Used 1997 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic - (49 reviews )

One of The most reliable car out there
By Frank

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned a couple of CRVs same year 1997. The first one I got rid of because I was more interested in speed now that I am older I have owned another 1997 CRV for the last 5 years. Bought it used at a great price with 165k miles and now has 278k miles. I drive more than the average person and love this car. Has never leave me stranded and with minor maintenance which I gladly do myself I think it will last forever. The person I bought it from told me he did timing belt at 125k miles so I am not worrying about it as I had a Civic with 170k witho original one. I drive in NYC all day long in this car and even with all the traffic and heat and snow we get this car never complaints. I wished yes that it had a bit more power because when I drive through PA and upstate NY through all the hills you do feel it much weaker. But it makes it up with everthing else including great resale value, reliability, great gas mileage, low maintenance and great looks!

Rebuild or No?
By Steve F.

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Honda CRV has been a great, inexpensive and reliable car for, lo, these 181,000 plus miles. What it lacks in comfort, it makes up for in many other ways. Most recently, I've had $1,500 in repairs and for a 21 year old car, I'm wondering whether I should keep maintaining it as a second car or get rid of it. Is there a list somewhere of what typically needs work the longer you keep a Honda CRV? I'd love to compare that list to my car log.

Great Car...Going to miss it...
By Mike Hyland

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Looking forward to buying a new 2017 Honda, now that my current Honda is 20 years old.

Best vehicle I have ever owned!
By Derek T

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

This truck started out as my wife's. She was going to trade it in for a new Camry and they were going to give her $5,000.00. I told her that I would give her $5.500 for it. That was back in 2007, it had 98,000 miles on it. I traded it in for a 2008 CRV on 12/12/15, it had 330,006 miles on it and I bet it gets 100,000 more. Other than oil changes every 6,000 miles, it cost me 2 timing belts, 2 water pumps, one battery, a set of plugs and wires, powered window unit (drivers side), a set of rotors(let pads go to long), and a couple sets of brake pads. A couple years back It got a steering rack. The leak was so slow that it probably would have last me till I got rid of it. A couple months back it left me stranded on when the ignition module went out. That is the only time it left me stranded or would not turn over. All it needed when I got rid of it was a catalytic converter and a power window motor for passenger side. The interior was still great. In fact there was just one little spot wore through the carpet on drivers side. Cloth drivers seat was still perfect!. Not bad for 330.006 miles.

I bought my CRV in February 1997
By Happy CRV Owner

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my CRV with 13 miles on the odometer. Today my vehicle has approximately 264,000 miles. Maintenance costs have been minimal. I completely forgot to change the timing belt until the car had 175k miles on it. The mechanic later showed me the timing belt and said it was in incredibly good shape for having weathered that many miles. The only major repair I have had to speak of is replacing the radiator.

I live in a cold weather climate and never have to worry about ice and snow. The AWD kicks in when needed and I just plow on and get to my destination.

The car is 18 years old and I can honestly say it drives the same way today as when I first bought it in '97.