Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Elantra GT for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

2013 Hyundai GT hatch Auto - 1 month review

mergatroid, 09/06/2012

Came from a 2010 Mazda 3. Love this car so far. I am 6' 1" tall and have great leg room in front. Back seat is also very spacious. I have the base model but it is very well equipped. So far averaging about 32MPG in about 80% hwy, 20% city driving. On one 60 minute freeway stretch at 65mph I averaged 36mpg. Pleased so far and I am hoping it will improve as time goes on. Keep it in ECO mode all the time. Very quiet car, average acceleration but plenty of power in manual mode. Sport mode in steering my favorite and handles very well, but not quite as good as my Mazda 3. Fantastic dash set up - Bluetooth works great, AC strong, above average stereo - nice bass. Competitors have their work to do.

2013 Elantra GT is smooth and sporty

dhfromcali, 08/16/2012

After much research and test drives, I finally decided on the Elantra GT with the Style package. I test drove and compared the following: VW Golf, Golf TDI, Jetta TDI, Mazda 3, Ford Focus, Nissan Altima, Kia Optima. By far, the Elantra GT was the quietest ride out of all, nicest cabin, and best overall value. It was fun to drive (only slightly less fun than the Mazda which had great steering) but was smoother on freeway than Mazda. It's a lot roomier in front and back seat than all of those listed, and has better warranty. It was close between the Mazda and Hyundai but the Mazda didn't make good use of dash setup and I'm only 5'5" and hit my head getting in/out of the car.

Overall very satisfied

docthor, 09/04/2012

Purchased vehicle almost 6 weeks ago, and have already put just over 6K miles on it (purchased in Florida and driven to California) Automatic with Style Package. It is being used as daily driver to work, about 42 miles each way, mostly highway, some city. Incredibly happy with vehicle. It handles great, the styling is modern, sporty and attractive. The interior looks and feels like inside a much pricier car. I am 6'3 ft and I have no issues with head/legroom up front or in the back, although my head is close to ceiling interior because of sunroof. It is not superfast, but has enough power for anything you may encounter in day to day driving. Suspension feels firm but not too hard.

It's been a car...

bkohs, 03/05/2014
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

So after almost 3 years of leasing this car, I'm glad it will be gone soon. Over all there is nothing wrong with it, but there is nothing great either. My biggest complaints are the lack of power, gearing, and the sensitivity of the ABS system. For the engine, it's about 30 to 40 HP less than it should be. There is a serious lack of power while going up hill or trying to pass on the highway. When paired with the manual transmission, the power is only usable in 2nd through 4th gear. 1st gear will get you going from a stop on a hill, but I find myself starting in 2nd more often than not due to how short 1st gear is. you can get it up to about 25mph if you get close to red line on the tach, but that's about it. 5th gear is only for cruising (not enough power to accelerate). 6th gear is basically useless. If you are doing over 65mph it's OK, but again, no power for passing so you'll have to shift down to 4th to overtake. I can live with all of that, however the big issue I have is with the ABS system. if you are on the brakes (not even hard) and go over any bumps the ABS will kick in. Most cars will do this, however, the ABS continues to stay active for a while after you've cleared the bumps. this gives the feeling of not being able to stop because the brakes are pulsing. I've had it happen to me many times and at all speed ranges I normally drive in. I've even slightly overshot a stop sign because of it. I've mentioned it to 2 different dealerships on multiple occasions and have been in the car with the tech while it happened, but they have all come back and said there is no problem with it. This is the main reason I will be happy to be rid of this car in a month. now that that's out of the way, there are a few highlights to this car. there is lots of storage space when the rear seats are down. I've been able to fit 3 bikes in the back. With the seats up, storage space is slightly limited, but there is a good amount of room for the rear passengers. I've gone on a couple of week long road trips with my wife and 2 kids and we all comfortably fit with our luggage inside. My car has the basic entertainment setup, but it still sounds great! I can hook up the iPod or connect the phone and play media through BT. The mic for the BT system works well and I've had a few people tell me they didn't even know I was driving while I was talking to them. The front seats are very comfortable and the fact that they are heated is a nice touch in the winter. The rear seats are a little stiff and upright, but that wasn't an issue for us as our kids are still in baby seats. Over all this car is OK. As long as you don't expect it to be something it's not. It's not sporty. It's not even slightly fast. It's not amazing with fuel consumption. It will, however, get you where you need to go. It's hasn't been expensive to maintain. It looks pretty good. And they are now going for a decent price. I've seen them for less than $12,000 with under 50,000 miles. My suggestion is if you MUST have this car, go for the 2014 or newer. The engine is better and they fixed the gearing issues in both the auto and standard. I'm not sure about the ABS, but I cant imagine they didn't do something to improve that as well.

