Used 2004 Isuzu Rodeo SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Rodeo for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

My second Rodeo, just as great!!

Melanie, 08/03/2008

This is my second Rodeo. My first was a 2002 LS. I never had any problem with it. Another driver hit me and I think I would have been killed if I were not in my Rodeo. So I bought another one with the insurance money. This one is newer and has the 3.5L engine, the gray trim, upgraded sound and fog lights. I love it even more than my old one. It has great pick up, great interior. I love the controls for the stereo on the steering wheel. The price was great and it is in perfect condition. I know it will last forever too. My old one never had any problem. These vehicles are such great quality and value and low maintenance that I can't understand why Isuzu quit making them. I love mine!

Da Bugga is Cherry

Miki'ala, 11/08/2005

I've had my Rodeo for little over a year now and I'm pretty happy with it. For some reason my buttons on my steering wheel don't work as well as another Rodeo that we had test drove, but oh well. I think the exterior is definitely nice and if you throw some tires on and give it maybe a slight lift, the Isuzu Rodeo is a sick kick ride. I have to go back and forth on an uphill road and with its 3.5 liter V6, it doesn't disappoint. I love driving my Rodeo, although I may turn it in for a smaller car : (

Love the Rodeo..... Almost

Ryan, 10/31/2006

I love almost everything about the 2004 Direct Injection Rodeo, except for the fuel injection problem that I have had in BOTH 2004 Rodeos I have had. It sometimes wants to hesitate during my first acceleration of the day, but then performs fine. I can't seem to find anyone else that has had this problem, but I have experienced it in both Rodeo's that I have had.

Just what the doctor ordered

columbia rodeo, 06/28/2007

For me, with a towing package, this is the ideal suv for the money. I don't know where you can find an equal value in today's market. To date, other than oil changes, I've only replaced the drive belt and tires. This is my 4th Isuzu since the mid 80s, I average about 120k mi/truck between purchases. With routine attention to maintenance they've all been reliable rides. Like many others on this site I can not understand the low ratings from editors. I'd like to see Isuzu revive the Trooper and Rodeo in the US soon.

Good Except For A Few Issues

islndgrl, 04/04/2012

My overall experience with this vehicle was okay. I bought it in 2006 at 46,000 miles. No major problems, had its regular oil changes and tune ups. At about 76,000 plus miles i started to notice stability issues, especially on express ways, it easily tilt in the wind, i thought that it was me but was confirm with other folks driving. At 100,000 plus miles the car making sharp left or right turns, or stopping on ramp or hills in traffic, would just shut off without warning. At 117,000 miles the car was totaled, with my son driving, he was able to walk away from it, i must say looking at the vehicle, you would not have believe that he would. The body on this vehicle is made very well... :)

Served me well despite issues...

denmar68, 12/30/2010

I purchased my '04 Rodeo in Oct. 2006 with 22K miles on it. Four years later, it now has 86K on it. The only cons are the "check engine" light going on and off sporadically for no apparent reason, the car has problems starting maybe once a month (but it always starts), the gas mileage is not very good, and I've had to replace the battery once. I love the style of the exterior, but the interior is plain, basic and cheap looking. It has plenty of room for me and it will haul alot of stuff. My fiance does all the maintenance work on it and it's been overall, a pretty nice car.

Wonderful vehicle/fun to drive

Ray's baby, 10/07/2004

My wife and I just returned from a 8,500 mile, 17 state road trip. We were looking for a midsize SUV that looks good and performs well. We noticed a lot of SUV's on the road and especially many Isuzu Rodeo's. On arrival home, we looked at and purchased a new 2004 Rodeo. It is a wonderful vehicle. My wife is 5 feet tall and she loves to drive it. We have to draw straws to determine who is going to have the pleasure of driving this vehicle. We love the exterior and interior of this SUV. We have the running boards and roof racks, with spoiler over the rear window. We have driven 3,500 miles so far, our MPG averages 23 long distance, and between 18 and 21 around town. We love the engine power.

Been Great

Bandit, 08/16/2010

When I bought this SUV in 2005, I was actually looking for a Nissan Xterra. But I got way more for my money with the Rodeo. It has over 100,000 miles on it now and is just been great! It has the 3.5 direct injection v6 and this has to be the most powerful in it's class. the only problem is it has always used a little oil since dat one, but if you are aware of this and keep an eye on it, it will never cause you grief. Overall,the car is great you won't be disappointed, except by maybe the gas mileage, which is to be expect on any SUV.

