Used 1999 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Reliability Issues
By CBYC

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

When the vehicle was new it had reliably served its main purpose of hauling kids to sports events and carrying family gear while on vacation. A few years ago we started experiencing problems with the operation of the auto sliding doors (bearing required $ replacement), followed by clogged EGR (poor quality of gas contributed), starter, and now transmission. We bought Honda for its reliability but buyer beware of the first model year of an entirely new redesigned vehicle.

Room, storage and automatic sliding doors. On long trips there is plenty of room for kids to store games in between seats. Picking up a friend is never an issue of space.

Ensure Reliability. Hopefully by now Honda has corrected all the major issues described. It's going to be hard to purchase Honda again having such a disappointing and costly experience.

Transmission Problems
By DogDazeLee

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I bought a certified, pre-owned 1999 Honda Odyssey from Piazza Honda in Drexel Hill, PA, 11 months ago. Engine light just went on at 77,000 miles and I'm being told by (3) transmission specialists and Honda Service that transmission needs to be replaced. Honda dealer refuses to cover any of the repairs. I now understand via the Internet that this has been well documented problem with this vehicle.

Sliding door also malfunctions

Honda 1999, Honda is not what Honda was
By srmorrison56

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Honda engineering is not what it used to be. I've got an Odyssey with 175,000 and two things have happened:

1) The second transmission failed. The transmissions that Honda used for the warranty were rebuilds that were rebuilt with the same garbage parts as the original transmissions. Honda did not fix the design issues. So every 85,000 miles you will need a new transmission for you Odyssey.

2) The ignition switch recall resulted in Honda replacing the contact module. It turns out that Honda used the same approach as the transmissions; They used the same faulty design for the replacement and I just replaced the The ignition switch contact module for the second time.

Handling

Honda will not implement new or improved designs in existing cars so once you have a problem it will be replaced but not improved. I would steer folks to the new Toyota Sienna if they are looking for a van.

Will not buy another Odyssey ever again
By Paul

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

Since I purchased this vehicle, all I had is problems. First, the battery, then a sensor on the automatic doors, then the transmission, which in this vehicles IS MORE EXPENSIVE because is complicated to work on. After 4 months and a lot of money spent, I just traded in for a Quest. I definitely will not buy any Honda SUV or Van ever again. Read the reviews and you will know why.

None.

Transmission. Reliability over all.

The Best
By christina

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I purchased this van at 80,000 miles. It now has 246,000 miles and still run like a champ. It is quite, smooth and great on gas. The only thing I had to replace on this van was the wheel bearings at 200,000 miles and of course breaks and rotors, which my dad and I replaced. The sensor in the cat. converter went out, but didnt replace it and no I haven't replaced the muffler cuz it doesn't need it. The ignition switch was recalled so I replaced that cuz it was free. That is it oh yeah had to replace the starter again did it with my husband. I love this van. Went from Ohio to Daytona beach for $300.00 in gas at 3.27 a gal.

Love the room, the seat that folds down, every thing about it..

The other seats that fold in the floor.