Used 2001 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used CR-V for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Great vehicle, but ONE bad experience

Brian, 11/15/2010

Had 2 Hondas in my lifetime. A CR-V wasn't what I wanted, but I decided to try it, vs. a car. Overall a great time. Short/long trips, hauled people and animals, towed trailers, packed it full, traveled in heat and snow (Great!). Overall reliable vehicle. I've also enjoyed working on it (weekend mechanic) using Honda and Chilton manuals, saved some money. HOWEVER, I'm one of many victims of burned valves (Gen1 engines). Owners were NOT notified of this issue, there WAS a bulletin A03-038 issued to garages, it WAS Preventable, but Repairs for this known problem were at owner's expense ($2K+). HONDA'S reputation has suffered - I'm disappointed, not in CR-V, but in their management.

Great Vehicle!

amirjones78, 02/18/2012

I had a 2001 Honda Cr-V SE and it was the most dependable vehicle I have ever had. I got it in 2006 with 60,000 miles and drove it until 2011 with 185,000 miles. I never had any mechanical problems with the CR-V. Only wear and tear and routine maintenance. Actually, a large routine maintenance error I made is the reason I had to get rid of the vehicle. I somehow never thought to change the transmission fluid; ever. At 185,000 the transmission started to slip and I knew the transmission would cost more than the vehicle was worth so I got rid of it. 185,000 miles on the original fluid is pretty good! It would've lasted forever if I had ever changed the fluid.

Don't have 2001 Honda crv

Christina, 01/31/2016
LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

2001 got totaled.... hit & run. What luck. But i got me a 2002 Honda crv, still has the picnic table, yea!!! Not the jeep looking kind the 2002 is the next generation more like a van but has a better engine. Overall its a great vehicle. :)

Reliable ride, classic look, holds it value

Toby Peratrovich, 08/07/2016
SE AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

One of the safest older cars on the road. No recalls, no air bag issues. Very little maintenance. Road noise level fairly high. Not quite enough room for long legs. Terrific cargo space and flexibility.

What happened to Honda reliability?

B20ZFailed, 10/21/2009

Please do research on the valve/cylinder head failures that plague the 1997-2001 CRV. Mine burned a valve at 123k miles. This is a prevalent issue that will literally cost thousands of dollars to replace. If I would have known this I would have never bought this truck.

Seems to work well for me :D

nscribner13, 06/29/2011

So I only had my CR-V for close to 3 months and I love it. It has been in my family for quite a few years and passed between people and they all love it. I love it a lot. It runs very well. I only had some slight issues with it but it is basic wear and tear issues. It is very reliable. I don't mind the acceleration sometimes. It could be a bit better but I like that you can cancel out the 4th gear and gain more power to the engine with the overdrive switch. It is a very good highway ride, probably the best out of the all the cars I have driven in my life. I love that it is very spacey and how easy it is to use. It's a great first car :D

Excellent SUV

will199104, 01/14/2012

The Honda CR-V is an excellent compact SUV. I have found that the CR-V is a simply compact SUV that serves my basic needed. There are many things that I like about the CR-V. The CR-V has excellent maneuverability, makes it very fun and easy to drive. In my opinion it has outstanding build quality, after eleven years I am amazed at how well it has held up. I like the design of the CR-V, the outside design looks great and the inside is design is very well thought out. All the controls are well placed making it very functional.

Don't get the 1999-2001 version.

Pat, 06/02/2018
SE AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

They put a different engine in it those years, No where they tell you the valves needed adjusted every 30,000 miles. Mine blew at 60,000 and I had to replace the engine. I had Hondas for years. Just bought a new SUV and it is NOT a Honda. They knew there was a problem with that engine and would do nothing. People had the engine blow at 30,000 miles. If you're going to make a throw away engine you should make them free.

Best Car I Ever Had

Dennis Miller, 04/26/2017
LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 CR-V with only 63,000 miles that I'm about to trade in against a new car for my wife. This car has cost me nothing in repairs other than the usual things like the battery, belts or tires. It's economical, specially on the highway and just in general, the CR-V is the most perfect example of Keep It Simple I've ever seen.

I love my C-rv

linzee09, 08/10/2011

I love this car it's cute and small it's all I need. Gets great gas mileage. I brough mine with 143,000 and it has 154,000 on it no problems. These cars will run forever IF you maintence them. If your buying one make sure they have had a vavle adjustment or run away from it. The vavles need adjusted every 30k dont go buy the book!!!!! This car is very nosiy and bumpy but guess what it's a honda not a lexus. Its also very underpowered but it doesnt borther me to much im not racing it so it doesn't matter. It's a great car I love it.