BEST MID SIZE SUV EVER

gsxkid, 04/19/2009

I have the 3.5 direct injected motor. It has plently of power without hurting fuel mileage. My wife drives 85 miles to and from work everyday and it gets 24 mpg. I took it down the 1/4 mile track for fun and it run a 14.88@90 mph. I have taken it camping 1 time I went off road with it; it did great, I even pulled an 07 hummer h3 out of the mud. JUST GREAT SUV.

Best kept secret

Ridge, 12/27/2003

My 2003 Isuzu is actually my second. I owned a 2000, which I bought used and it was great, however, I wanted to start with a new one. I think it's a great vehicle, sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that some of the more expensive Suv's have, but just enough for me. It handles well in all conditions, and roomy enough for 5 large people. Of course..the outside design is the best..and in my mind is better than all the other Suv's in that size and price range. Thanks Isuzu..great job

Very happy

Tom_2004, 01/23/2004

Wanted good price, ACTUAL off-road, occasional mid-weight towing vehicle. ENGINE: Got DI 3.5. Great power/mileage & runs regular. Get almost sticker mileage (conservative driver). INTERIOR: Comfy sit, even on long trips. Dash is nice looking and simple. 81cf of space-blew away larger competitors. Roomy back seats. Roof rack you can load w/o having a ladder. 4x4: Works well. INS: Cheaper to insure than most SUV's. SAFETY: Standard anti-lock brakes/4-wheel ventilated disk. GENERAL: I like the sleeker look of the Rodeo. Easy to get in and out of, baby seat loads easy. Glass lifts up to let oversized items hang out. Compared/did practical test. Great vehicle & Price.

I love this car!!

Sheena G., 02/28/2004

Very reliable, great features, nice exterior look, also powerful for a price tag of less than 25000!!

gas guzzzzzler

hmmm, 03/11/2004

The ride is smooth and quiet. The seats are comfortable and there is plenty of room. I noticed the bouncy ride on rough pavement. Very bad on gas mileage. I would recommend the Rodeo if gas mileage is no concern!!

I love this!!!

I love my Rodeo, 03/14/2004

The steering and the response is great!! Powerful V6 engine, fast accelaration, nice sturdy exterior look, regular interior look yet functional. Got a nice warranty with a good price.

looks good in crystal blue

FCC, 03/21/2004

Purchased our Rodeo Dec. 25, 03 and so far it has been nice to drive. Only use it in city driving so suspension concerns are not an issue. love the look and the ride, interior could use upgrade.

Hope you like Gas Stations

garodeo, 05/11/2004

Overall, I like this vehicle. The exterior design is attractive, and the interior is comfortable. However, the gas mileage is nowhere near what is listed on the window sticker. I am driving mostly highways and am barely getting 17 MPG. I have to fill up every 4 days or so. Edmunds lists 23 MPG as well, I would love to hear from someone who gets this kind of mileage.

satisfied

glewis, 07/21/2004

Having owned 3 previous Isuzus I knew what to expect in the 2004 Rodeo. It hasn't changed in years and I was looking to take advantage of lower interest rates, remaining trade-in value and rebates to get into a new version. I like a no-frills 4-door dependable, logical sport utility I can take to the country as well as haul stuff around town. I've always been satisfied with the Isuzu product.

Great Car

jt979, 07/24/2004

Great solid car with pleanty of pulling and acceleration power. Pleanty of torque.

ISUZU RODOE LSE

EDDY, 09/06/2004

I HAD THIS TRUCK FOR THREE YEARS I HAD TO REPLACE THE ENGAIN HARNESS THE COMPUTOR ALL AT MY COST THEY SAY THE TRUCK COMES WITH 7YEARS 70.000 MILES ID LOVE TO SEE IT THISE WAS MY FIRST ISUZU AND MY LAST BILLY

Love My Isuzu!

Sandra Munn, 10/09/2004

I love the perfomance of my Isuzu Rodeo. It drives very smooth. Very comfortable and sporty. My vechicle is very reliable and I wouldn't trade it in except for another Isuzu Rodeo.

