Used 2016 Ford Mustang Convertible Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Mustang for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Austin Bluesman

Bill Henricks, 10/11/2016
EcoBoost Premium 2dr Convertible (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love my Mustang Ecoboost Convertible! Power and acceleration is probably good for most people. But I wanted a bit more power for hills I drive. I was able to make some easy modifications to improve power. Next step is upgraded turbo. Looks great, good visibility for a sports car and I find the convertible very enjoyable. Car driver's car.

2016 V6 CONVERTIBLE MUSTANG 305 HP!!

TVG, 06/15/2018
V6 2dr Convertible (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This review is for an ex-Hertz rental 2016 3.7 V-6 Mustang AUTOMATIC convertible purchased with 48,6XX miles. Car had a few dings and one fairly serious scratch, so we got a great deal. Excellent car overall so far, and running great as of 51,000 miles. Practical folks will be glad to hear the steering, braking, visibility, and reliability are all excellent. There is a sweet camera for backing up. Insurance costs on this car are very reasonable. Supposedly, the iron-sleeved aluminum V6 engine makes for better balance and more nimble handling compared to the much heavier cast iron V8 in the GT. I haven't driven the V8 enough to know. Interior electronics and controls are all visible, logical, efficient to use, and attractive to look at. Cloth seats are sculpted nicely with nice bolsters for lateral support. The cloth seats in the base convertible do not burn your butt on a hot day even though they are black. Climate controls are simple and functional. The convertible top is a vast improvement over previous models, especially for ladies. To unlock the top, there's a big, easy-to-grab D-handle right above the rear view mirror that you pull down and twist one 1/4 turn. Then you press a button until the top is back. That's it! For the fun-loving folks, acceleration from 0-60 is 5.3 seconds (this car is quicker than a '99 SVT Cobra Coupe). The speedometer says "GROUNDSPEED", as if there is some other sort of speed we might be measuring. A little hokey, perhaps. I love, love, love the glowing LED taillights. Period. Whoever came up with those....you rock. 2015-2016 taillight styling is already a huge improvement over the 2010-2014 models, and the sequential turn signals are just a bases loaded home run. ///CONS/// 1) GARAGE DOOR OPENER: NONE! Could use an integrated garage door (Homelink) button on the rearview mirror that shuts off when car is off. Our Jaguar XK8 convertible had Homelink buttons in the mirror, which they simply disabled when the ignition was off, to protect your garage contents. That's a great way to design it, imho. 2) KEY FOB: The key fob is kinda big. (Yes, I get that there’s an Emergency key inside of it.) 3) COLOR SCHEME: Not crazy about the black interior in most of the base models. Base model convertibles tend to have the black interior and a black top. Would have liked some sort of lighter camel or gray color on both, but we bought our car used. 4) CABIN FILTER: There is no good reason to make a cabin filter so hard to change. This stupid design has one strange screw holding it together. To make it worse, it is at an angle that makes it hard to see what tool you need. Thank God for the iPhone camera to let me see into tight places, and the internet to confirm what I see. Turns out, it is a T20 TORX head screw. WHY would they do this? To create billable hours for unskilled dealer technicians? I have a Torx toolset, but I still find this design completely ridiculous and unnecessary. This could have been assembled with a single plastic snap strap like my Hyundai. Ford added complexity here for no added value. That kind of engineering is OFFENSIVE to me and they are just ripping off their consumer. HINT: If you are agile and flexible, it is possible to change the cabin filter very quickly as follows: 1) Top down. 2) Move passenger seat all the way back 3) Tilt the backrest all the way back 4) Sit on passenger seat 5) Rotate 180 deg until your feet are toward the back seat and head is in footwell; you can now observe the underside of the dash 6) Observe the single Torx head screw 7) Remove the screw and pull out old filter 8) Insert new filter and reassemble ///SUMMARY/// OVERALL: There is a tremendous value here for the money. The Mustang has been improved over previous years I shopped for in nearly every possible way. Nearly every amenity you could think of, good looks from every angle (top up or top down), and great performance. For top down cruising, it is loads of fun. The rave reviews are not an exaggeration.

Poor exterior workmanship

mark haslett, 04/04/2016
GT Premium 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased a performance package GT convertible in January. The exterior body panels were not bonded correctly by the roller at the factory causing noticeable creases at the edges of the trunk, passenger door and hood. The car has been reviewed by the dealer and 2 body shops and all agree this is a factory defect. Problem is that FORD CORPORATE says it is NOT their problem. Dealer is working with me to correct the poor workmanship but I am concerned that after the trunk, door and hood panels are all reworked and repainted that the value of the car will be depreciated. FORD should just take this car back and give me the straight car I paid $44k for.

Dream car Disappoints---UPDATE

Terry, 12/04/2015
V6 2dr Convertible (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

OK just a quick update from my previous review: So the dealer found the cause of the rear end noise, it was Lungnuts rolling around where the spare tire would be if there was one. The car has locking lungs on it so, someone put the spare lungnuts in trunk. Boy was I releaved! It has been a week since I purchased the Mustang and I have to say "It is my Dream Car"! It drives great & handles amazingly well. It was warm enough to put the top down...what a great day cruzing.

2016 GT/CS Premium Covertible "Carolina Special"

Michael Humphrey, 04/02/2016
GT Premium 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned my 2016 GT Premium California Special convertible (Oxford White) for 6 months now and every day I just look forward to driving it...especially with the top down! It has the 6 speed automatic with 3.55 LS Rear Axle, Nav, Adaptive Cruise Control, Reverse Sensing Safety system....well everything except the "Performance Package" which you can't get with the automatic transmission. Acceleration is awesome! Simply put, it looks GREAT, drives GREAT and sounds GREAT. No problems or regrets so far...This is the first vehicle built by an "American" manufacturer that I have purchased since 1985! Toyota and Honda (and a number of Mazda Mx-5s) have been and still are in my driveway, however I love this Mustang! Funny story...I rented a 2016 Ford Expedition for a week and was soo impressed with the quality and performance of the big Ford, I had to go drive the new Pony Car! Word of advice: Don't test drive one if you don't want to own one! This is a 1 year UPDATE to the original review of my Mustang GT/CS Premium Convertible.  Simply put, I love it as much as the day I bought it!  It is my recreational "sunny day" driver so most of the 6500 miles are top down at the beach or open country roads or Blue Ridge Parkway.  People still want to get a closer look at it or ask about it when I stop for gas or at a stop light!  It is everything I expected it to be...Looks GREAT, sounds awesome, handles like a sports car and takes off like a jet!  Top quality and no issues or concerns after a year and a half.  GREAT CAR!!