Keeps going and going almost 200,000 miles

fred scott, 06/02/2009

I purchased it new back in March of 2001. It is the best reliable little truck I have ever owned. With regular oil changes this baby will go forever. Change the timing belt at 100,000 miles and that clunking noise in the front end is minor - just replace the sway bar end links and bushings, no more clunking. I will not part with the crv; great in the rain and snow with high ground clearance. Recommend Yokohama trz tires... Buy it used, you don't even need a warranty - great reliability.

Great auto

LK, 02/26/2016
LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine new then bought 2 more used for college students. All 3 are still going strong with no more than routine maintenance. My 16 y.o. son get handed down one of them and I've warned him if he wrecks it they'll be h*ll to pay. Best car purchases I've ever made.

Fun for 7 years

GFR, 07/16/2009

CR-V's are fun, comfortable, workhorses of a car-SUV-Offroad vehicle. Very, very low maintenance costs - less than $800 in repairs in 120,000 miles plus being towed 50,000 too. Great gas mileage - 28-30 mpg when on the highway and 25 in town. Good comfort, easy storage, easy to maintain, easy to cleanup and easy on the pocket book too. Only one complete set of tires plus two for front due to towing. And it is still worth $7,000 after paying $20,000 for it 7 years ago - can't beat that! We have used only synthetic oil and change it every 7500 miles - again real simple and inexpensive. Could be a good college car for a guy or gal. And Honda has a great rep too!

Nothing could be finer

Dimo, 11/30/2010

We bought our CR-V in 2003 at 35,000 miles now we have 197,654 hoping to go 1 million great travel auto can drive forever in comfort. I'm looking for a 2nd one with about 50,000 miles on it I have 2 brand new cars and i love to drive this unit. nothing could be finer than to drive to Carolina from Mass. in my CR-V

Going Back to American

Edburhop, 07/23/2004

Well, a died in the wool Chrysler buyer bought a CRV because we liked the interior room and layout, and the price was good. We wanted to try Honda because we drive our vehicles forever, and heard the quality was excellent. Well, it is underpowered, and at 50000 miles we have a check engine light AGAIN!!! The software that determines the working of the transmission has had to be reloaded TWICE. We had another check engine light, and they charged us 112 bucks to give us a new GAS CAP. We are trading in this lemon and going back to American Cars. I guess the quality thing is just for Accords

Good Car

sl, 07/11/2007

This car has been most reliable, and that's why I bought it. Plenty of room for loading up during trips to Home Depot - an amazing amount of space for a small car. It's a 4 cylinder, so it has enough power but lacks zip. But the car is what it is. It's functional, not hip. One weird quirk, and maybe it's just me, but the car seems to be prone to having windshield cracks due to pebbles and rocks projected from other vehicles on the highway. I'm 6'2" and I find this car to be a comfortable ride, plenty of head room. The odometer reads 122,000 miles and I just had my first breakdown, a blown head gasket. Otherwise, the only problems have been basic stuff, battery, tires.

Very reliable but a bit uncomfortable

shawn, 06/18/2008

Great car this one. With oil changes it goes and goes with only minor repairs. I will definitely buy a Honda again just not a CRV. Our kids are getting older and the back seat is the most uncomfortable rear seat I have ever sat in. The kids hate it! Very poor rear seat design. Other than that a good little car. Perfect for two people.

Great little car

world traveller, 01/17/2010

I've driven this car on four different regions of the world, in North America, in Africa, in Europe, and now in the Middle East. It's done very well in European snow, in African desert and washboard dirt roads. It's little 4 banger and AWD have done fine in loose sand. It's been rock solid reliable, with regular oil changes and air filter replacements. The radiator died in 2007, but no other problems. It's acceleration leaves a little to be desired, especially up a hill. However, it's been perfect for this world traveling family. The added ground clearance and AWD have been perfect for a family that never knows what kinds of roads we'll find at our next home.

Loving my cr-v

john, 06/26/2010

I've had my cr-v for over 5 years now. It's great to drive in this little cutie. It's peppy enough for me. Great on gas and always gets me to point a and b and then some. I purchased it with 45,000 miles. It s just over 140,000 now it runs like a champ. I recommend anyone to purchase a great vehicle like this. You won't be disappointed.

Love my CR-V

Jan, 08/02/2010

This is the best car I've every owned. My only complaint is that I like the style of the 2001 and that is not the style they are making now. I live in Alaska and drive in all sorts of weather. I will buy another one when this one wears out.

