Used 2003 Ford Focus Wagon Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus Wagon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Reliable Vehicle For its Class
By John

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2003 Focus Wagon used with just over 60,000 miles in June 2011 when the car was about 8 years old. In the 7 years I have owned the car I have added 120,000 miles for a total of just over 180,000 miles on the original equipment. Given my propensity for clocking what many would call excessive miles per year, it is only understandable I have had a higher maintenance cost. For example, in October 2015, I changed the timing belt at just under 120K. In less than 2-1/2 years I added another 60K, or a little over 26K per year. For me, that's easy. Where I live, everything is a long-distance commute. I don't know what the previous owner did to the vehicle; I bought it as-is and immediately had necessary but normal maintenance items performed. Other than regular oil changes, fuel filters, air filter, struts and an alternator -- all normal wear and tear items - I have experienced no unexpected hard part failures. The original engine and transmission have served well over the last 7 years, though at 180K the engine has sprung a leak. Having previously lived in a climate with extremes of cold and hot temps, I am not surprised that the motor mounts have begun to crack, increasing engine vibration. To be honest, there are some things about this car I do not like, chiefly poor fuel economy (compared to yesteryear's Japanese imports), poor sound insulation from road noise, the front-end turn signal lights are too much in the center, and an instrumentation cluster that does not provide any useful and preventative information concerning the vehicles day-by-day condition. Also, it's acceleration is not as quick as I would like, but for a vehicle in its class, I think it does well enough. But this is an economy car, not an F-18 fighter jet, and while I may yet wish for many gauges and a Heads-Up-Display with Infrared to see through snow, I am aware of the reality that you get what you pay for; with that in mind, I like my Focus. In fact, I like the wagon so much so, I am willing to repair my oil leak not by fixing the leak itself ($2k) and leaving the old engine and transmission in place, but by pro-actively installing a brand new OEM engine, remanufactured transmission, cross-members, struts, hub assemblies, alternator, water pump, power steering pump, radiator, new wires, and a few other items for $12K -- rather than scrap the car and buy someone else's problem. Some people, I am certain, will think I am certifiably insane. Did I mention I like my wagon?

My Focus is my best friend.
By Marie

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my car for 15 months. Purchased it with 275.900 miles on it. I knew I was only going to be using it around town but I actually have used it for longer distances. So far I replaced motor mount , put new front brakes and 2 new front tires. She runs and drives like a champ.

Clear sailing
By matthewew

2003 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car.
The only issue is that it is rough on tires.
I normally get about 40K out of a 60K tire.
I average 26-27mpg in the winter and 29-32mpg the rest of the year.
I have 149900 miles on my car.
I have not experienced many of the issues that others have, but then I bought mine new and know what it has gone through.
If you do the maintenance when the owner's manual says to do it then you will have very few problems.
Word to drivers the rotors are not the best, but the pads are really good so if you have worn out your brake pads, that is on you.
I went 89K before having to change rotors and it was a mountain pass that did in the rear brake pads.

awsome! then you have the paint...
By devyn_hogan

2003 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

this car has been great to me, i bought it used with 30.000 miles. the guy put a K&N and loud exhaust... sounded great, until i got caught with it (illegal in my state). the only problem with it was the alternator. except it was not, it was a fuse in between the alternator and the motor.

Then the paint peeled, spotted, bubbled, and cracked on the bumper. the paint peel happened on the hatchback. right above the light. the BLACK car now had WHITE spots on the back. and the rear bumper is full of very small cracks. None of this is because of lack of care, i and very ocd on apperance.

LOVE the stero, one of the best ive had in a long time good performance in the summer, does burnouts when i want it to and goes through a corner stuck like glue. starts in any weather. -40 a little while ago, started like a dream then jumped wifes car with it

get rid of altenator fuse!!!!! its stupid and useless

TERRIBLE
By poohbealov

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

bought this at 81,000 miles was good until about 85,000. New motor mount, then a new engine, then a huge exhaust leak, then the engine was misfiring, then had to take it back to ford to get the lifters replaced, now i am waiting on it in the shop because they had to replace the instrument cluster. a total of about 5,000 in repairs in just a year. It's rediculous! i spend more time without a car then i do with one. I just barely hit 97k miles!

Nothing really, the seats i feel are comfertable some people complain about them the trunk is nicely sized too.

try learning to build a car ford. one that doesn't break down every month.