2013 Honda Accord Consumer Review: Honda is back on track!

2013 Honda Accord - Consumer Review

Honda is back on track!
By hardtoplease2 on

2013 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I loved my 2000 Accord SE, but it was time to pass it down, and get myself something new. This Coupe is amazing. I have driven many manual trannies, but this one is the best. The engine has plenty of power, tugging smoothly at the low end and breathtakingly at the high end - and it makes wonderful sounds! There's always a correct gear to select. Positioning of all controls is great. With only 200 miles on it, I got 30 mpg on a 460 mile trip, with a combination of city and mostly high speed highway, cruising at 80 mph (the speed limit in that part of Texas, thank you) and making no attempt to be frugal. City-only is averaging 24, again without trying. Sound system is awesome.
Addendum: After three years, it is better than ever. The only problem so far has been a bad battery, replaced for free because the green indicator quit appearing (not because I could otherwise tell that the battery was sub-par.) The transmission is even silkier that is was, and the clutch is smoother as it breaks in. I still get a reliable 30 mpg on the road, 27 mixed, and 23-24 in city driving only. I once had to brake on a road with glare ice (the idiot in front of me panicked at a yellow light) ... touching the brakes lightly brought an immediate mild yaw, followed by a mild shudder, and then the car straighten itself out. Once off the ice, I was able to stop before rear-ending the idiot (who had PLENTY of time to get through the yellow light, but didn't.) I realized that the brakes had actuated independently to prevent a spin! The suspension is a little stiff for a few of our less well-maintained city roads, but is usually fine, and is perfect for the 85 mph stretch of State Highway 130 between San Antonio and Austin. It runs effortlessly at those speeds. The engine redlines at 62 mph in 2nd gear, and yet rounds city corners smoothly in 3rd gear, so there's always an appropriate gear for any occasion. My only complaints are that my only color choices were black and gray, and it would be nice one of the video screens would mirror my cell phone's screen.

• Outward visibility

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review