Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews

Used Elantra GT for Sale
Select your model:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

Great car regardless of cost

motosys, 04/29/2014

I got the touch and go package I really liked the Wheels and really wanted the proximity key. The Voice commands are the best of any that I have used and really like it and use it. The performance is acceptable and can get out of its own way. I went in to the dealership to look at the velositer and was very disappointed by the performance. The sales lady showed me the Elantra GT and it was much snappier and better. The fuel economy I get isn't as bad as others I have owned it for 9 months and 20000 miles I have seen in 45MPG in summer using summer gas and going down hill most of the way. most of the time combined would be 32-33MPG on summer gas on winter gas 27-31.

Careful. This LEMON needs a lot of work.

elantragtowner, 02/08/2013

I purchased this brand new 3 months ago, and am now having to take it in for it's 7th or 8th visit. I've lost track. The vehicle steering system was defective or just poor design to begin with. On the highway, if I relaxed my hand, it would fly off the road to the left. It was very dangerous, and I got into a few close calls because of this. It took 6 attempts for the shop to get it adequate. By adequate I mean it isn't 100%, but they fixed it "enough" to where I can tolerate it. Now I have to take the vehicle in again due to engine trouble. It's been taking the engine 20-30 seconds to wind down from 5,000RPM to 1000RPM when you shift into neutral. It's getting worse. Not happy at all.

dissapointing gas mileage

tracey17, 01/28/2014

This car is reasonably zippy for a small car, although not quite as good as my first impression during the test drives. The fuel economy was a big factor in choosing this car and, in this, I am very dissapointed. I drove a manual 2001 Honda Civic EX for a few years prior and I LOVED that car...plenty of zip and mpg ranged from 32-34. I drove a couple different years of Ford Escape as a company car as well and it was a solid 24mpg. It is a tough MN winter and I am seeing 17-21mpg in this ElantraGT. In the couple months before the snow hit I was still lucky to get 26mpg overall and 32mpg on the highway, even in Eco-mode and being very conscientious about driving conservatively for a week.

Great value

stankjenkins, 04/25/2015
4dr Hatchback w/Blue Interior (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Owned the car for roughly a year now and I haven't had a single problem in the first 9k miles. On top of that, the dealer I work for bought in two other 2013 Elantra GTs within the last week(one with 3k miles, one with 22k miles) and the only thing found in the 22k mile elantra was that it needed a couple of new tires. The mileage is great, I average 25-27 in the city and 32-35 on the highway, can be more or less depending on conditions and traffic.

Great Car, Known Problem with 1.8L

Jared Rella, 02/12/2018
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I got a used 2013 Hyundai Elantra with 106k miles on it for $8,000 in May 2017. I thought it was an incredible amount of car and features for the money. I loved it for about 8 months until it started making a loud ticking noise in the winter. I brought it to a local shop and they told me I had metal flakes in my oil, probably from a spun bearing. I would need a new engine. At the time my car had 123k miles on it, and Hyundai would not help me out at all with the repair because it was out of warranty. The fact that a barely five year old car needed a new engine frustrated me. After some research I found that other people with Elantra sedans and hatchbacks have had the same problem with the 1.8L engine, with most of them being replaced under warranty. I personally knew of two other people with Elantras needing to replace their 1.8L engine as well. Hyundai apparently doesn’t think it’s a big enough issue for a recall though. They’re decent cars but if you’re looking at an Elantra with the 1.8L, I wouldn’t buy it if it’s out of warranty. I ended up trading it in for a 2018 Corolla iM.

Great Economy Car... with Style

denx57, 08/21/2014

I bought my '13 GT just over 15 months ago. It now has 36,000 miles and no issues whatsoever. I average 36mpg driving 80% highway... not bad at all. I highly recommend a test drive if you're shopping for a reliable, stylish hatchback.

So far, so good...

richmonder1, 09/22/2013

I've had my Elantra GT almost three months and nearly 4000 miles. Mine came with the "Touch & Go" package. Additionally, I preferred the manual transmission. Which brings me to the point of my review: I am getting better than the advertised mileage. On the highway, with limits varying between 55 mph and 70 mph, I typically get between 39 and 40 mpg. Sometimes more but rarely less. Around town, I can get as much as 31 to 32 mpg or as little as 27 mpg. Typically, it will depend on the number of stoplights that trip has. Even with a canoe and a kayak on a Yakima rack, I was able to get 31 mpg on country secondary roads with 55 mph speed limits. The difference might be the transmission

Great Small Family Car

rem836, 02/23/2014
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I shopped and shopped and finally decided on the Elantra GT. Main factors in my decision were price and cargo space. I was a bit worried about fitting two car seats in the back seat, but both fit comfortably and the middle cup holder can still flip down...not that I'm going to show that feature to my kids! The car handled well in the winter ice and snow. We do have some trouble fitting everything into the car when traveling with 4 people. Thinking a roof top bag will help solve this problem. Since I didn't get roof rails, I am slightly worried about damage to the door areas where the straps will press, but we'll see. Still love the car after 2.5 years.

Nice Ride!

antoniog71, 04/22/2013

This car is simply awesome. Looks very small, but it is VERY comfortable, even for big people like me and my family. It rides super slick and it looks nice as well. The interior is nice, very nice. This car is perfect for any 4 people, can fit 5, but looks like it will not be comfortable. Besides it being a GT, it is a good purchase for my family. It will be used to take us anywhere, and the mileage on this car is sweet. Nice Ride! You can't go wrong with this car.

Beware of Hyundai Elantra engine issues!!!

Cassie Kottke, 03/09/2019
4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

We all have recently found out about the recall Hyundai made on it's 2011-2013 Tucson's but it has also been covering up an issue with the Elantra. I recently took my 2013 Hyundai Elantra in due to a loud engine tick at 78,000 miles. I had regular oil changes done on the car and had never had any issues with the car up to this point. I had done extensive research before I took it to the Hyundai dealer and found hundreds of reports online with a similar complaint. Most of the reports resulted in the engine being damaged and needing to be replaced.Sure enough... I received the same news at the cost of $6500, not to mention the $30 per day in rental car fees and the fact that the engine would take months to get in. Although the mechanic could not tell me exactly what was wrong with the engine, they found metal filings in the oil pan and I was warned not to drive the car because in his words, "the car was dangerous and the engine could seize up."The damage was not covered under the 100,000 power train warranty as I was not the first owner and Hyundai would put NO guaranty on the new engine they put in. My advice to anyone is to trade their car in NOW especially if you are not the first owner. Whatever you do, do not purchase these cars used. Often times the engines have been replaced with the same engines that have had issues in the past.

12345...6