Skip to main content

my Golden loves it too!

jllevere, 09/18/2014
updated 09/19/2016
Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased my 2013 Explorer Sport after 10 years of driving BMW X-5's and based on this one I will be with Ford for a while. Ecoboost is a fantastic motor. I have 18,500 miles and vehicle has been in the shop for 2 services and that's it. Not one problem even with the highly disparaged SYNC. Maybe I just got lucky but my just plain works great! Did I mention how good the Ecoboost motor is! Over 20MPG on the highway and 15-17 in stop and go city driving. Really a lot of pickup for getting on freeways or passing.

Love it EXCEPT for 2 HUGE Issues that r a Headache

Peter Crosetti, 02/26/2018
Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

There are 2 HUGE issues w the 2011 - 2013 Explorers that FORD will not accept responsibility for: (1) The front hood rusts along the entire seam that started at under 36 months (30K miles) & FORD will not assume responsibility for under the new car 60 month rust through warranty. (2) The sunroof / moonroof drain(s) need to be cleaned by the dealer (Cost $150 per event) or else there is a massive leak into the passenger side floor whenever there is a rainstorm. The dealer has been unable to define a recommended time interval so I've had it done every 2nd oil change or 6000 miles. When I forgot we had a goldfish pond in the front and rear passenger compartment.

On a different plane...

keboss302, 12/31/2012
Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Having considered an Explorer Limited since the 2011 redesign, my wife and I are glad to have waited a couple of years for the Explorer Sport. Trading off a 2007 V8 Explorer XLT, the Sport's Ecoboost V6 and Taurus SHO driving dynamics made us completely forget the V8. This is a fully modern, refined and fun-to-drive vehicle that exists on a completely different plane from the body-on-frame Explorers of yore. It's tight, solid, carefully constructed and (to our eyes) very handsome. The dual-panel glass roof, ambient lighting and Star Trek dash layout create an interesting and special interior environment, especially at night. It feels upscale for a Ford. And at nearly $49K, it should!

4.75 out of 5 stars

I love this car

deizik, 01/25/2013
Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I have a 2012 BMW and I find myself driving the Explorer more and more. Its quick, big enough for the kids and all of our stuff, great sound system, etc.

2013 explorer sport shortcomings

Evan Edwards, 08/26/2015
updated 08/28/2017
Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Have a 2013 ford explorer sport black on black. Fantastic looking vehicle and have been pleased overall until the warranty ran out. Currently at 38000 which is 2000 over. Basically one month. Ac compressor locked up and caused belt to break which left vehicle without power steering and had to be towed. Ford said " too bad out of warranty, you owe $1100. ". Vehicle is 2.5 years old. This does not seem to be a normal item to malfunction so early on and am very disappointed that Ford is taking position of no responsibility. The sync system is as bad as others say. Never worked as advertised which had been a major incentive to buy the vehicle. Also the rear parking aid stopped working and I considered that to be a minor concern but perhaps it's more indicative of future things to come. I was happy that ford had turned things around in 2009 and felt good about the purchase but not anymore. Can't imagine what I would do had the transmission failed instead of just the ac. I managed to turn the vehicle in early and moved on to a Mazda CX-9. Since then I've shared my story with 3 others who had been considering an Explorer. They all opted to go elsewhere. I doubt that I'll ever try Ford out again.