Used 2014 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Veloster model:

2014 Red Veloster
By Lynn

2014 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

It is a great car but is inexpensively made especially in flooring. I did have to replace the clutch after 24K miles...and I have driven manual shifts for 30 years and never had to do that before.

Turbo'd Up!
By Eddie

2014 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback Turbo 3dr Hatchback w/Black Interior (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

If this isn't the best car for the money than I guess im wrong. For real I am so dang satisfied with this mini beast that I don't really know where to start. Tech yes. Driveability yes. Acceleration yes. Handling yes. I see challengers mustangs and camaros looking over like [non-permissible content removed] that thing is cool. I step on it and once that turbo lag is gone I am too. If I can say one thing... Natural aspirated veloster is my other car but turbo is where it's at! I've put 10k miles on a turbo with 25k

Fun to drive, annoying to maintain
By Mikey

I owned the car for two years now and my overall opinion is it is a fun car to drive around and open up every now and then but I'm becoming increasingly annoyed with how often the car develops minor problems.

This is the second winter in a row where the clock fails to keep the time after the car is shut off. I have taken it to the dealer before and they fixed it the next day with no problem. One year later, I am having the same problem!

The infotainment system is laughably pathetic. I've had nothing but issues with it. After a year of owning the car, I've had numerous incidents where the whole system would lock up and fail to turn off or restart. A few months later, I noticed the left tweeter died. Shortly after, the right tweeter died. After four or five trips to the dealer who couldn't figure out the problem, they finally determined the amp was at fault and they replaced it. I am not one to blast music- the volume never really gets above 12 on the car so please don't think that I just blast the music all the time then complain when the speakers stop working...

Aside from the infotainment, the windscreen area squeaks and creaks incredibly loud when the temperature drops below about 50 Fahrenheit. I have tried many times to remedy the problem with felt tape around the cowl area but have only had marginal success. This car is really not a fan of the cold!

Overall, I would recommend this car to someone who lives in a warm climate and doesn't mind a peaky engine. (The car has no trouble going from a rolling start up to high speeds in no time, but from a dead stop, you will notice a significant lag in power.) This may be the car for you if you want random people on the street commenting on your "cool little car" and asking "how do you like that thing?" It really does a good job at catching eyes of passerby's but has sadly lost my interest after 2 years of ownership.

Fantastic base, ripe for minor mods
By Anthony F.

I've had mine for a little over a year now, and still love it. It has some small quirks that are easy to fix with a bit of aftermarket, so the car is FANTASTIC if that's your thing. Easy to add power and handling capabilities, and the car takes them well. At 1 year of ownership, still have had zero mechanical problems that have sent me to the dealer. The car is fun and comfortable for cross-country driving, too. The MPG estimate is also pretty conservative, I average higher than EPA estimates.

Fun car but uncomfortable
By VaClassicrider

2014 Hyundai Veloster Hatchback 3dr Hatchback w/Gray Interior (1.6L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought used cars from 1988 until 2014 when I purchased the Voloster. The test drive wasn't long enough. Once I sat in the car for about one hour I notice the sport seat was just too small and made my drive uncomfortable. I loved the car but hated the seat! It was so uncomfortable I traded it in just 11 months. Never have I done anything that crazy but I needed comfort. If the car had a better seat I would still have it due to all the great features and gas mileage!

Great fuel mileage. Handles ok but not as well as my '66 bug. The display, blue tooth is good but doesn't make up for comfort.

Make the seats more comfortable.