Skip to main content

Used Focus for Sale
Select your model:
12345...11

Pros
Cons
3 out of 5 stars

TRASHY TRANSMISSION! Shift Away from the Focus!

Regina W, 10/04/2018
SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought my 2017 Focus SEL in June of 2017. It's a pretty little car with a sporty feel and solid gas mileage, though it was an adjustment for me coming out of a Fusion. I was pretty happy with my car for a year, then everything went to hell in a handbasket! I took my car in for slipping transmission in June of 2018, they replaced the clutch. I drove it on a 1000+ mile road trip in June, then again in late July. By September, it was back at the dealership for transmission problems and rough idle. They replaced the clutch AGAIN and had the nerve to tell me that the transmission only has problems in hot climates! Guess they think all women are totally ignorant about cars. They also...get this...replaced the bushings on the motor mounts, which they said were the problem with the rough idle. So far, the rough idle has not reappeared, so the motor mounts may have been the problem. BUT...at just under 36,000 miles??? WHERE are these parts coming from, the salvage yard? I'm really disgusted with this car, primarily because Ford KNOWINGLY continues to put this trashy transmission in the Focus. They obviously don't care AT ALL about their loyal customers. Have they forgotten that there ARE other car manufacturers? So, this is the nail in the coffin of my relationship with Ford...I have had my car back for less than 2 weeks and already it's back to its' same transmission antics. Please, think twice...think 10 times...before buying a Focus with an automatic/manual mess of a transmission.

3 out of 5 stars

Beware of transmission issues.

Amy, 11/05/2018
SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

This car has essentially a manual transmission that shifts via computer. The Focus has been plagued by transmission problems, and the dealer probably will not inform of you of this fact prior to purchase. I found out about my transmission when I noticed rough shifting and took it in for service.

Nice but.....!!!

Andy, 08/26/2018
SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Purchased a 2017 Ford Focus with 3k mikes on the odometer. A month later the transmission began to shudder violently. It was addressed under warranty. 6 months later the transmission still shudders at certain speeds while up shifting. Heard that transmission can get locked up. Traded the vehicle.

clutch issues 2017 ford focus

LHW, 09/04/2018
Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought the top of the line Ford Focus. Had a 2015 Ford Focus and had clutch issues. Decided to upgrade because of the clutch issues ( class action lawsuit is present on 2013-2016) I was assured the 2017 had a different clutch system. I was lied to. I now will be bringing the car back to the dealer again for the same issue. Ford never fixed the issue and still selling faulty clutches in their new cars. I will now never buy a Ford. I thought I was buying an American Car, do your research! It will cost thousands of dollars to get it fixed if not under warranty.

New and true

Rick, 01/20/2018
updated 01/31/2022
SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Great little car for the money. I currently have 24000 miles on my ruby red SEL hatchback and I am very happy so far . Driving to my daughters in Virginia from New Jersey I have gotten between 43 and 47 miles per gallon . The drive is mostly highway speeds at 45 - 60 MPH, and I watch traffic lights and traffic up ahead and let off the gas a good distance before coming to the stopped traffic. I'm sure i'm saving my brake pads too. The computer is usually one and a half to 2 miles per gallon too much I use the odometer. I previously had a suburban and this car was a big change. I was surprised how good the ride and comfort were on the highway , I don't drive the car fast, I am very conservative with it . I have also driven stick shifts for years and the shifting of this transmission does not bother me at all. I give it time to shift and have no problems. For me it's a great little car ! One thing I would add is that when I come to a stop, I watch the rpm's, and wait for it to be in neutral before taking off. In traffic I don't creep forward. I wait and give the car in front of me a little distance before I move up thereby not slipping clutches. I believe this helps. I have read about a lot of people who have had many problems , perhaps I just got a good trans or perhaps problems are in my future. I hope not. ( over thirty thousand and still no problems. Still a good little car if you don't beat it up!) I have now experienced a little shuddering of the transmission.. I then took the car out on the highway and ran it from a full stop ( from the shoulder of the road of course) to 70=75 mph. I did this four times, and the shuddering stopped. This I believe cleans the glaze that can form on the clutches. It is now 27 months old with 37000 miles and the car still performs well. I am satisfied with it. It is a small car well built for the money, but it is not to be driven like a high powered sports car. I still get over 41 MPG on long trips. Again I want to stress I am easy with the vehicle. I read an article of a delivery man who attained well over 350000 miles before he needed to have his transmission rebuilt. I will be satisfied if I can top 150000 mark. We shall see! *** 7/30/2020 Now have almost 41,000 miles and still no problems at all. Gas mileage is still over 41 on long trips, but like I said before I am easy with the car. My focus is still amazingly quiet for such a small car. I haven't driven much this past year because of the virus, so I haven't made too many long trips. I give this car 5 stars. I guess I have a good one!***I now have over 51,000 miles and this little focus is just as good as the day I purchased it. No repairs, only oil changes a little sooner then the manual recommends. Recently on a trip down Routes 13 and 113 Del. Md. Va. speed limits 45-55 with cruise control, and I got (45 MPG) by the odometer reading. The computer can be 1-2 mpg off. Keeping my fingers crossed,and hoping to get 150,000 miles. Didn't do much driving this past year due to staying home and not visiting family as much. Now have 55,000 miles and still running well.

12345...11