Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 249 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Poor Man's Sports Car!
By Crazy Clay

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Five years ago I bought a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT with only 37000 miles for $5995. It is burgundy with a spoiler, black trim, and a 5 speed manual transmission. The car has a lot of quick get up and go, and is sporty inside and out with it's gray leather seats. I average 30 mpg! I have driven this car everywhere, and it shows no sign of slowing down. The inside has a nice sounding AM/FM stereo with CD. It also has not one but two cigarette lighters for charging phones, computers, and tablets. Even has a nice little coke holder that pops out of the back seat. It will seat five, and the seats in back fold down for extra trunk space. Wheels are aluminum alloy. I wanted a Mustang when I bought this, but just couldn't find a good used one in my price range. The only issues I've had is that the clutch went out a week after I bought it. Dealer didn't cover it, but they should have. The clock is ok but nothing flashy. The car has two cup holders between the driver and front passenger. But you can’t shift if a cup is in the forward holder. After the clutch went out, no problems until radiator cracked at 108,000. BUT THE CAR DIDN'T OVERHEAT! It shut down the A/C to keep the temp down, and I was able to drive 30 miles on home with it as the temp gauge hovered just over medium. The engine has been extremely reliable. I changed the timing belt at 109,000 just to be safe. If you let it break your engine is toast. Just change it at 100,000 and you'll be fine. My mechanic said the belt could have gone longer. I think this car is good for at least 100,000 more miles, maybe more. If you find an older 2005 Elantra in good shape, buy it! You won't be sorry. My mechanic says they are more reliable than the new ones. So fun to drive!

Excellent Car for The Price
By TKH

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2005 Elantra has plenty of "pep"- as a matter of fact it's engine may be too strong for the weight/size of the vehicle. It only gets around 24 combined MPG which is low for a car this size but you get more power and better acceleration at the cost of the reduced fuel economy. The Elantra GLS is not a "luxury" vehicle by any stretch but it's not an "Econobox" either. It's a very good car for the price you will pay for it and I would definitely consider buying another Hyundai after owning this one- I would probably go for a Sonata or a Sante Fe though because I'm getting older and I need a few more "creature comforts" than the Elantra offers. The only bad thing about this car is it's handling in the snow and on wet pavement. I have never had a car hydroplane like this one does so you need to make sure you buy excellent wet handling tires when you buy a 2005 Elantra!

Good, but possibly costly
By Ryan Z.

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car over a year ago and it has been a great car, but loaded with issues for me. Ever since I've had the car from June 2016 till now I've had to replace the 02 sensor, reseal the windshield (leaked inside during hard rain), get new brakes and rotors, replace the whole exhaust system, replace the belts, and get a transmission fluid flush because the transmission was slipping. I've also had loss of power in the engine, but I recently found the cabin air filter had NEVER been changed and the engine air filter needed changing so after changing those I have power again. Other than ALL of that i still think it's a nice car, but if you are going to get one then you have to make sure it's a great one because mine only had 106,000 miles on it when I got it and it now has 117,000 miles on it and its not good to need to have all that fixed and changed when its not crazy high on miles yet.

Most reliable car I've ever owned
By Nathan

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine in 2006 for $9,500 with 50 miles on it. it now has 274,000 miles and I would still drive it across the country with no worries. it has not one time left me stranded. I replaced the clutch and other regular wear and maintenance items. I haven't changed the oil in maybe 20,000 miles since I add about a quart every other week (which goes to show how forgiving this car is with irregular and neglected maintenance). It also has the coldest and most powerful air conditioner I've ever felt in a car (never been recharged AND I live in southern Texas). I even built a custom tow hitch and hauled a trailer with 2 motorcycles on it from Florida with it (very bad idea, but it never missed a beat). I am by no means a "gentle" driver but this car just purrs right along (actually it hums along - exhaust leak). Except for one issue: I don't know if the check engine" light works; it's never turned on. Overall, extremely excellent vehicle. It looks like crap, but it costs me $12/month in insurance. there is no possible way to justify selling it. Drive it till she dies.

Best Money Ever Spent On A Car
By Don W

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new for $10,500.00. I drove it for 8 years and then passed it to my daughter for school. It currently has 216,000 miles and going strong. Total for repairs, not including maintenance, about $1,000.00! It is on it's third set of brake pads and still the original rotors. It's also on it's third set of tires which were changed at 210,000 miles. Handling is great, but the engine had always strained going up steep hills. Without a doubt this is the best car I've I've ever owned!

*-Update-Car still being driven every day and still going strong at 221,000 miles!