Used 2004 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 291 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

If only I could buy this car again for same price!
By kfhoz

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been awesome. Tight road handling, very reliable. at 207,000 miles and I have had it since about 80,000 miles. it is getting near retirement for it. Did not need any repairs until very near 200,000 miles, and then there have just been two, for about $650 each. It runs great, the leather seats look great, the Air Conditioning works well and has never had to be recharged. Only the after-market sunroof has an electric problem.

SURPRISED GAS MILAGE
By Wolfster

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Lucky to get 22 miles a gallon WHY? No Idea. All maintenance performed all requirements met, Worst mileage of any car I have ever owned. For a 4 cylinder?

Driver's side window in door lock
By Robin pound

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2004 Hyundai Elantra I have had trouble with the lock working for all the doors window going up and down I have replaced the window I have replaced the part for the window so it works when it wants to if not I have to walk around the car to lock the doors had it fixed it Ricart when I first bought it had it fixed it three other garages and it's doing it again they need to recall

The best car I have ever owned, and a good friend.
By Grant E

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just turned over 302,000 miles on my good friend. It has never let me down or left me stranded in 12 yrs of service (2 miles on odometer when purchased). Starts every time, runs almost like brand new, fast and reliable (5 speed manual). Yeah I take care of it (oil change every 4000 miles "No matter what"). Everything else has been routine maintenance brakes, rotors, tune up (once a year) it costs less than $20 for spark plugs (get NGK's G-power) an air filter and a PCV valve. I replace the spark plug wires every other year at a cost of about $45. Follow the manual (especially on the timing belt) this is an interrupt engine and you will kill it (dead) if that belt breaks. The book says 60,000 I do mine at 75,000 (but I drive about 27,000 a year). The front struts are original (this has been a problem issue with others), I replaced the back shocks at about 190,000 but I do haul stuff sometimes (lots of room to haul stuff for a car). The front bearings have been replaced and one of the backs. Anyway I have spent less money repairing this car (total) then you would spend in a weekend at mardi gras in New Orleans. Great gas mileage 34 mpg average, I got 46 MPG on a stint through New Mexico when the car was a child with only 58,000 miles on it (say 40+ a lot back then). Now that it is broken in I get 33 in the summer and 28 in the winter. Still does not use hardly any oil (less then a 1/2 quart between changes 4000 miles). It did use some at one point, before I changed the valve cover gasket (230,000 miles). I have been through one clutch at 165,000 and it will probably need another one at 330,000 (oh well $380) (Don't take it to a dealer they will charge you $1000, that's because it is so rare they do this kind of repair). This car is an amazing piece of machinery (get the stick, if you can find one). 0 to 60 in 7.8 sec (6500 rpm of course). Quarter mile in 15.7 at 93 mph (not bad for 138 hp). Top speed 127 mph (it gets there reeeal slow after about 114) never been able to get passed 127 (ahh well). This car is great and will probably rust out before the engine goes (I am thinking 500,000 Plus). If they made it as an all wheel drive it could be the best automobile ever produced (but then it would have some kind of issue with the all wheel drive system that killed it at 140,000 miles). I mean it is not a Subaru or an Audi.

easily a 300k+ car
By CJMerry

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a mechanic, and i have had this car since 180k. the engine is solid, no internal leaks except the valve cover gasket. The transmission with proper or improper maintenance, can last about 250k with little to none problems. the engine has original head gasket, intake gasket, and exhaust gaskets. the only common problem that I've seen is that the rear engine mount has a tendency to tear, causing shuddering during acceleration. the electronics are solid, to computer failures and I have not needed to replace the starter or have any problems starting. the aptitude needed to operate things inside the car is very simple. it has comfortable air conditioning that can last a long time with proper maintenance. I have gone on long road trips in this car and you could be able to stay in the drivers seat for a little bit over an hour and a half. the interior has no tears, stains, or sun damage, a simple vacuum can be able to make the car look like brand new. the steering wheel has a tendency to fall apart at about 150k, but it still works! also, the visibility is great! I have minimal blind spots, and great visibility. The acceleration is pretty decent too. I can be able to get to 60 mph in under 10 seconds with excellent control. I have had it up to 110 and it is pretty stable at high speeds. This car is the best car that I've ever owned for it's low pricing, and I will be buying this car again once my current elantra runs into the ground. Update: now at 286k and still going strong!