Used 1998 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 212 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

lots of miles ... cheap transportation
By Jim

1998 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

Have 330K miles, bought in 2003 with 52k. I usually replace my car more frequently than this but the car is still really nice especially on trips. I practice hyper-mileage tricks and get significantly better gas economy ... record is 720 miles on a tank (but striving for that high is taxing). Simple tricks like turning car off at long traffic lights, etc will attain 36 ... speed is the enemy to good gas mileage. Problems are front half shafts, sway bar links, hydraulic clutch master cylinder, paint clear coat. I take the car cross country and back once a year and it is a fine long trip car.

Worst Accord Ever according to my mechanic
By Kimyung

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

I had this car some years ago, the V6 model was a bad one for them. I think they made the engine too big for the transmission or something like that. Beyond that, there were a bunch of electronic problems. I think the 98-02 model was just bad for the V6 automatics, I can't speak for the 4 cylinders.

This car is literally bullet proof
By mikey281

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

My mother bought this car new and I've had it for the past 3 years and 50k miles (190k total now). It has handled everything I could throw at it. Last summer we took it through 4000 miles of mexico and all the bumps and pot holes that that entailed. I even drove it through a river that washed out my road. It has only had standard maintenance done to it (fluids, timing belt tires) and a few other parts to replace some damage i caused when I went off the road (ball joint, new wheel)

Someone even shot a gun into the hood and the support brace stopped the bullet so no damage was done to the engine! How's that for bullet proof!

It starts every time. Even after 16 years there are no holes in the leather. I have driven it across the country and across the continent in the past year and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again tomorrow

Not sure how much power it came from the factory with but at this point its pretty slow. Fuel economy could be better but it does improve about 15% by using ethanol free gas

Still going strong
By jensters

1998 Honda Accord LX V6 2dr Coupe

I purchased car in '04 W/75,000 miles on it. I believe only 1 previous owner, they took great care of it. Knowing honda maintenance req. I immediately had timing belt changed, 6yrs or 100k miles (I think). I loved the car then and still love it now! My Avg. mpg is 24-26 (mostly hwy miles). I keep up on reg. maintenance.

Heard stories of transmission
probs but I haven't had any.@ 141k replaced rt fr axle,@ 155,000 miles replaced radiator. Other than those great engine.

Paint is starting to wear and had to replace pass. Window motor around 2010 but as far as reliability I have no complaint, 16 yrs & going strong can't argue with that! Love my honda

This was my first v6, love the power, even still! Very roomy. My large 110 lb dog fits easily in the back seat. Trunk is very roomy too...you can flip the back seat down for even more storage if needed, quite handy.

Interior noise could be less that's all I can think of.

Fun to drive Honda Accord
By sherrilee

1998 Honda Accord LX 2dr Coupe

This car is economical and fun to drive.