Skip to main content

A long term friend

ELAINE LICARI, 04/03/2016
updated 04/05/2018
LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I hate to sell this car after 13 years of great service. The only reason I am buying a new car is b/c the 2003 has 180,000 miles and I didn't want to push the luck I had for so long. When I went to buy another Honda CRV (stick with a winner), there was another car on the lot just like mine (except it had automatic transmission and mine was manual). It had 400,000 miles on it. I now own a 2016 Honda CRV based on the great experience I had with the 2003, but I must admit, despite the additional bells & whistles on the newer car, I definitely miss my 2003. In addition, I see many of that model on the road after all these years. I wish I could buy another 2003 but brand new.

Decent rig

Jakob Verlinde, 08/24/2016
LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my 2003 Murano that was about to blow up for this 2003 base line CRV. At first I didn't like it but it was the ol' ladies car so it's whatever. Bought it for $5,000 off the lot after everything said and done. The fuel economy is great but the tank is really small so you can get about 300 miles per tank if you don't crack vtec every take off and do massive burnouts... the engine has 140,000 miles and starting making a horendous valve ticking sound I guess it's common and its recommended to get it adjusted every 60,000 miles for $350 at the local Honda dealer (Klein Honda) I said screw that I can get a used engine from Japan with 45,000 miles for $600 if it blows up. I use diesel oil for oil changes and it seems to actually run better on it and it quiets the ticking down. It is a base model so nothing special, the radio screen kinda turns off but if you hit the dash hard enough it turns back on. It's only 2wd which concerned me but I took it out on the beach and smashed on it in the sand, took it out in the mud once too, of course I cleaned it good so I wouldnt be in the dog house but it never once got stuck and it pulled through well. Also I used it to pull my father in laws dodge ram 2500 out from the side of the house and it did great. I use it for everything it's not intended for and it works great.

3 out of 5 stars
1 out of 5 stars
3 out of 5 stars

LOVED My CR-V

jval, 08/17/2011
LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My dad purchased the 2003 CR-V LX 4WD new in 2002. When I was ready to drive, he passed it down to me. I drove it for the next eight years with only a few fixes. The front/rear brakes and alternator were the most major repairs, but with good reason. I went to school in Ithaca, NY for four years and the snow/sleet/hail took its toll. For the winter beatings it went through, it held up great. I recently got in an accident and my CR-V was totaled - a Chevy truck hit my front passenger wheel. The impact hit all the right spots and my poor CR-V couldn't be repaired. It was only at 78,500 miles. It's a HUGE shame - this car had many years left in it. I miss it greatly.

3.13 out of 5 stars

Honda has lost another customer

Angel T. B.Hall, 07/14/2004
LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

three months off the truck, the transmission completely obliterated. Seemingly, endless recalls. Most recently, air bags. In the sixteen months that we have owned this vehicle we have experienced complete A/C failure, trouble switching gears, four recalls for potentially fatal mishaps. And of course the transmission that died on us on our drive back from vacation. Don't make the mistake we did.

3.5 out of 5 stars

Very cramped Noisy but great cargo space

Sam K, 04/19/2010
LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

if you're the primary driver and you're over 5' 7', don't buy unless you want back pain and/or heel pain. I am 5' 10" and find that my seat even if all the way back my knees are off the seat which gives me foot pain. My wife is 5' 2" and my father in law is 5' 6" and both are thin. If we add the car seat, it's hard for them to sit. The middle seat-belt is a joke. Very, very, very noisy interior. Especially if you're driving on 101 South LOL. Forget talking on cell phones inside this SUV or even having a decent conversation along with light music.

12345...12