Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra GT model:

Doesn't Go In The Snow
By Joe Vitiello

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

It was a nice car, maybe a bit small for my needs even with the rear seat folding down. But my decision on not to buy it came from on-line reviews of current owners stating that "The Hyundai Elantra GT is very difficult to drive in snow. Hard to get traction even with snow tires." So it indicated to me that the car is too light for snow conditions even though it is front wheel drive with the engine weight located over the front drive wheels/tires. One person had to change not only all 4 tires to snow tires, but indicated he had to replace the rear struts with heavy duty name branded struts in order to get it to drive in the snow. I understand this condition as my daughter had a 2008 Mazda 3 that even with snow tire was very difficult and challenging to drive in the snow even with expensive snow tires (all 4 tires).

So far, things have been great.
By Scott

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We love our little Elantra GT. So far, doing the oil changes in my garage (and air cleaners, etc)and keeping receipts, etc it has not seen a dealer. This is the first car I've owned in my life that has not had a single thing go wrong in the first three years. I am impressed. As far as the car itself? It's really best to test drive it yourself. Compared to the 2001 compact car from another brand it replaced, it's night and day. Compact cars have come A LONG way. Quiet, smooth ride. Zero engine noise, even at highway speeds. This is new to me. I am very used to listening to engine drone, but this car can be heard while accelerating, then it goes quiet. It's amazing. Also, this car fits 4 6'+ people in it. Comfortably. It's one of the main reasons I was attracted to this car. Unbelievable passenger space and comfort. Lastly, I've heard people are having trouble with the tires. I haven't seen this yet (I live in Minnesota). But I will say, when the time comes, I'm going to purchase new 15" wheels and 195/65/R15 tires for it. I am no fan of low profile tires. The whole concept is silly. There are many downsides and zero real world advantages. Most importantly? 15" tires cost a lot less than 17" ones. WAY less. Just an example? Continental true contact, 15" standard profile, $82. The 17" low profile the car comes with? $123 a piece. 50% more per tire! So that's the only "con" I can think of. But it's easily remedied with a 1-time purchase of $75 wheels. Most cars are putting low profile tires on the higher trim packages, and the first thing I do is replace them when the time comes.

Not a bad car...but Hyundai Warranty is a joke
By Doug in Vancouver

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased my Elantra GT new, and have driven it for four years, putting about 70K miles on it. For the most part, the car has been comfortable and reliable and trouble-free. As is well known, the true MPG is nowhere near the marketing claims by Hyundai (and there is an unresolved class action lawsuit underway to address that). I also had a problem where the rear quarter-panel window trim fell off - fortunately I found a TSB published on the internet about that, so Hyundai fixed it under warranty. However, I recently had a problem where the clutch started chattering/slipping. My mechanic discovered that the transmission input shaft seal was defective/leaking. Even though this is covered by the Hyundai 10 year/100K warranty - Hyundai refused to honor the warranty and pay for the repair. So if you are considering buying a Hyundai vehicle, I would recommend purchasing instead a vehicle with higher quality/reliability and from a manufacturer who stands behind their product and their warranty commitments (think Honda, Toyota, Mazda). And definitely don't count on the Hyundai 10 year/100K warranty actually providing you any protection from product defects.

My GT
By Jack Accountius

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Has been an excellent car. 63000 miles and has never needed any repair. Live on a dirt road, but this never phased the car. One of the best I have ever driven in ice and snow.

Great Little Car
By Tahoedirt

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I'm single with a medium sized dog- We both love the car. I bought a salvage title (from small accident) and stole this guy at almost half price !! Mine only has 15k miles and I've only driven 1500 of that, so it's early on for a review, but I can't find fault anywhere. There's one detail I'll mention- I like to sit up a little higher and I'm 6-3, so I use a foam pad. I don't like sitting down inside a car and prefer to be on top of things.