Endlessly Loving My 2001 CR-V

pjcook1, 09/19/2010

An excellent vehicle, excellent manufacturing, zero defects since day 1. Very good in snow/rain. Love the styling & feel. Good visibility. This is NOT a muscle car, poor acceleration to highway speed, difficulty getting out of its own way BUT hey, when you're doing 65 you're doing 65. Wind noise at speed. OK gas mileage 16-18 city; 20-21 hwy. Great ground clearance, jump curbs all the time to park or get out of minor physical jams (not always to the Mrs. liking).

Could be better

sean, 10/09/2005

A few things to like about it, but the balance tips towards the negative. I like the spacious interior, decent stereo, the ride (most terrain), reliability, and fuel economy. However, it seems designed for shorter people. There is plenty of head room, but the driving position and seat are not at all comfortable for my 5'11" frame. Driver's seat is brutal for anything more than a trip to the grocery store. Wheel tilt range is too limited. The armrest and door are useless for resting my arms: too narrow / hard. The ride over uneven road surfaces is nauseating since the front end bounces too much (replaced struts thinking they were bad). Torque steer, noisy engine, CD player needs more buffer.

Happy with my car

Julie, 05/11/2006

I'm very pleased with this car. I've had it for 5 years, do all the scheduled maintenance and haven't had any problems. It gets around great in the snow w/the AWD. This is the longest I've ever owned a car and plan on keeping it until it dies. There's plenty of room to haul stuff in the back w/the seats down. I did pay to add a passenger seat arm rest. I agree with some of the other reviews about the seats (not comfortable on road trips) and the steering wheel needs to tilt down a bit more. But overall I like it and would recommend it to anyone.

Good dash, questionable engine

Hondabuyer, 03/16/2007

You have to wonder what Honda was thinking with the engine-transmission combination in this SUV. This vehicle is so underpowered that it is almost dangerous on the freeway. You don't have enough extra power to avoid potential accidents (i.e. truckers changing lanes into you, ect.). 3rd and 4th gear are too close together requiring the vehicle to frequently shift down to 2nd gear simply to travel up and over overpasses or to maintain speed on hills. The result is rather poor fuel economy in freeway driving (25 MPG or less). Engine in my vehicle is plagued by misfires and a worn cylinder head. Some rust already visible below side windows. The dash doesn't rattle. That's worth something.

Honda engine issue

Gloria, 04/09/2008

56,000 miles check engine light came on. Found codes P0301,302, and p1399. Search revealed Honda sb 03-038. Probable cause 1 or more cylinders have receded into the cylinder head. Corrective action-inspect the valve clearance, if necessary replace cylinder head. Car brought to fox Honda in auburn, NY they were unwilling to remove the cylinder head. Wanted to replace ignition coil and do tune up for $500.00+. Advised me I could continue driving until car wouldn't start without harming engine. At home removed cylinder head and found 2 valves out of adjustment. This is a documented problem w/these engines. Honda response - the dealer I went to made a mistake for $100 more I could have tried another...

Honda is the Bomb

CQ , 05/01/2008

Owned this CR-V from the beginning. Has 165,000 miles on it and no issues or problems. Changed the brakes at 100,000 miles and changing the timing belt next week other then that just the normal oil changes. Hondas and Toyotas are the only make I will buy.

Good Deal

ATL, 05/27/2008

Fun and easy to drive. Sometimes lack power, but it is expected with a 4cyl. Have to change the AWB drive fluid every one-two years to fix the squeaking noise when making a sharp turn. Gas mileage ok.

CRV-best car on the road

Pat, 01/08/2017
LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Great mileage; lots of storage; no blind spots; turns on a dime. Love this car!!!!

A fabulous oldie!

Claudette Warlick, 10/16/2018
LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new and it's been a love ever since. It's never needed anything but routine maintenance (I've been diligent about that) and it's been a joy to own and drive. It's been garaged so it's surface looks like new and my kids were grown up before I bought it so the inside also looks new. I've replaced it with a new CRV because I'm so old I need some modern safety features and will pass my lovely red one on to a grandson graduating from college.

Owned 5 of these. Great car.