17" Tires Extremely Prone to Damage

jjbaltimore, 03/03/2014
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Elantra GT 2013 this past October. I loved the panoramic sunroof and got the style package. This included 17" low profile wheels and tires which look great, but BEWARE. Within 3 weeks this winter, average road conditions (meaning lots of potholes) resulted in 3 tires developing 3 sidewall bubbles. This included a tire that had just been replaced. There is an entire forum on this problem with this car and these tires. Read it. http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t35968_ds499866?actionMessages=Your+answer+has+been+posted.

Very nice car

blou2, 09/04/2012

Traded a 2012 ford focus titanium for the 2013 loaded elantra gt...had nothing but trouble with the focus and so far everything works in the elantra and is as nice as the build and style of the focus...the elantra drives smooth and gives the feel of confidence....took a large monetary hit trading a 8 month old car but glad we did...the Hyundai is a very nice suprize....B-lou

Hyundai Continues to compete and win with Elantra GT base

salmonking46, 09/30/2012

If you are in the market for a car that is the perfect combination of fun, affordable, and functional the Elantra GT beckons a look. The Bluetooth functionality is practical and fun, Blulink is a useful. The steering mode option is clever, and again practical and fun. Eco mode is great for economy, averaged 39 mpg on the interstate first time out. Turning Eco off gives you some extra punch in the pedal. The seats are a comfortable compliment to a stable ride that seems to mix sporty attitude with touring comfort perfectly. Standard heated seats are an unexpected bit of luxury. It would be nice to have more compartments for storage. Exterior appearance beats the competitors by far.

Better than Ford Focus

justaguy6, 10/21/2012

Owning a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback for 5 months, I was in the shop 4 times for transmission issues and once for the nav/audio screen shutting off. All in all, it was a mess. I have purchased a silver elantra gt with tech and style package, manual transmission. Owning it for about a week, I am averaging 37 mpg (not sure where everyone else is driving). Prior to Ford, I was a BMW owner (2003) - fed up with costs to own. Although this is no BMW, this car is a lot of fun. Feel solid and handles pretty well for a car in this segment.

GT rocks!

capte, 09/21/2012

I purchased a 2013 Elantra GT with the 6 speed manual shifter and am more than pleased. After breifly owning a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback for a week and returning it because of automatic transmission issues, I decided no more automatics in small cars. The manual tranny in the GT is smooth with reasonably short throws. I installed 17 inch wheels with Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires and the improved cornering and traction is noticeable. It now handles as well in the corners as the Focus did, without the reliability issues that Ford has always been known for. The interior quality and noise levels are better in the GT than the Focus and the controls in the GT are much more intuitive.

After 3000 Miles - There are some regrets

efav, 12/12/2012

Bought it because it had good cargo space, 4 and 5 star crash test ratings, it was comfortable, good warranty, and sticker said 28-39 mpg. Figured with good mileage like that, I could spend the extra money and buy this car as a long term investment. The reality is the mileage is awful when compared to the sticker. Like other reviewers here, my real world MPG is 25 city, 26/27 on my commute, and 31 road trip with no stops for over 300 miles. Quite disappointed. I am conservative driver, and received 29-33 in my old Sentra. The refund program will reimburse me for only 1 mpg difference, not 5-7 mpg difference. The cost of the MPG difference will cost me almost $400/yr more at current prices.

Love my baby ...however...BEWARE OF HANKOOKS!!

Kimberly B, 12/08/2015
PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I love this car. I have every bell and whistle available. While I feel I got a decent deal compared to original sticker, I was dismayed to find the trade or resale is much less than projected. It is fun to drive, electronics and sound are great. Full sun roof is awesome! Heated leather seat warm uniformly. The MPG is NOWHERE near what they claim, not matter is driving highway or city. It is apps 7-10 mpg less than they tell you. Blue link is something they don't fill you in on completely. For the full suite of services it runs $300/year. The navigation service thru Blue link is $99/ year and gives no better info than your average smart phone. I have Navi on my touch screen so it adds no value to me. I have the emergency response & vehicle maintenance service $99/yr. My husband bought me the $99 remote start/lock/etc. Worthless. Works from a cell app and no matter if on 4G or Wifi, the service only works 3 out of 10 times and never on a cold snowy day...because the servers are overwhelmed. BEWARE STOCK HANKOOKS! My car had 12000 miles and I had 2 sidewall bubbles. I hit nothing. My rims are pristine and my alignment is perfect. I have researched, this is common due to incompatibility with the suspension of the vehicle and the material of these low profile tires and neither Hankook or Hyundai will do anything about it. I was told that I had to upgrade from the 426 to the Venture Noble 2. 5 months later, bubbles in the new sidewalls. So in the 1st year of ownership, I am about to buy tires #5&6. Also, the stock 426's SUCK MAJORLY in rain or ANY snow or ice. The the Venture Noble were not run in snow since only lasted 6 mths. The new tire will be Michelin Premeir AS since this is what other owners have had positive experiences with. Warranty is good on paper, but be aware that they will try to get out of any and everything at the dealer. They fought with me over window trim that simply flew off of a car that has only been hand washed. I had to create a nuisance on social media for them to pay attention. Also, they try to convince you that you need required service check points. Consult your manual. Most service can be done anywhere with proper recordkeeping. The dealer will try to upsell and make their quotas. Check points are merely selling tactics. Over all I love my car, but I would have hesitated had I known what I do and asked the right questions. Live and learn. Hope my review helps someone. UPDATE ****** The Michelin Premeir A/S perform beautifully in pouring rain and ponding roads as well as in snow and ice slush conditions. I have them on the front wheels and the only issues I had were from the hankooks on the rear not grabbing. Upgrading the rear tires to the Michelins. Dismayed that in 2 years this will be the 7th & 8th tires I am putting on. Next time, if I buy a hyundai, tire upgrade will be a mandatory condition of purchase.

