Used 1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV Consumer Reviews

Base 3.5L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (16 reviews )

Hopefully I got a lemon
By Joshua Stephens

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

My father bought me a 1999 VehiCross for my very first car. We thought it would be a good car for me, just starting to drive... but we couldnt have been more wrong. I had the car less than 3 months and the battery terminals were shot, the window was off track, and the horn didn't work. Later, the check trans light came on so had to change trans fluid. The brakes went out on my dad, driving home from work. The headlight visability at night wasn't all that great. Rear window visability was very limited. It left me stranded a few times. Around a year of having the vx the a/c heat blower motor went out, and we put it up for sale. I just hope that we bought a lemon, and the others are better.

On my 3rd Vehicross!
By Rich

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I love this vehicle. Most fun to drive of any car I've ever owned. But, since Isuzu pulled out of North America, obtaining parts can be a problem. This is exacerbated (or exasperated... pick your choice of terms) by the fact that the VX was only made for 3 years. The only saving grace here is that most of the engine and transmission components are the same as the Trooper or, in some cases, the Rodeo. My first one lasted 11 years until someone crashed into it. My second was destroyed by hail a year ago. On my third now. But, with only 4153 made between 99-01, there are few left and many of those have problems with rust and all of the attendant problems inherent in a nearly 20-year old vehicle. The most common problems are burning oil and bad window regulators which cause the side windows to go out of the track. Sadly, I've gotten good at repairing those. Don't get one unless you plan to be your own mechanic, and check for rust especially in the undercarriage and places hidden by the faux carbon fiber panels). You will break bolts when doing any significant work... be ready to deal with that. Also, blue book gives absolutely no credit for being a rare, specialty vehicle. This can be a problem when dealing with insurance claims as they will want to total it if it gets a hangnail!

The Good & The Bad
By vande

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I fell in love with the VX when I first saw it back in 2000, so when I came accross one while car shopping I knew my decision was instantly made.
Now that I have been the owner of a coveted silver Isuzu VX for over a year, I have mixed felings about her...BTW, her name is Twiggy, named after the sexy little robot from the old Buck Rogers TV show.

What I like: she's fast (4.0L V6) and not "too" bad on gas, effortlessly passes other cars going up hill, still turns heads with the timeless design - is great for sparking conversation, is fabulous in snow, and feeds my desires when it comes to owning an unusual ride.

What I don't like: Gas meilege could be better, practically NO head room - I have to warn everyone before they sit down because the low roof can result in a mild cuncussion, Reacaro seats suck - so uncomfortable, but the worse part is that despite my timely oil changes and scheduled maintainance, the engine bagan burning oil at an obscene rate which resulted in a blown engine. Can you say expensive? OMG...how bout 6,000.00 worth of expensive!!! If you purchase one of these rare babies, stop by the bank on your way home and open a separate VX bank account because you'll need it. Is she worth it...well...YES :)

Great in Sno
By Woody

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

My VehiCross has over 140K miles and I have driven it 102K over the last 4.5 years with no reliability issues and it is still running strong. This vehicle is the best in snow I have ever experienced and I live at 10,000 ft in the Colorado Rockies. It handles like a sports car, corners very well and climbs without hesitation. The seats are Recaro racing seats providing extreme comfort and support on long drives. Ground clearance is excellent as well. I think this is the most reliable vehicle I have owned. Isuzu engineering was excellent. It's too bad they are gone. I own 3 Isuzu SUVs currently and the ruggedness and reliability has been excellent.

Acceleration, 4X4 traction and TOD system, front seat comfort, reliability and durability.

Discontinued, however, access to the back seat is terrible. Rear visibility is minimal. Gas mileage is only about 16/20. This SUV has always used quite a bit of oil. I have no regrets, though.

Love our VX!!!
By cwillyrun

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

We bought a 1999 VX to replace an old 4runner. We had seen them when they first came out but had forgotten about them. When we ran into one at a car show, we realized THIS is the car we've been looking for! It has character, drives like a sports car, is extremely comfortable, and is a great 4x4 (& in snow). Minor drawbacks: rear view (easy fix: get a back up camera and learn to turn your head!), cup holders (replacing 6-disk CD changer with one), head room (due to sunroof; okay with seats leaned back slightly), and front passenger toe room under dash. And to think, the design is 9 years old! We love our V-CROSS!

Looks, drive-ability, sportiness, seats, legroom, everything!!

One: toe room under passenger side dash.