Jordan, 06/20/2019
EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We've owned 5 of these ('97, 99, 00, 01, 01). Bought a used one for each of my kids and my wife ranging in model years from '97 to '01. They've been great cars. Not perfect mind you (the driver's seat needs more padding and you feel it on long trips, they're under powered and the tranny hunts gears too much climbing a grade [depending on model year]) but reliability has been outstanding. Cloth seat material and flooring carpet are indestructible as is interior plastic. Suspension is great. AWD is great. Engine and tranny are bullet proof. On all of ours we've run Mobil 1 synthetic oil with premium filters and did extended oil change intervals (15K miles). Timing belts and water pump need changing at 80-90k miles. Never had an issue with valves or overheating. Had to replace radiators in two vehicles (after 15 years of use). These cars are surprisingly good off-road (sand, rough gravel roads, etc.). With good tires, they do not get stuck. Fuel economy is decent 26-27 mpg on highway). Find a good Honda mechanic and do your periodic maintenance and these cars last forever. Could not be happier

Boring to drive

Ken, 05/19/2010

I have been reading the other reviews made by other people on here and wonder if they are actually driving the same SUV I am. It transmission down shifts so hard that it nearly threw off the snowy mountain road I was on. I think real time 4 wheel drive is a joke. The ride is harsh, and very uncomfortable on long rides and is very noisy. The seats are hard and uncomfortable. It is very underpowered and really so when AC is on and can barely make up the mountains where I live. it would a much better SUV for a place that gets less than 4 inches of snow and flat. I will never own another Honda, My next purchase will be a Subaru

coolness

cdog, 02/26/2002

Very fun car to drive. Yes the knocks are that its not a true off-roader. and some don't even call it an SUV, but a wagon. i still think otherwise. some people say that the engine is weak. the car does feel heavy at times, but i think SOLID is a better description. i for one have had no problems with the 146 hp output. yes the car could be slightly quieter, but you can still tell the Honda refinement in the car over a longer period (1 year -4 years) than you can in any other car.

minor items

P, 08/21/2006

I like my CRV. Perfect for a small family car. I can drive 3 or 4 teenage girls around in it comfortably. It's pretty good in the weather on wet or snowy roads. The clock is so high on the dashboard that it is always in the sunlight and I can never see what time it is during the day. I wouldn't want to use it if I lived in the mountains though. The engine is 4 cyl. and it does well until I have to go up hills. Then it seems to strain the transmission and no gears seem to be a good fit. Poor visiblility on the driver's side blind spot but if you get the mirrors just right you can compensate for it. But it is reliabile and fits in with my commuting suburban life style.

this car sucks

dlemmon1, 01/02/2011

i bought my 01 cr-v with 130,000 miles on it, it now has 153,000 on it and the engine died, only had it 2 years bought new tires 3 months later engine dies clyinder 4 has no compression, blowback, could sieze up anytime i thought hondas were good cars but im sticking with a jeep

Still lovin my cr-v

joe, 07/24/2010

I love my 2001 cr-v. I bought new from dealership. It has been the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. Great awd in the snow. Gets me safely to everywhere I drive. It a great Honda cr-v. Get one you won't be disappointed.

How could the maker of Accura have made this thing?

desierto, 07/01/2011

Recently purchased in perfect condition, with only 39k miles, for it's reliability. Should have spent more time with it before making the decision. The more I drive it, the more I dislike it. The ride is awful. Its harsh. It pitches, bobs, darts...its tiring to drive. Had the struts checked, they're fine. The seats are poorly bolstered. Controls are wanky. Can't get into the tailgate without a key. Less room than you might think. Noisy. Apparently designed to look "correct"... and that's all. Switching from Subaru Outback to this thing is a disaster. I want to replace it with a Volvo or Mazda 6 wagon. Just as much room, and a way better drive. Don't care about a couple of MPG at this point!

drive toyotas ; why not give honda a try

John Hotopp, 04/03/2002

this car drags on the gear too long to get this thing moving. Also when you turn on the fan for cool vent air the a/c turns itself on; when defrosting too. Passenger front seat doesn't have a power lock to match the driver side.

Going the distance

dave, 11/22/2008

Bought this car new to use for work. Had heard great things about Honda reliability and despite it's small size, my 6'3, 250 lb. mass fit pretty well. Wise choice. By any objective, practical measure, this has been an outstanding car. I flog it relentlessly and in 163,000 miles it has never let me down. In fact, except for scheduled maintenance items, nothing has ever gone wrong with it. Delivers 21 city and 27 on the road at 75mph, also will plow thru even deep snow effortlessly with it's seamless on demand AWD system. Always has looked a bit weird, but the inherent goodness grows on you. No plans on replacing it as I see no reason why it won't go another 100,000 miles... still runs like new.