Something' Missing

Diablita, 10/25/2004

I think the Rodeo is a fun car to drive it needs a little improvement... the interior is not that pretty, the cloth of the seats is a very cheap maetrial, but they are not that uncomfortable... very roomy, and the cargo area is huge... i cant really complain there

Good choice

Antoine, 12/21/2004

Since I have bought this vehicle there have been some things that I have been dissapointed with like the fuel economy, but overall I would say it is a good buy for the price compared to other SUVs in it's class.

The Rodeo Rocks Hard

RodeoRocks!, 11/06/2003

We shopped around for over 7 months & the ‘03 Rodeo was such a killer deal, brand new. Major fun, great warranty/well built. Love displays; stereo is the easiest thing to operate! Floormats like no others; they grip solidly. Perfect sized, head- turning, sharp SUV for a super deal. And remember, John 5:24 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."

Love it!

sc rodeo, 08/04/2009

My fourth Isuzu SUV. Bought it new in 04. This ride has given me more than my money's worth. I've always liked the looks, the performance and the reliability,- no unpleasant surprises. Predictable maintenance history and a compatible vehicle for rack systems, hitch systems, etc. It's flexible for carrying all sorts of cargo. Have put 112k miles on this thing and if it dies tomorrow, I'm still be glad I bought it.

NEVER AGAIN

Jd Texas Flyer, 09/29/2004

Bought TWO of these dogs on the same day (what was I thinking) for wife and daughter, hoping to get them into something reliable and safe - just the opposite. After 20K miles, major items began to fail such as catalytic converter (complete failure), transmission oil leakage (required complete transmission replacement), engine starter failure (replaced / both cars), ABS brake failures, throttle control valves, EGR valves, gas gauges, central computer, radio (lights, speakers), along with multiple factory recall repairs, some of which required more than a day to complete (without a supplied rental). There is NO feeling of dependability.

Could not catch a break

Alysha, 03/20/2017
S Rwd 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

Had it for about a year before it broke down the first time. Then it was a hard to find someone that knew how to work on it. Theeeenn it cost me $2,000 to get it running again. And about 4 months later it broke down again and has been sitting for the last 3 years. So it has been a big waist of my time and money.

satisfied

isuzu guy, 08/14/2008

Just went over the 90k mile mark on my 04 Rodeo I purchased new almost 5 yrs ago (my 4th Isuzu since 88). Bought the extended warranty but never had to use it. I've been extremely happy with this ride. No surprises (knock on wood). Still get over 20 mpg on trips and 15 mpg in town. With all the rebates, I keep my eye on new SUVs but really can't justify the expense as the equivalent value in today's market is just too steep. I'd hate to unload this Rodeo, it still runs so well. Timely maintenance and an honest mechanic are key. I have no reservations about taking this Rodeo on long trips. I feel real fortunate to have owned this SUV, having a ride in the shop is no fun.

well built

smilies, 01/11/2004

great truck that is very reliable and fun to drive, have had no problems, smoth rideing enigne

simplistic yet functional

J. Tan, 02/07/2004

It's functional and simplistic. Maybe it was the ease of getting in and out. Maybe it just makes you feel cool. I don't know. I drove it a while ago and would hard pressed to describe why I liked it so much. The suspension could be better but I usually drive in stop and go traffic. The only time I really tax a suspension is accelerating off a steep parking lot down onto a street at an angle. I don’t think a soft suspension is bad as along as you’re not rocking side to side.

Excellent SUV Choice

Kori, 02/17/2004

I've never owned an SUV before and I love the Rodeo. It rides great and I love the design of it. Now that I'm in it I can't imagine myself in anything else. Thanks to Isuzu and Champion Isuzu Houston.

Excellent for the price

Kevin James, 02/17/2004

I just bought my Rodeo and I love it so far. It has great power and handles like a champ!! The six disc changer is very cool and volume audio controlls are similar to the cherokee laredo.

Powerful engine

Sonia, 02/26/2004

comfortable interior seats, big cargo space, rugged exterior look, smooth ride,

I Love this little SUV

chasespeed, 03/05/2004

I bought my truck used with 30k,and now has just under 50.I love it.Great family vehicle, fun to drive, and actually useful, even tow my race car with it, 4k, trailer and car.I have no complaints dealer of manufacturing wise.