Love the styling, but shocked at the MPG lie!!

dmortaz, 01/21/2013

Last week we purchased the 2013 Elantra GT with the Touch-and-Go package for our every day commute car! But I am sorely disappointed at the Noise in the cabin specially on the freeway rides. I am also shocked that despite the rebates on the inaccurate Gas Millage claims, our sticker on the car was still showing a 30 MPG average!! This car's dash only shows 24-25 MPG which is far shy of the stickers claim! I wish I had known about the exaggerated millage. I am NOT sure if it would have caused us to change our decision, but now I wonder what other facts the Hyundai folks have been exaggerating about.

Utility, not performance

doug_pardee, 03/21/2013

The Elantra GT is NOT an enthusiast's car. It's an extremely practical car that provides commuters a quiet and comfortable ride in a relatively upscale cabin, with flexibility for carrying passengers and cargo, or for taking road trips. And with excellent mileage if driven conservatively. Gas mileage: by many accounts, the Elantra GT is unusually sensitive to how it's driven. At 60 mph with cruise control on, I get maybe 42 mpg. Mileage drops off sharply with additional speed, or with cruise control off. After a cold start, maybe 15 mpg for the first mile. When slowing, I take my foot completely off the gas to activate Deceleration Fuel CutOff. I've gotten right at 30 mpg on every tankful.

Second time Hyundai owner

furunofan, 10/01/2012

I traded in my 2005 Tucson that I purchased new for this 2013 Elantra GT. The car is really comfortable and has a nice quiet ride for a small car. The value isn't as good as I recieved when purchasing the 2005 Tucson. I think the value of the dollar has decreased to the point imports are having problems keeping the value they offered just 5 years ago. The steering is great. I wanted a Ford Focus until I test drove one and found the steering radius was not what I expected from a small car. The GT steering has three modes and all drive really well. I had problems getting a manual transmission but I didn't want to pay the xtra for an automatic.

A great car

Nate, 07/18/2016
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

In my opinion, the 2013 Elantra GT is the perfect car for someone looking for a great blend of reliability, efficiency, and low cost of maintenance. My commute calls for in-town driving, but my job has me on the interstate with regularity; the car performs very well in both circumstances. The car is fun to drive, has great visibility, and handles extremely well; having said that, if snowy conditions make you nervous, you might prefer an AWD vehicle. (For my part, I have never had a problem with it in the snow.) The Hyundai warranty is second to none. As for maintenance and mechanical considerations, the car has been extremely reliable: Mine has about 71,000 miles on it, and have had no issues outside normal maintenance. Basically, if you're looking for a reliable, economical vehicle that is great for daily use either in town or on the highway, I cannot recommend this car highly enough. I plan to keep mine for a long time.

Poor quality - so many recalls/defects! (updated)

Doug in Vancouver, 10/13/2016
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

