Used 2005 Honda Element Consumer Reviews - 302 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Element

View reviews for a specific Element model:

2004 Element 4WD EX
By Nate Hawkins

2005 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I highly recommend an Element to anyone interested. Goes great in the snow! The all wheel drive is, in my opinion, mandatory. It is seamless. Very reasuring on otherwise hazardous roads. I currently have 51,200 miles (I bought it new) on my 2004 and have had no service issues. This thing is built great! I'm even still on the original tires.

The feel behind the wheel is probably the best feature of this vehicle. It feels so solid, secure. Test drive one and see for yourself!

I would like a little more power. 160 hp is "ok" but I think if we upped it to 200 and put in a 5 speed auto for economy, it would be a great combo. I would also try to find a way to make road noise less pronounced. Quieter tires?

not for elderly passengers
By hawaiigirl

2005 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I truely love to drive this car and its great for just 2 and the dog holds everything, but taking elderly passengers in the back seat can be challenging. They have a hard time getting up and in and getting out. With the front door open, there is no frame for them to hold on to and you need a lot of side space to open the back door. I have a sun roof which can be too bright for those in the back seat while traveling since there is no ceiling panel to close it off. Thinking about tinting it darker. Unless you are a basketball player, you need a ladder to wash this car.

Style is so different it will be a while before I tire of it. Height makes it easy to see in traffic

Darken the tint on the moon roof or add a ceiling panel to close it off

Windshield concerns
By Vick

2005 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The only complaint is that in less than 18 months and more than 30,000 miles of ownership I have experienced THREE windshield cracks from pebbles hitting my windshield. I emphasize pebbles! These were not even what I would classify as small rocks. Two fractures were repairable at $50 each but the third one was a major fracture that could not be repaired and required the windshield be replaced. This has made me seriously consider trading this vehicle in for something else.

Good mileage. Easy to load and unload. Have traveled from Georgia to Ohio, to Maine, to Virginia. My husband is 6'5" and has plenty of head room. Conversation starter.

Either different composition in windshield to withstand chipping better, or angle slightly to deflect better.

Missed your target market by a mile!
By Barb

2005 Honda Element LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned lots of cars, from sports cars to Suburbans to pickup trucks. This is the best! I am an older woman with dogs and an active lifestyle. My husband and I are also King-Sized people and the dogs are Golden Retrievers. We go to dog shows, we drove back and forth to Florida twice, we even go offroad! This car is fabulous AND comfortable. And my i-Pod fits right into it with awesome sound from the sub-woofer. The car is fantastic on our steep driveway in NY for the winters, and great on the sandy beaches. And it is so easily cleaned --- no dog hairs! I think the design is funky and I just love it.

No carpets. Awesome sound system. Plenty of leg and upper body room. Great mileage. Peppy, with good maneuverability.

Rear seats are hard for older, less agile persons to remove or replace. Moon roof should be up front or in the middle, not in the back. More exterior color choices.

Best all around vehicle I've owned
By David George

2005 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

You can take a long trip in this car and not feel completely wrecked when you arrive. Very comfortable ride and tons of passenger space. Limo room, turn on a dime, and short enough to parallel park anywhere! Use the cruise control though; it feels like 50 mph when you're doing 70 mph or better. I have a Honda DelSol which feels like I'm wearing it when I'm driving; the Element is the same length and feels like you're in your living room. I can't say enough. Also 25mpg from day one!

Chair height seating and the ability to configure the seats into a bed are tops on my list. This is my long distance hauler.

Continue the plastic cladding across both doors, joining the front and rear fender lines.