Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra GT model:

Great Car, Known Problem with 1.8L
By Jared Rella

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I got a used 2013 Hyundai Elantra with 106k miles on it for $8,000 in May 2017. I thought it was an incredible amount of car and features for the money. I loved it for about 8 months until it started making a loud ticking noise in the winter. I brought it to a local shop and they told me I had metal flakes in my oil, probably from a spun bearing. I would need a new engine. At the time my car had 123k miles on it, and Hyundai would not help me out at all with the repair because it was out of warranty. The fact that a barely five year old car needed a new engine frustrated me. After some research I found that other people with Elantra sedans and hatchbacks have had the same problem with the 1.8L engine, with most of them being replaced under warranty. I personally knew of two other people with Elantras needing to replace their 1.8L engine as well. Hyundai apparently doesn’t think it’s a big enough issue for a recall though. They’re decent cars but if you’re looking at an Elantra with the 1.8L, I wouldn’t buy it if it’s out of warranty. I ended up trading it in for a 2018 Corolla iM.

Great hatchback. Great car for the money.
By Walter lewis

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

One of the better cars I have bought. Very easy to use electronics. User friendly. Seats could be a bit more plush. These are very firm which means will hold up well but would rather have Ricarro (sp)? Type seats. Mine has 7 inch screen and upgraded stereo system which I havnt seen in any other GTs? Dealer doesn't know why other GTs are a bit different than others? Controls are a bit different also? Bought new and no other among 50 or so was like mine. Makes it hard to valuate tho. Going to buy new 2019 Veloster if I like, when it comes out later this year. The Turbo model. Has all the latest assist technology which I like (getting old, you know)

Great car and not a sports car - update
By George

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Update: I have had my GT for over a year and continue to love it for the most part. I enjoy driving it and find it very comfortable for commuting and long trips. It is not meant to be a sports car and has plenty of power for me. I am disappointed in the gas mileage, around 26 mpg in all around driving, which seems low to me for a car and engine of this size. This is down a bit from my original review and that may be a result of winter driving. The push button door lock stopped working on the drivers side, which is the only non-standard maintenance I have had to do. Would I buy this car again? Yes. I love the sporty lines and the interior and the money I saved over a Civic or Mazda 3 more than pays for the lower gas mileage.

Original review:
I have had my GT for 3 months now and absolutely love it. I read all the reviews and those disappointed with it seem to want a sports car - I guess because of the GT designation. It is NOT a sports car but it is a solid, comfortable, versatile hatchback. I won't beat too many people off the line, but that is not why I bought it. It is plenty quick enough for me and is much quieter on the highway than any other small car I have had. I am a manual driver, but went with the automatic for this one because of my new commute. I find the 6 speed automatic to be more than serviceable and keep it in ECO mode most of the time. I love the lines and interior and it has everything I want and more. Fold down the rear seats and there is plenty of room for your stuff. For me that means bikes, lacrosse equipment, golf clubs, etc. My one slight disappointment is the gas mileage, which I expected to be better for an economy hatchback. I average about 28 in combined driving and I have a fairly light foot. If you want a comfortable, nice looking, versatile small car, I recommend you include this on your list of options.

Perfect little clown car. Love it!
By Shopalot

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Even though I was on a budget for this car, I still wanted my usual extras and that happened purchasing a pre-owned Elantra GT. It's relatively small but quite the little power bullet that I enjoy driving. If you're very tall this vehicle may not be the one for you. It has a lumbar drivers seat but it could be a lot more comfortable seating. Get a lumbar back cushion, it worked for me.

Best new car purchase I've ever made.
By nokstar

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

As the title states. This car has had no problems and has been successful as my go-to reliable daily driver. I run this car hard, every day and it keeps on giving. Another great thing is the fact that it came stock with foglamps, bluetooth (which allows me to receive hands-free calls, listen to music which is controlled by steering wheel controls, run gps all from one source), heated seats, power everything, and alloy wheels. 10/10, would buy again.