10/7/19 - Update to my earlier review: After having suffered through the false-mpg class action lawsuit debacle, the window trim falling off, and the transmission seal leaking, I have now been notified by Hyundai of yet-another dsn/mfg defect - the panoramic glass sunroofs are prone to random shattering! I have finally decided it's time to cut my losses and sell this lemon. Throughout all these problems, Hyundai has been a real pain to deal with. They just don't seem to care about customer satisfaction, nor about accepting responsibility for their design/mfg defects. My previous Hyundai's were solid (Tiburon, Santa Fe, Veloster) but after this experience, no more Hyundai's for me! ------------------------------------ Earlier review: I purchased my Elantra GT new, and have driven it for four years, putting about 70K miles on it. For the most part, the car has been comfortable and reliable and trouble-free. As is well known, the true MPG is nowhere near the marketing claims by Hyundai (and there is an unresolved class action lawsuit underway to address that). I also had a problem where the rear quarter-panel window trim fell off - fortunately I found a TSB published on the internet about that, so Hyundai fixed it under warranty. However, I recently had a problem where the clutch started chattering/slipping. My mechanic discovered that the transmission input shaft seal was defective/leaking. Even though this is covered by the Hyundai 10 year/100K warranty - Hyundai refused to honor the warranty and pay for the repair. So if you are considering buying a Hyundai vehicle, I would recommend purchasing instead a vehicle with higher quality/reliability and from a manufacturer who stands behind their product and their warranty commitments (think Honda, Toyota, Mazda). And definitely don't count on the Hyundai 10 year/100K warranty actually providing you any protection from product defects. UPDATE OCT 2017: Hyundai continues to disappoint me with their terrible customer service. They truly seem not to care whether or not their customers are happy with their Hyundai vehicle. At this point in time (after having been a loyal multiple-car Hyundai customer) I have zero loyalty toward them, and I will definitely not even consider ever purchasing another Hyundai product again. Honda offers much superior products and customer service! My advice to anyone considering buying a Hyundai vehicle is DON'T DO IT!!!

It's a Love-Hate Relationship

nanne8, 07/28/2013

I've had this car for about six months and have some regrets about buying it. It looks great - both the interior and exterior designs are excellent. And the technology it's equipped with (I have the tech/style pkg) beats any other car in its segment. However, there are some major deficiencies: (1) the gas mileage is nowhere near what Hyundai claims. The most I've ever gotten is 30mpg highway and 27 combined. That's driving conservatively in eco mode the entire time; (2) the ride is VERY harsh - you feel every (I mean EVERY) bump in the road and forget about going over rough pavement, bumps, or potholes. I feel like I'm riding in a school bus. (3) the acceleration/power stinks...badly.

Tall-friendly and Winter Worthy!

mushamush, 12/02/2013
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Edmunds sent an e-mail to "update" my review yet again. I still own it, I still love it. No mechanical issues! Edmunds sent an e-mail to "update" my review as it's going on year 3. So, here goes. As my first Hyundai, going on year 3 I continue to be impressed. I've yet to have any mechanical or quality issue arise with this little GT. We just got back from a weekend road trip, averaged 39.6 miles per gallon on the trip. Still tight as a drum, no creaks, no rattles, no noises what-so-ever. It's been through 3 Minnesota winters (2014 we were hitting -30F outside) and it performed just like any other day. The only possible "con" I have is the wheels and tires. There's nothing wrong with them, but these low profile 17" tires cost more than a 195/65 R-15 tire by anywhere from $20-40 per tire. So when the time comes, I will replace the OEM stuff with 15" wheels and tires. Will be more resistant to wheel scratches from potholes as a bonus! This car has been incredible so far. I'm 6'3", 175 pounds. I fit comfortably, better yet, I can fit 3 more 6'+ people with no problem. Ride quality, engine noise and road noise all exceed my expectations in a very good way. I own a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 as well, the difference is staggering, and I love that car! The attention to detail and material quality really sets it apart from a lot of cars. Nothing feels cheap (and this is a Hyundai! Man, they've come a long way), nothing creaks or pops going down the road. I'm used to these small, 4 cylinder econoboxes being complete rattletraps. Not anymore. And it does well in snow. I couldn't be happier.

Amazed!

tammielb, 04/19/2014

I recently purchased the Hyundai Elantra GT...and I love it. I was driving a Lexus RX 350 which had been a wonderful car. But it was 8 years old and time for a replacement. I'm a single mom and a teacher so another Lexus was not in my price range. I researched tons of vehicles trying to find the most for my money and hoping I wouldn't be missing the Lexus. The Elantra was it! The ride, the comfort, the bells and whistles...all of it. I don't miss my Lexus at all. I got it fully loaded and it was totally in my price range. In fact, dare I say it's more fun to drive. A little smaller and zippier around the neighborhood. My 10 and 13 year old boys even like my new car better. :)

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT

bcgordy1, 09/01/2012

Just bought the car a couple of weeks ago. Had narrowed decision down to Toyota Prius or the GT. Decided on the GT because of price, standard features, warranty, no batteries to replace and, believe it or not, quietness! Admitedly it is a little smaller than the Prius but we are empty nesters in our 60's looking for an around town/short road trip car. The car is a joy to drive and so quiet. Suspension is "sports", i.e., fairly stiff. Car feels solid.

Great car regardless of cost

motosys, 04/29/2014

I got the touch and go package I really liked the Wheels and really wanted the proximity key. The Voice commands are the best of any that I have used and really like it and use it. The performance is acceptable and can get out of its own way. I went in to the dealership to look at the velositer and was very disappointed by the performance. The sales lady showed me the Elantra GT and it was much snappier and better. The fuel economy I get isn't as bad as others I have owned it for 9 months and 20000 miles I have seen in 45MPG in summer using summer gas and going down hill most of the way. most of the time combined would be 32-33MPG on summer gas on winter gas 27-31.

