30k, the air suspension compressor died. By 40k, another shock blew. By 45k, the car died mid-ride (thank God I wasn't on the freeway). The dreaded "engine systems fault" light illuminated. Dealer couldn't figure out the problem and it magically cured itself; promptly traded it for reliable Lexus.

Exceptional engine performance and plush interior.

Get rid of the air suspension or make it more reliable. A complete air suspension fail at 40k miles is unacceptable.