Used 2010 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews - 192 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 GMC Terrain Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Terrain model:

Nightmare
By Karen Lee

2010 GMC Terrain SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My 2010 GMC terrain has needed a number of repairs. The auto mechanic said he was disappointed with this vehicle due to the repairs that were needed. I have 60,000 miles and just last month the transmission busted, which cost $3,700. I have read that these SUV's have had many problems with the transmissions. So disappointed.

Worst car I've ever owned
By Kimberx3

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is the worst car I've ever owned! So many problems! Transmission replaced at 101,000 miles. Constantly burning through oil, blew a hole in the transfer case, chugging and during at stop lights, have replaced a rotor 6 times in the past 3 years. Getting rid of this vehicle the first chance I get!!

worst car ever
By Jocelyne

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Worst car I ever have bought this 2010 terrain in 2014 since I bought this car it being nothing but problem I greatly regretted put my money in this gmc terrain

Nothing but problems
By Ursula Sexton

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Do not purchase any GMC product. The quality of their autos is poor. Customer service is even worse. I have been lied too and put off by company concerning complaints and issues. Not a reputable company at all.

Run from this car!!
By anart04

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We've owned a 2010 GMC Terrain SLE 6 cylinder since December 2009. We purchased this after our first child and quickly realized how tiny the backseat was with a carseat installed. Along came baby number 2 and bye-bye went the third passenger in the back. Even just three average adults are squished into that tiny space. I couldn't sit between the 2 carseats and I'm 5'4, 130lbs. Within the first year, the tailgate needed to be repainted because the back licence plate housing rubbed the paint off. 18 months later, the same thing happened. At the 4 year mark, the inside bottom of all the doors were rusted to the metal. The center console USB plug stopped working after a year. Out of the blue, I got a service stabilitrac warning one day around 60,000 miles accompanied by loud grinding from my brakes. I needed a new wheelbearing, all new brake pads, and rotors, and my emergency brake caliber somehow fell off. At 63000 miles, at startup one evening, the engine sputtered and the notification center said low power mode, service stabilitrack, and the abs, stabilitrak, and check engine light stayed on. After turning the car off and on a few times, the lights turned off, but I still had an intermittent check engine light turn on. The code for that was for a camshaft actuator and the engine had somehow burned or leaked 2 quarts of oil in a very short amount of time. Wasted $300 on a camshaft actuator and the check engine light stayed off long enough for the ride home. Called the dealership next day, they stated that the timing chains usually need to be replaced in these and that may be what is wrong (mind you, "may be" to the tune of another $1,000!) They also informed me that they had never changed the timing chains on a 6 cylinder at that dealership. I questioned if it would affect the engines function and was assured that the timing chains made noise when they went bad and I would know when it was time. Fast forward another 8 months and 3,000 miles and my service stabilitrak light, ABS, and check engine lights are on again and the engine has again consumed 3 quarts of oil in a short amount of time(yes, I regularly check the oil). At 70000 miles, the motor failed on the windshield washer pump, so I am unable to wash my front/rear windshield until I repair it. There is currently a recall for an intermittent problem with the seatbelt notification chime dinging despite everyone wearing their seatbelts. This has only happened twice and resolves itself if you restart the engine. This car was garage kept and averaged less than 10,000 miles a year, and I followed the maintenance schedule. I am the original owner. When I contacted GMC, their reply was that the vehicle is out of warranty and then they had the dealership contact me. After some research, I found my issues are similar to other GMC Terrain owners and if your Terrain isn't having any of these issues now, great, but I strongly suggest getting rid of it before this happens. If your looking to purchase a Terrain, please choose something else!!
**Update**2018
This beast is still running! In the past year, the moonroof malfunctioned and needed to be completely replaced or permanently closed. It was a difference of a $1000 or $200 repair. You can probably guess what I chose. I now have a sweet sky light in my car that has the tiniest annoying air leak in it, but it's closed at least. I still randomly burn through oil, but again I regularly check it, so I guess it's not an issue. The check engine light permanently stays on. The bottom of the doors are rusting faster than I can drive it. I'm just waiting for the engine to blow up.