Careful. This LEMON needs a lot of work.

elantragtowner, 02/08/2013

I purchased this brand new 3 months ago, and am now having to take it in for it's 7th or 8th visit. I've lost track. The vehicle steering system was defective or just poor design to begin with. On the highway, if I relaxed my hand, it would fly off the road to the left. It was very dangerous, and I got into a few close calls because of this. It took 6 attempts for the shop to get it adequate. By adequate I mean it isn't 100%, but they fixed it "enough" to where I can tolerate it. Now I have to take the vehicle in again due to engine trouble. It's been taking the engine 20-30 seconds to wind down from 5,000RPM to 1000RPM when you shift into neutral. It's getting worse. Not happy at all.

dissapointing gas mileage

tracey17, 01/28/2014

This car is reasonably zippy for a small car, although not quite as good as my first impression during the test drives. The fuel economy was a big factor in choosing this car and, in this, I am very dissapointed. I drove a manual 2001 Honda Civic EX for a few years prior and I LOVED that car...plenty of zip and mpg ranged from 32-34. I drove a couple different years of Ford Escape as a company car as well and it was a solid 24mpg. It is a tough MN winter and I am seeing 17-21mpg in this ElantraGT. In the couple months before the snow hit I was still lucky to get 26mpg overall and 32mpg on the highway, even in Eco-mode and being very conscientious about driving conservatively for a week.

Great value

stankjenkins, 04/25/2015
4dr Hatchback w/Blue Interior (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Owned the car for roughly a year now and I haven't had a single problem in the first 9k miles. On top of that, the dealer I work for bought in two other 2013 Elantra GTs within the last week(one with 3k miles, one with 22k miles) and the only thing found in the 22k mile elantra was that it needed a couple of new tires. The mileage is great, I average 25-27 in the city and 32-35 on the highway, can be more or less depending on conditions and traffic.

Great Car, Known Problem with 1.8L

Jared Rella, 02/12/2018
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I got a used 2013 Hyundai Elantra with 106k miles on it for $8,000 in May 2017. I thought it was an incredible amount of car and features for the money. I loved it for about 8 months until it started making a loud ticking noise in the winter. I brought it to a local shop and they told me I had metal flakes in my oil, probably from a spun bearing. I would need a new engine. At the time my car had 123k miles on it, and Hyundai would not help me out at all with the repair because it was out of warranty. The fact that a barely five year old car needed a new engine frustrated me. After some research I found that other people with Elantra sedans and hatchbacks have had the same problem with the 1.8L engine, with most of them being replaced under warranty. I personally knew of two other people with Elantras needing to replace their 1.8L engine as well. Hyundai apparently doesn’t think it’s a big enough issue for a recall though. They’re decent cars but if you’re looking at an Elantra with the 1.8L, I wouldn’t buy it if it’s out of warranty. I ended up trading it in for a 2018 Corolla iM.

Great Economy Car... with Style

denx57, 08/21/2014

I bought my '13 GT just over 15 months ago. It now has 36,000 miles and no issues whatsoever. I average 36mpg driving 80% highway... not bad at all. I highly recommend a test drive if you're shopping for a reliable, stylish hatchback.

So far, so good...

richmonder1, 09/22/2013

I've had my Elantra GT almost three months and nearly 4000 miles. Mine came with the "Touch & Go" package. Additionally, I preferred the manual transmission. Which brings me to the point of my review: I am getting better than the advertised mileage. On the highway, with limits varying between 55 mph and 70 mph, I typically get between 39 and 40 mpg. Sometimes more but rarely less. Around town, I can get as much as 31 to 32 mpg or as little as 27 mpg. Typically, it will depend on the number of stoplights that trip has. Even with a canoe and a kayak on a Yakima rack, I was able to get 31 mpg on country secondary roads with 55 mph speed limits. The difference might be the transmission

Great Small Family Car

rem836, 02/23/2014
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I shopped and shopped and finally decided on the Elantra GT. Main factors in my decision were price and cargo space. I was a bit worried about fitting two car seats in the back seat, but both fit comfortably and the middle cup holder can still flip down...not that I'm going to show that feature to my kids! The car handled well in the winter ice and snow. We do have some trouble fitting everything into the car when traveling with 4 people. Thinking a roof top bag will help solve this problem. Since I didn't get roof rails, I am slightly worried about damage to the door areas where the straps will press, but we'll see. Still love the car after 2.5 years.

