Used 2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

1st Hyundai but not my last
By zmanjeep

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Ok... first I must let you know that I am 44 years old and have been driving for 30 years. I have driven over a million miles personal or for business. I have owned daily drivers ranging from 1970 to 2006 models years. Also I have not bought a brand new car since 1996. I learned then that a new car is not a great value. That said I have owned over 40 vehicles since I started driving and this is one of my favorites. I bought this car in October after finding myself lending or giving a few cars to family or friends. I found myself with only my 88 F150 left drive. I drive 35 miles round trip for work so I needed another car that was better on gas. I found this at a local public auction for $1050. Bar none the best value for a car I have bought in years. This thing has over 206,000 miles on it now and I bought it with 201k. Last month I have to replace the driver front window regulator, but that was my fault. We had an ice storm and I pushed it to hard to get the window down before it thawed(only $35 for the new part). Let me get to the good parts(That was the only negative by the way). Car drives like a dream which surprised me for small/midsize car. the road noise is lower than most any car i've owned. When you close the door is gives more of a thud then a tin can sound. I compare it to the Mercedes Thud(driven a few but never owned one). I was also extremely surprised at how responsive the little 2.5 v6 is. It accelerates smooth no matter what but when you need to give it some go to pass or merge on the highway it doesn't hesitate it just goes. It handles like a sport sedan not a budget sedan. As far as safety goes, I was surprised to see a 2001 Hyundai have side seat airbags but this one does not have antilock brakes or traction control. Oh Well. Most of the controls are simple but functional and all work well. A/C blows cold and Heat needs turned down on a 20 degree day. I am 6' and 200 lbs. and its comfortable for me and a midsize adult could still fit behind me in comfort. My wife drives a Volvo s60r. This car doesn't have all the bells and whistles or a 300HP turbo engine. But I could and would buy 5 of these for what her car is worth. Hope to drive this thing for several more years.... and find another when this one is ready to die.

Not safe.
By germanshepherdlover

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I got in an accident with my sonata I had. Going about 15 mph, person decides last minute to turn, and I rear ended him. Front of car crunched up VERY far and was totaled. Other vehicle had a 'barely there' dent. I loved it, but I would never get another one unless it was built more solid. Oh, and I couldn't change spark plugs on my own. I couldn't get to them. Had to bring it to repair shop so they could do it, because special tools were needed. As far as speed, handling, good looking, the standard stereo was good too- I loved it. One more con- not easy to get in and out of if you have a bad back or bad knees.

300,000 miles
By 2001sonatagls

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Sonata GLS new in the summer of 2001. I have a 43 mile one way commute to work. I change the oil every 3,000 miles. I replace the engine coolant and transmission fluid every 60,000 miles. I replace the timing belt and serpentine belt every 60,000 miles. My reward for taking care of my car is 300,800 miles so far. My car does not use any oil or leak any fluids. I've had work done on the AC system once and had it charged a second time. I replaced the front wheel bearings once and each of the front tie rods once. Eleven and on half years of reliable service sums up my satisfaction with Hyundai. btw, This is the first car that I have ever kept past 100,000 mile.

I don't really have any specific favorite features.

I have some rust on the body; but after 11 Illinois winters it is not excessive.

I LOVE IT even 200,000 miles later
By shelly09

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car. I bought it 2 years ago as my first car. It is getting me through college. It is the most reliable car ever. I am 2nd owner and 200,000 miles as of yesterday. the only problem I have had was a small leak in the power steering line. I get good miles and it is quite. I call it my dolphine because of the long nose and short tail. :). I do not regret getting this car.

the reliablility, the comfort, the look, the room

2001 Hyundai Sonata (4 cyl)
By Tony from PA

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased car new. The vehicle has 57,000 miles on it. Over the past ten years, I have only performed maintenance items on the vehicle. I have just had to service it for the first time. The AC compressor needed to be replaced. Purchased an extended bumper to bumper warranty so the it was covered. I recently passed the car onto my son. Out of all of the cars I have owned, this one has been the most reliable.

Comfortable to drive. Body style.

Waterproof electrical connectors on engine (can't power wash without issues). Quality of plastics in interior. Brakes vibrate when stopping from high speeds.