Great Winter with it

Michael2K, 03/09/2004

Purchased a used '99 Rodeo and just went through the first Winter with it in N.Y. The 4X4 was worked excellently and got me going on the road and in and out of snow.

my suv

wpc3, 03/27/2004

I think this is the best suv for small families and single people because its not big and over baring like some others,but instead it is a midsize giant if you were to ask me and has a lot of power for a v6.And the four wheel drive is great for off roading or just getting around in the snow,I will be a repeat buyer as long as they keep making the rodeo. Yours Truly WPC3

The Truth

isuzuman, 03/27/2004

Edmunds, I usually agree with your opinions, but not anymore. 'Underachieving'?..don't make me laugh. Ths is possibly the best car for the money on the market right now. You're full o

Best SUV

Bill N., 03/30/2004

Without question best SUV I've ever owned. Price was driving force to buy it, but then found performance and reliablity was excellent. Great warranty, but have never needed it.

Best For The Buck!!!

Sylvester1950, 04/18/2004

Whle searching for an SUV a friend of mine who can drive any car he choses, told me that he has a Rodeo with 90,000+ miles. He said it is GREAT! I test drove it. Compared it to the Ford Explorer and Toyota 4-Runner and decided on the Isuzu. I have never regretted my choice.

best car ever

playafil, 04/18/2004

this car is strong coll looking and just great!

rodeo is best for suv for your money

sccrkeepr, 04/20/2004

Had a rodeo for the last 8 yrs - i have never had a serious problem with it ever. They had a window arm problem but aside from that nothing. The customer service is awesome and the salesperson i bought it from calls me 2 or 3 times a yr to make sure everything is ok. The car handles great and the inside is very comfortable. My BF is 6'2" and has plenty of leg and head room. Its fun to drive and its soo cute. Splurge on the sound system and the power package.

powerful V6

Johnson Enmanuel, 01/02/2004

good improvements, like the cruise control and volume/ch&trk buttons on steering wheel, smooth ride, powerful engine

Can't fix the problems!!!!

sillyisuzu, 10/05/2013

At first loved the car. Bought it new in 2005. However, after two years of ownership, the car would fail to start. It would begin to turn over, then cut off. I have to reset the auto door locks for it to start, and even then sometimes it won't, and its not the starter. It also burns oil and I have to check the oil levels weekly. The engine light has come on, and no one can tell me what the code means! The engine also regularly sticks in first gear and the engine whines, then finally engages. I had the tranny serviced, but they tell me there is no problem. Finally, the key design completely stinks! You can program the fob to open the door, but can't find anyone to program it to start the car.

Not what I thought

Joanne, 01/19/2005

I absolutely hate this truck. The drive is horrible and weak...it never has any type of pick-up whatsoever. My mother's 4 cylinder car has more pick-up and vroom than this thing! I can't stand driving it and haven't even had it for a full year yet! Biggest mistake I've made!!!

Get Rid Of It

PEddie, 04/20/2009

Mushy ride, feels unsafe; REDUCED POWER light randomly comes on, effectively disabling the car, dangerous if you're not in your driveway when it happens; essentially you cannot count on it when you need it.

WHAT, NOT UNDER WARRANTY?

greg masinelli, 04/14/2004

they will not fix warranty work. they tell me at 25000 miles that it is all maintenance work. ignition sticks,idles at 1600rpm's all the time, it clunks in the rear end when you leave a stop light. I took it in two other times for ignition sticking and they said nothing then about thats the way it is designed. very poor quality and will never buy another one ,ever!

2004 Rodeo 4 door

hitmark, 05/01/2004

Good suv for the price, Nice size. Good Looking

Great Buy

jdifranco27, 07/16/2004

Not sure why there aren't more of these on the road. My wife and I have had the car for two years with no problems. Great fun SUV.

Great for the Money

Craig, 12/20/2004

I've had my Rodeo for about 3 months. No problems at all. It has the Direct Injection, 250-Hp V-6 engine, and it will definitely move. I was astounded by the performance of this engine - especiallly when compared to the [Rodeo} standard V-6. No contest whatsoever. If you get one of these, get the Direct Injection. You won't regret it.

Decent

rodeo, 06/29/2005

I have had my Rodeo for a little over a year now. I agree with the power issue... there is none. Also, when braking, you better start early; this Rodeo will continue to roll without any gas given to it. I like the exterior look, interior has much room for improvement.

good suv for the price and warranty

herrerahnj4, 04/16/2004

nice exterior look,interior looks a little plain but acceptable. over all truck looks pretty sharp

51050