Nice Ride!

antoniog71, 04/22/2013

This car is simply awesome. Looks very small, but it is VERY comfortable, even for big people like me and my family. It rides super slick and it looks nice as well. The interior is nice, very nice. This car is perfect for any 4 people, can fit 5, but looks like it will not be comfortable. Besides it being a GT, it is a good purchase for my family. It will be used to take us anywhere, and the mileage on this car is sweet. Nice Ride! You can't go wrong with this car.

Beware of Hyundai Elantra engine issues!!!

Cassie Kottke, 03/09/2019
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

We all have recently found out about the recall Hyundai made on it's 2011-2013 Tucson's but it has also been covering up an issue with the Elantra. I recently took my 2013 Hyundai Elantra in due to a loud engine tick at 78,000 miles. I had regular oil changes done on the car and had never had any issues with the car up to this point. I had done extensive research before I took it to the Hyundai dealer and found hundreds of reports online with a similar complaint. Most of the reports resulted in the engine being damaged and needing to be replaced.Sure enough... I received the same news at the cost of $6500, not to mention the $30 per day in rental car fees and the fact that the engine would take months to get in. Although the mechanic could not tell me exactly what was wrong with the engine, they found metal filings in the oil pan and I was warned not to drive the car because in his words, "the car was dangerous and the engine could seize up."The damage was not covered under the 100,000 power train warranty as I was not the first owner and Hyundai would put NO guaranty on the new engine they put in. My advice to anyone is to trade their car in NOW especially if you are not the first owner. Whatever you do, do not purchase these cars used. Often times the engines have been replaced with the same engines that have had issues in the past.

I like the car but am disappointed in the mileage

bberszoner, 10/16/2012

I have had the car for a couple of weeks and and like lots of things, but a few negatives stand out: (1) the review of the car say the auto transmission is a little lackluster - that is true; (2) the stated mileage is 28/39, but I'm getting 26 with a fair bit of highway driving, so I no longer believe it's possible. What else isn't true?

Pleasantly surprised

bigal11, 07/17/2012

This brand has come a long way. Great commuter. Not as refined in suspension as my '12 Jetta TDI but very good. MPG on 2 tanks: 38 and 41, better than the Jetta diesel. Easy 6sp to train newbies. Interior, Bluetooth, infotainment jacks, also surprises me. Nice to know my kid won't be tempted into texting at the wheel. I bought it for my daughter to finish High school and go to University. 100K waranty makes me feel much better about that. I simply can't think of a better choice for my purpose.

Love this car, but...I no longer own this car...

cafiestase, 04/06/2013
PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This is my second Elantra...wow, what a difference. The other was a 2008 SE. This has more power, ride is much better. My one is a big difference for the and the wife and I fell in love with lines and the "Red", I mean "Red". I am looking for better mileage, but I only have 1,800 miles on the clock. My last car was a 2011 Ford Fiesta W/6-speed trans that need work at 30K, so we traded it for the Elantra GT, even so, when ever I traveled for over 100 miles, I got a min. of 40mpg so where is the 37mpg Hyundai???

Elantra GT review

zaps, 05/28/2014

very bad MPG it is giving 21MPG only as compared to 34MPG on highway and 24 on interior roads. While driving you can feel it is not smooth and can feel the hardness on accelerator. The Dealer says talk to hyundai and hyundai says talk to dealer. This is worst car i had

LOVE IT!

demarcho, 12/27/2012

I've been driving it for about 2 months now and I absolutely love it! Previously I had a 2005 Elantra... and it is a big upgrade with heated leather seats, Bluetooth, iPod, and Panoramic Sunroof. Lots of options....! This car feels heavier than sturdier than my previous car which makes me feel safer. Mileage... I am getting between 27~29 City and 32~34 Highway (going 75mph). I believe I will get better mileage in milder weather.

Excellent Interior and Value with some regrets

depiction, 05/25/2013

I came from a 2005 Mazda3 and was looking to buy a new hatchback for the versatility. I test drove the Impreza, Mazda3, and the Elantra GT. Thankfully I haven't noticed the MPG problems other owners have mentioned. In mixed driving I'm able to get 30-31 MPG with Active Eco mode off. After a couple tests, I've found Active Eco mode useless. It's a great value with an excellent interior. Unfortunately it's suspension is very harsh and it's a bit noisy (both engine and wind noise). I feel every little bump on the road. even after upgrading to excellent Michelin tires. At 65 MPH, interior noise is about 75 db, as measured by an app on my iPhone. A 2010 Mazda3 measures about 70 db.

Push Button Start Not Working

nothappy2013, 12/09/2013

Purchased the 2013 Elantra GT 8/31/13, no start issues until 11/15/13. Very nice vehicle except it will not start daily without pressing the brake and start button multiple times. Stranded once and called Roadside Assistance. They tightened the positive battery terminal. Also stopped at the dealership later the same day and the negative terminal was tightened. Last problem required 19 attempts to start the vehicle, number 20 was the lucky number. A very frustrating problem, dealership tests showed no problems found, certainly something is going on. Second trip to the dealership Tues. 12/10.

