Used 2010 Hyundai Genesis Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Hyundai Genesis Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Genesis model:

World's best kept secret until recently
By Norris Whitlock

2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is a lot of car for the money. I have been very happy with it with the exception of having the GPS replaced and some other quirky electrical issues which were challenging for the dealership to fix.

Great car and terrific value
By Naptown sailor

2010 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This car is much roomier than a Mercedes E class or BMW 5-series and has better features. Handling is not quite as good as its German rivals but cost is far less. I'm about 6 ft tall and find both of its German rivals very short on back seat legroom. It has more than ample power (using regular gas) and still gets 27-28 mpg on trips. As for complaints, it does not go in the snow and resale value is poor.

Sold the car a few months ago after seven years. Had issues with back-up camera not functioning and glitches in the phone connection. Some alignment issues and had to add a "camber kit" to make that adjustment. Other than those issues and it not going well in snow (use all season tires but it really needs snow tires), the car has been very nice and my wife was sad to see it go. I would certainly buy another in the future but with AWD.

Fantastic car
By John Collins

2010 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned! Before retiring, I used it in business putting a lot of miles per year. It never failed me and cost me next to nothing in repairs. Just replaced the brakes the first time after over 160K miles! Amazing!

Update:

After retiring and having logged over 175K miles on my Genius, I decided to trade it in though nothing was wrong with it. I just needed a pickup truck. Even though I love my new truck, I still miss my Genesis.

The longer I own it, the better I like it.
By sooththetruth

2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I can't get over that I have not been tempted by cars coming out years after mine. I have gone car shopping, with the intent of buying a new car, multiple times since 2014. Problem is, I can't drive my car and the new test cars back to back without deciding to keep mine. Which cars? BMW 5 series, Audi A6 diesel, Acura RLX and the Sports Hybrid. To be fair, I didn't like the standard suspension in my Genesis, so I spent $1300 for coilovers, including labor, to be installed. These are adjustable, but now my car rides more comfortably than the stock vehicle, and corners much better. The Audi and BMW, RLX, all rode no better than my car. I did drive a 2012 Mercedes E350, and the comfort of the Mercedes was FAR GREATER than that of any of the other cars above. But the back seat of the Mercedes was tiny, and the trunk so small, I would have had to take clubs out of my bag every time I went golfing. So here's the thing, my car has a stereo as good as any. The interior space is that of a BMW 7 series. The trunk is so big that I take foursomes on driving golf vacations (yeah, 4 sets of clubs and some bags to get us through, some of it goes in the middle of the back seat). No other car has given me all this, while running on regular gas, and needing so little repair over 90,000 miles. The maintenance is cheap. The acceleration startlingly good. My 250 lb frame did wear out the leather on the driver's seat, and the rails under the seat have to be cleaned up to let the seat track well while I'm in it. That is it, nothing else has ever gone wrong. There were aspects of the other cars I liked better: The gas mileage of the BMW and Audi diesel (but not that much better when determining the cost differential for premium or diesel fuel). The looks of the Audi. The RLX had as big an interior as my car, but was front wheel drive with rear wheel steering, but the ride was worse than my car. The Mercedes was a dream to drive, but only for 2 people on long trips, and I like my trips. I do want nannies in the future, such as smart cruise control, and front impact prevention, but I still think they have a ways to go to not be intrusive. Oh, I have to mention that the best nannies are on the new Genesis. The 2015 rode great, but sacrificed back seat room and trunk space to look good, and the acceleration has been compromised to give better gas mileage, but only modestly so. So i like my 2010 MORE THAN the new, beautiful, 2015 Genesis, but i would likely choose the new Genesis over any of the others. Update 2/2/2017: Car has 100,000 miles on it, original brakes are still on it. No engine troubles. Electronics are all working. I did have to clear the collection of dirt under the front seat, again, or the seat won't track well, but I consider that my fault.

Driving till done
By Phil L.

2010 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have had this sedan since 75k, I have now diven it 2 years and 30,000 miles. I have loved this car since first drive. The silence in the cabin, the comfort of the ride while still being quite stiff around corners. It has the perfect balance between comfort and control. I always love driving Cadillac because it was like driving a cloud, but you never really got the control you wanted out of the larger sedan. The Genesis does it the best, and the power from the 4.6L V8 is amazing. You don't even notice you are going 80 miles an hour and arrive their effortlessly. On the interstate I get around 30 mpg, city about 18. The navigation/radio system is a little complex at first, but once you get it, it is the best for keeping you focused on the road.