Used 2001 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews

Used CR-V for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...10

Pros
Cons

Great vehicle, but ONE bad experience

Brian, 11/15/2010

Had 2 Hondas in my lifetime. A CR-V wasn't what I wanted, but I decided to try it, vs. a car. Overall a great time. Short/long trips, hauled people and animals, towed trailers, packed it full, traveled in heat and snow (Great!). Overall reliable vehicle. I've also enjoyed working on it (weekend mechanic) using Honda and Chilton manuals, saved some money. HOWEVER, I'm one of many victims of burned valves (Gen1 engines). Owners were NOT notified of this issue, there WAS a bulletin A03-038 issued to garages, it WAS Preventable, but Repairs for this known problem were at owner's expense ($2K+). HONDA'S reputation has suffered - I'm disappointed, not in CR-V, but in their management.

Great Vehicle!

amirjones78, 02/18/2012

I had a 2001 Honda Cr-V SE and it was the most dependable vehicle I have ever had. I got it in 2006 with 60,000 miles and drove it until 2011 with 185,000 miles. I never had any mechanical problems with the CR-V. Only wear and tear and routine maintenance. Actually, a large routine maintenance error I made is the reason I had to get rid of the vehicle. I somehow never thought to change the transmission fluid; ever. At 185,000 the transmission started to slip and I knew the transmission would cost more than the vehicle was worth so I got rid of it. 185,000 miles on the original fluid is pretty good! It would've lasted forever if I had ever changed the fluid.

Don't have 2001 Honda crv

Christina, 01/31/2016
LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

2001 got totaled.... hit & run. What luck. But i got me a 2002 Honda crv, still has the picnic table, yea!!! Not the jeep looking kind the 2002 is the next generation more like a van but has a better engine. Overall its a great vehicle. :)

Reliable ride, classic look, holds it value

Toby Peratrovich, 08/07/2016
SE AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

One of the safest older cars on the road. No recalls, no air bag issues. Very little maintenance. Road noise level fairly high. Not quite enough room for long legs. Terrific cargo space and flexibility.

What happened to Honda reliability?

B20ZFailed, 10/21/2009

Please do research on the valve/cylinder head failures that plague the 1997-2001 CRV. Mine burned a valve at 123k miles. This is a prevalent issue that will literally cost thousands of dollars to replace. If I would have known this I would have never bought this truck.

Seems to work well for me :D

nscribner13, 06/29/2011

So I only had my CR-V for close to 3 months and I love it. It has been in my family for quite a few years and passed between people and they all love it. I love it a lot. It runs very well. I only had some slight issues with it but it is basic wear and tear issues. It is very reliable. I don't mind the acceleration sometimes. It could be a bit better but I like that you can cancel out the 4th gear and gain more power to the engine with the overdrive switch. It is a very good highway ride, probably the best out of the all the cars I have driven in my life. I love that it is very spacey and how easy it is to use. It's a great first car :D

Excellent SUV

will199104, 01/14/2012

The Honda CR-V is an excellent compact SUV. I have found that the CR-V is a simply compact SUV that serves my basic needed. There are many things that I like about the CR-V. The CR-V has excellent maneuverability, makes it very fun and easy to drive. In my opinion it has outstanding build quality, after eleven years I am amazed at how well it has held up. I like the design of the CR-V, the outside design looks great and the inside is design is very well thought out. All the controls are well placed making it very functional.

Don't get the 1999-2001 version.

Pat, 06/02/2018
SE AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

They put a different engine in it those years, No where they tell you the valves needed adjusted every 30,000 miles. Mine blew at 60,000 and I had to replace the engine. I had Hondas for years. Just bought a new SUV and it is NOT a Honda. They knew there was a problem with that engine and would do nothing. People had the engine blow at 30,000 miles. If you're going to make a throw away engine you should make them free.

Best Car I Ever Had

Dennis Miller, 04/26/2017
LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 CR-V with only 63,000 miles that I'm about to trade in against a new car for my wife. This car has cost me nothing in repairs other than the usual things like the battery, belts or tires. It's economical, specially on the highway and just in general, the CR-V is the most perfect example of Keep It Simple I've ever seen.

I love my C-rv

linzee09, 08/10/2011

I love this car it's cute and small it's all I need. Gets great gas mileage. I brough mine with 143,000 and it has 154,000 on it no problems. These cars will run forever IF you maintence them. If your buying one make sure they have had a vavle adjustment or run away from it. The vavles need adjusted every 30k dont go buy the book!!!!! This car is very nosiy and bumpy but guess what it's a honda not a lexus. Its also very underpowered but it doesnt borther me to much im not racing it so it doesn't matter. It's a great car I love it.

12345...10