A fantastic value, and what a true hatchback should be.

throwingshade, 08/08/2013

I test drove all available 5 door hatchbacks on the market right now, and ended up with the Elantra GT. It was a toss up between it or the Ford Focus for me. What swayed me was the styling, including the interior. Nice! This car sets the bar for style and good looks. Also the warranties and standard feature set can't be beat. Although I did opt for the touch and go package, which includes keyless entry with push button start, sport suspension and 17 inch wheels. Hyundai has come a long way since the Excel, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. Toyota & Honda better do some homework, especially with their styling. Hyundais' are much better looking, inside and out.

Disappointing fuel economy, but I still LOVE it

stephen_b, 12/21/2012

What initially drove me to look at the GT was the fuel economy, but what sold me was the sleek styling and comfortable roomy interior. I am 6'3 and have ample head and leg room. The leather seats are very comfortable. And the car just looks sexy. I got it in red with tan leather and the style package, and it's just beautiful. It is visually far more appealing than any other car in it's class, imo. The only issue I have with it is the disappointing fuel economy. I have only had it for a little less than a month, but it's averaging about 25-26 mpg with a substantial amount of highway driving. I've only had it for a month, and put about 1k miles on it. I also live in a congested area.

My GT

Jack Accountius, 09/19/2016
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Has been an excellent car. 63000 miles and has never needed any repair. Live on a dirt road, but this never phased the car. One of the best I have ever driven in ice and snow.

So far, things have been great.

Scott, 10/31/2016
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We love our little Elantra GT. So far, doing the oil changes in my garage (and air cleaners, etc)and keeping receipts, etc it has not seen a dealer. This is the first car I've owned in my life that has not had a single thing go wrong in the first three years. I am impressed. As far as the car itself? It's really best to test drive it yourself. Compared to the 2001 compact car from another brand it replaced, it's night and day. Compact cars have come A LONG way. Quiet, smooth ride. Zero engine noise, even at highway speeds. This is new to me. I am very used to listening to engine drone, but this car can be heard while accelerating, then it goes quiet. It's amazing. Also, this car fits 4 6'+ people in it. Comfortably. It's one of the main reasons I was attracted to this car. Unbelievable passenger space and comfort. Lastly, I've heard people are having trouble with the tires. I haven't seen this yet (I live in Minnesota). But I will say, when the time comes, I'm going to purchase new 15" wheels and 195/65/R15 tires for it. I am no fan of low profile tires. The whole concept is silly. There are many downsides and zero real world advantages. Most importantly? 15" tires cost a lot less than 17" ones. WAY less. Just an example? Continental true contact, 15" standard profile, $82. The 17" low profile the car comes with? $123 a piece. 50% more per tire! So that's the only "con" I can think of. But it's easily remedied with a 1-time purchase of $75 wheels. Most cars are putting low profile tires on the higher trim packages, and the first thing I do is replace them when the time comes.

Best new car purchase I've ever made.

nokstar, 01/08/2017
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

As the title states. This car has had no problems and has been successful as my go-to reliable daily driver. I run this car hard, every day and it keeps on giving. Another great thing is the fact that it came stock with foglamps, bluetooth (which allows me to receive hands-free calls, listen to music which is controlled by steering wheel controls, run gps all from one source), heated seats, power everything, and alloy wheels. 10/10, would buy again.

Great car and not a sports car - update

George, 03/05/2017
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Update: I have had my GT for over a year and continue to love it for the most part. I enjoy driving it and find it very comfortable for commuting and long trips. It is not meant to be a sports car and has plenty of power for me. I am disappointed in the gas mileage, around 26 mpg in all around driving, which seems low to me for a car and engine of this size. This is down a bit from my original review and that may be a result of winter driving. The push button door lock stopped working on the drivers side, which is the only non-standard maintenance I have had to do. Would I buy this car again? Yes. I love the sporty lines and the interior and the money I saved over a Civic or Mazda 3 more than pays for the lower gas mileage. Original review: I have had my GT for 3 months now and absolutely love it. I read all the reviews and those disappointed with it seem to want a sports car - I guess because of the GT designation. It is NOT a sports car but it is a solid, comfortable, versatile hatchback. I won't beat too many people off the line, but that is not why I bought it. It is plenty quick enough for me and is much quieter on the highway than any other small car I have had. I am a manual driver, but went with the automatic for this one because of my new commute. I find the 6 speed automatic to be more than serviceable and keep it in ECO mode most of the time. I love the lines and interior and it has everything I want and more. Fold down the rear seats and there is plenty of room for your stuff. For me that means bikes, lacrosse equipment, golf clubs, etc. My one slight disappointment is the gas mileage, which I expected to be better for an economy hatchback. I average about 28 in combined driving and I have a fairly light foot. If you want a comfortable, nice looking, versatile small car, I recommend you include this on your list of options.