Honda CRV

keneddiem, 05/11/2002

the car is well designed and comfortable to drive. gas mileage could be better though

I am a Hondaholic!

alvarado4pack, 01/10/2009

I bought my CRV new in 2001 and loved it since. I have had no problems with it, I just get the oil changed every 3k miles and do the minor maint like tires, brakes and have fluids checked. I put almost 70k miles on it. It is very reliable. I feel safe in it too. It is a bit heavier than the new models, not as "flimsy". It has alot of space in the back. We travel a lot across country and we can fit all our luggage in the back. We will always have Hondas. I will drive it until it dies!

Great AWD multipurpose wagon

grhoward, 06/06/2002

Got a great deal on my 2001 Honda CRV- EX last summer (it's still worth more than I paid). Almost had it a year and simply love this vehicle for trips around town or to my favorite outdoor get aways. I've added several upgrades i.e. better stereo components, retractable cargo cover, cargo mat, bike racks, etc. Even looked into adding a supercharger or VTEC kit to add some extra horsepower but refrained because the CRV has enough horses to suit my purposes. Now that the 2002 CRV has been introduced, a 1998-2001 model makes for a great used car bargain.

Great purchase

Deborah, 07/20/2009

I bought this car for my oldest daughter with 60,000 miles and it now has 146,300 and is still going strong. I have always done all the recommended maintenance on it. The AWD feature is good in the snow or rain. It has lasted longer than I ever expected and has been a great investment. I would recommend it to anyone.

Perfect for Grandpa and Grandma!

hausfrau, 07/23/2009

After being in a car accident with our 1992 Honda Accord with an 18 wheeler and lived, we were sure that the Honda was a good make of vehicle. Brother- in-law and sister sold us their 2001 Honda CR-V. We love it! My husband is 6'5" and has plenty of leg room. This is a spacious automobile. We have our own little entertainment center in the front seat with us, AM/FM/Cassette Tape and CD player. We have the little "bar" and the table in the back. What else could a little old retired couple ask for? It rides smooth. We don't know what it will be like in a Minnesota winter, but the brother-in-law had it for 8 Wisconsin winters, so that can't be too much worse. No more accident fears! Yay!

Great car

Jim, 03/31/2010

Great car. It's as reliable as gravity. Only problem in 157,000 miles, had to get a new radiator. Only way to go with a small family. Bought it new in 2001, and will turn it over to my son when he is 16. That will be in 2014.

Loving my 01 cr-v

john, 07/21/2010

Here's my story. I bought this 01 crv in jan 2007. With 78,000 miles on it. I've traveled a lot in it. It now has 174,000 miles and its still running great. It is very comfortable for long trips and very great on gas. I'm so glad I bought this cr-v.

It's so roomy cr-v

patty, 08/12/2010

Hi I bought my 01 cr-v in October 2009 with 98,000 miles. I've had it for 2 years now and put 50,000 miles on it. It now has 148,000 and runs very good. It's been different for me to drive than a car but I love the room and comfort it gives me. I go camping and fold down the seats blow up my areo bed and sleep like a baby. This is one fantastic vehicle.

Rolling along in my 01 cr-v

aileen, 08/28/2010

i love this little cutie, i bought this in 2007 with 75,000 miles for 10k, it now has 11,900 miles on the odometer. its been very reliable for me. i went to Florida and back to pa where i live and ran smooth. i plan on keeping this cutie till it dies.

Juuuuust Right

RayG, 07/11/2002

Purchased a leftover with an internet special at a good price. That was in Oct '01, since then, not a lick of trouble. Just about the perfect size for us. Easy to park on our local city streets AND fits into our rented garage. Good mileage- just about 24- 26mpg of mixed city/mostly highway. It's great to be able to carry golf clubs AND passengers which was a bit tough in the old Neon.

Reliable 4 wd commuter with fun to boot!

Brian_B, 09/03/2002

I bought my 2001 LX in May, 2001 and it's ran great as of this writing (August 2002). My purchase criteria were: 4 ddors, 4wd, PS, PB, AC, CD player, Good MPG (>25 hwy), good looks, Comfort, Safety, and Strong V6. I got all of these but two: Comfort and a strong V6. I decided to go ahead and buy after driving the 4 cyl. It's not as strong as a V6, but it moves the vehicle just fine and gets good MPG. The seats aren't too comfortable though. And lack of front passenger armrest is a mystery? It's needed!

Solid car/very functional!

ZMan, 09/17/2002

This car has been great to drive. The only problem I've has is drivers side power mirror stopped working in 20 below weather in Upper Michigan last winter. It magically started working again.. I recommend this car to everyone.. I usually get 22.5mpg highway @ 70-75mph

51050