Used 2006 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews - 175 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Freestyle

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Been very good
By Eric

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We've had one problem, the throttle body, which has been somewhat common. Had to wait on the part because of the collapse of the auto industry. This has been the only issue we have had with the car. The problem only existed when we idled for long periods and when it was hot outside. It is very reliable and comfortable on trips. I have four kids and we all fit with comfort. It is about as safe as a car can get, and all-in-all a great purchase. Too bad no one else figured out how good these cars are. May not be beauties, but they are great for families that need space.

Mileage, safety and rides like a car.

Throttle body issue, the door and dash materials are too plastic looking. Not the most glamorous styling.

Versitle hauler
By Bob Gervais

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Bought this car new. Traded an 2005 Caravan which was a huge disappointment. The Freestyle is the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned. It converts from a comfortable people hauler to cargo hauler in seconds. Very comfortable road car. Decent gas mileage. After 70K+ miles, only on second set of tires and they have pleanty of tread left. No problems whatever with this car. Comfort, ride and power is more than adequate. Climate control system controls are small and hard to see and adjust while underway. Living in Maine, the AWD is a necessity and works great. There is no stopping this vehicle in snow. CVT has worked perfectly with no issues. This is a great car.

AWD, ride comfort, sound system, CVT, endless versatility

Improve climate control buttons. Rear heater is noisy.

Best vehicle for money!
By alex2009b

2006 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Love this beauty, I have limited with all options available. Just can't get enough of it, drives so nice and smooth! Bought it for my wife-have two kids, very roomy and comfortable. Love how it behaves on a highway! Very steady! We have friends coming over all the time, and we leave their car by our house-and leave all together in this 7 passenger! Love it! I just sold another car and my wife asking if I want to get the same one for myself! :) never knew Ford was this good until tried it out myself! All 5 stars! Way to go Ford!

SUSPENSION, CD MP3 Changer, ROOM, acceleration, heated seats, parking sensors. and A LOT MORE!

none

2006 Ford Freestyle SE in NC
By Jermnc77

2006 Ford Freestyle SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased the Freestyle new in 2006. I love the Freestyle! I love the styling cues of an SUV mixed with a stationwagon. I would have loved to seen a "wood" panel addition. This car is an excellent traveler! We drove it from NC to OK and enjoyed every mile. I can't believe I'm actually thinking of keeping this car and paying it off! That has NEVER happened to me! My average mpg is 23 miles per gallon. I have never achieved the advertised "500 miles per tank". Still it gets better gas mileage than any other SUV's or vans this size! I got the CVT trans model. I wish I had gotten a regular trans instead. The CVT has a towing capacity of 2k, while the reg trans had a 3k

Ride height, seat heighth, handling, easy to drive, versatility!, 3 row seating. I just feel safe driving this thing! Rear AC.

Wiper switch seems in reverse to other cars, digital temp controls seem to have mind of own, seats that recline further, rear heat only comes out of one side on models with rear temp controls. Make foglights standard on all models. The black face cluster is hard to see sometimes. Make white stdrd.

Very disappoint with Ford Customer Care
By Hami

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My husband and I purchased this vehicle two years ago (1 1/2 yrs old at the time) as a trade-in for a Ford Mustang. We were quite please with it until this year. We replaced all tires at 38,000 miles (Oct.), an alternator at 39,000 miles (Nov.) and I just broke down on the highway three days before Christmas, only to find that the transmission needs to be replaced! The car has 40,000 miles on it and of course it's past the 3yr./36,000 miles warranty by 5 months and 4,000 miles!!! Even the dealerships said it shouldn't go that soon, yet Ford seemed unwilling to help us. I registered a formal complaint and will be following up. No more Fords. My Corolla is 10 yrs old and no problems!

The space inside, storage room in the back and we like the feature of the pull-down third seat, especially with our third child on the way.

Obviously they need some work on their mechanical systems if we have to replace an alternator and transmission on a vehicle that is only 3 1/2 years old! Ford needs to be willing, with all that tax bailout money and low sales, to help out consumers with problems like this to keep them-they lost us.