great value for a semi-sporty versatile hatchback

Slippy, 11/06/2018
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I chose this car as a pre-owned with around 25k miles for $10500. It seemed like a good alternative to less equipped options. Heated leather seats, a giant sun-roof, and a fun ride sold me quickly. Having owned it for a while now, I think it's an amazing valued car. It lacks the power to really fly, but it sticks to corners shockingly well. Truly fun to drive hard around a tight corner until it slides, which is way later than expected for a cheap fwp hatchback. It handles like a car twice its cost on a curvy mountain road, and the power is enough if you're hammering it and already at some speed. The stiffened suspension and better handling vs the standard sedan version is very obvious. I found getting the right set up has made a huge difference in snow. I messed around with different options and found it really handles well with the right tire, psi, and rim size. Idk why Hyundai doesn't stock it with something better, because the factory tires were absolute garbage on anything wet or slick, and the car is definitely capable of handling better. For me the gas mileage is fine if you're not trying to be super eco, if shifting conservatively I'll end up around 32mpg and even with higher rpm driving its never worse than 25. Some of the interior feels a bit cheap considering it has the highest end trim package that was available, but for the price nothing feels "bad", and some things feel noticeably comfortable. Its somewhere between a college students first cheap real car and a versatile hatchback for a family, but priced at the same point with much worse competition. Would buy again.

Engine failure at 68k miles!

Kurt, 02/05/2019
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I'm very frustrated with Edmunds.com because I trusted the good reviews of this car. We bought our 2013 Elantra GT 8 months ago and have barely put 3k miles on it. A few months go we started hearing tapping noise that went away after the engine warmed up. The noise became a full-blown knocking deep in the engine that becomes more frequent as the car accelerates. We took it to a Hyundai dealership and were told that there was a lot of metal in the oil and the engine was basically useless. The only solution is to replace it. The dealership has blamed this problem on poor owner maintenance. After further Google research I've discovered that engine failure for 2011-2018 Elantra's with the Nu 1.8L model is very common but Hyundai refuses to admit that it's a manufacturing defect. However this only seems to be the case in the US. Canadian owners of the Nu 1.8L engine get theirs replaced upon experiencing the knocking and metal shavings in the oil--at no cost to the owner (our Hyundai dealer quoted $6k for the replacement). This indicates that Hyundai knows and acknowledges the defect but wont extend the replacement to the US because we dont have consumer protection laws like Canada. In short, I'm stuck with a car that the dealership will give $1000 as trade-in (We still owe $7000), or I can spend $6000 to replace the engine. I'm considering joining in the class-action lawsuit against Hyundai. [HTML removed]

Very disappointed in MPG

ecormack, 09/08/2012

I compared a few different vehicles reported to get decent gas milage. I went with this because i really like the styling and i figured id get at least 28-30mpg. I'm getting 25. My previous vehicle was a 1998 subaru legacy wagon. With that I got 23MPG doing the same driving, and i had a much heavier foot then. I'm using eco boost, Driving more conservatively than I used to and still getting, what I consider, poor gas milage for what this vehicle is. Other than that I love it. although, because you cant see the hood when you are seated in the car, I have a hard time judging how close i pull to something. I've only had it a month though.

miss my subaru

ecormack, 06/23/2013

very disappointed in my gas milage. Best I've gotten is 27mpg. My subaru with all wheel drive got that. I should have gotten something different

Very satisfied

h2lemonwedge, 09/25/2012

I just picked mine up from the dealer yesterday; I had the opportunity to take the car for the weekend while my wife and I "talked" about it a little more. As disappointed as I was to find that this class of car has gone up in price in recent years I feel I got alot for my money. I like the standard features that come with the car.

love it except ...

sharoniowa, 01/13/2014

This car handles well in the snow and ice with impressive lower gears available in the automatic. It's comfortable and attractive.

could be wears

curt, 04/23/2016
PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

not the wears car iv ever owned but i would not recommend i tell people to stay away from 20013 Elantra mpg is way off what they say gear shifting could be a lot better rear end of car over bumps fells like it lifting off the ground had the car one session and that when the issues started found out in the spring of 2015 the a/c did not work took it to the dealer nothing wrong but needed a recharge could not find the leak work all summer well this spring i noticed it did not work again so i have to take it in still can not find the leak this is just one problem was parked in my drive way one morning found out my car would not start light would come on but engine would not start after 20 mins of trying to find out what was wrong at 6am got made hit the shiftier car starts up ok went to work did this on 7 time the past year well iv decided after reading thing on the internet that Hyundai made [non-permissible content removed] Elantra that year getting read of this car this week shame not even 52000 miles on it

51050