Used 2016 Ford Fiesta ST Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Ford Fiesta ST Consumer Reviews

ST 1.6L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual - (11 reviews )

Another great hot hatch from the experts at Ford
By ksvtguy170

2016 Ford Fiesta ST ST 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

As a fan of hot hatchbacks and former owner of an SVT Focus, I'd had my eye on the Fiesta ST since it was first introduced. When I heard 2017 was the last year of the current iteration and Ford dealers started to offer incentives on STs, I knew it was time to pounce on this cult car, which has received about the most unanimously positive automotive press I can recall. And amazingly, the ST is as good as they say--a pure driver's car disguised as a "cute" econobox. Ford absolutely nailed the steering, braking, transmission, power, throttle response, and handling with this car. I have driven a few Porsches, and the way the Fiesta ST feels to drive is, amazingly, at a comparable level of precision and balance. If Porsche built an FWD car, this is what it would be like. The SVT Focus was a gem in almost all ways (power was fairly meh, though), but the Fiesta ST is almost shockingly better, except for ride quality (the one impossible-to-deny fault of the ST). Even city driving is enjoyable because of the telepathic, precise controls, small size and nimbleness, and friendly clutch. But twisty roads or freeway on-ramps are the places you'll really appreciate how good this car is. It's hilarious fun to drive. Drawbacks: The aforementioned ride, which does smooth out on the highway, but can be brutal on broken pavement. And yes, it's small inside. If you routinely carry four adults and their luggage, get something else. Reliability has been perfect after 5,000+ miles. Great car.

Fiesta st
By Bobby Peckham

2016 Ford Fiesta ST ST 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love the car very fun to drive

Front Wheel Drive blows.
By Gavin

2016 Ford Fiesta ST ST 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Considering this is a FWD car it handles great and is a driver's FWD car. Unfortunately though, it's still FWD. The car torque steers all over the road if there is any kind of rut or standing water. The 17 inch rims are too big for the car and it gives the car poor ride quality, handling and makes road noise unbearable. The acceleration is pleasantly surprising. There is very little turbo lag which is nice for me personally because I have driven N/A V8 mustangs and pickups my whole life. The handling will surprise you and the car responds well to throttle burping/modulation while in the center of the corner as long as you don't enter too fast. Sometimes the back end will try to step out if you dive too hard after a Scandinavian flick, in my experience I have found this a somewhat typical trait of FWD cars. The rear wheels have no purpose and are therefore just along for the ride. One feature that often goes overlooked is the hill assist. For an experienced manual transmission driver this is the bees knees. I drove this car somewhere between 10,000 and 20,000 miles (sorry I'm not doing that math lol) for Lyft in San Francisco and never once smelt burning clutch. Generally I never even rolled back and it blew American customer's minds (they must've owned a prius). European tourists never gave it a second thought that I was driving a manual and some who had ridden with other drivers around the bay were relieved to see an American driving stick. The manual transmission is the selling point in this car, it is crisp and over built for the equipped 1.6L engine as it is the same 6spd found in the Focus ST which has over 50 more horsepower. The main reason I chose this car over other "Hot Hatch" vehicles is that there is no automatic transmission option so I knew going to the dealership I wouldn't have to search for a car with a stick. Storage space is an issue; however, I never had to turn an airport customer away for luggage although I did have some suitcase induced blind spots from time to time. Visibility in this car is great and I love how there is no backup camera. One of the best things about this car is that you can tell it was designed by a driver, not by a guy in a suit. The little corner mirrors within the side mirrors can easily be adjusted to eliminate blindspots. The sync 3 system is too much for me so I have nothing but great things to say about it. I didn't want or need sync 3, but I got it and I use it. The exterior design is very appealing and the kona blue color is stunning. Overall the car is impressive for what it is. If you drive it right you can hit a high 14 second quarter mile then drive home at 40mpg. I will say this though, you have to drive very conservatively to achieve 40mpg. I've done it with 3 tanks, the highest of those 3 being approximately 42mpg(92 octane ethanol free, 40.2mpg was my best on crumby California 91 octane). If you aren't that patient it's pretty easy to get over 35mpg despite the window sticker claiming only 33mpg highway and that is why manual transmissions are the best. I took the car to autocross one time and that was enough for me because I'm used to autocrossing my Foxbody mustang, the FWD is just lame and uninspiring. There is no way around it, FWD sucks. I'd also like to notate that I always turn off the traction and stability control for two reasons; 1: better driving feel, 2: better fuel economy(less friction, better economy). Driving position is great for visibility but my right knee gets banged up during hard cornering.

Finally a fun American small car
By Steven Parry

2016 Ford Fiesta ST ST 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

America hasn't had fun small cars like this since the German Opel's. Great car, small, fast, nimble, cheap to own and to operate. Nothing fancy mechanically that will break the bank later, very nice amenities inside. Not for a family of four all the time unless you're all small, but as I now have a new driver, I find that as a "2 seater with four doors and a lot of storage", this car is perfect. 3 people easily also, but the storage isn't awesome. She is a little car after all.

Sport fun, sore right elbow
By JOHN GEORGE

2016 Ford Fiesta ST ST 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love the car in every respect. One change should be made, that is the middle console does not give elbow enough shifting room without hitting.