Used 2011 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

DO NOT TOW THIS CAR!
By CoveredWagon

2011 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle after researching it's towability for flat towing behind my RV. Although the owner's manual gives specific directions for Recreational Towing, BEWARE! I burned up a transmission last year while towing it, and after getting the transmission rebuilt it burned up again after towing it less than 200 miles!

A Lemon at the start but it has grown on me...
By J Redmond

2011 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have the V6 model. The car has it's issues but it is very comfortable to drive, fuel efficient and handles well in the elements. There are many aspects of the car I love, like the quality of the leather seats, the Dashboard material quality, the Cargo space (have not found a vehicle that could match it) and the size of the vehicle. On the other hand, Ford is terrible with customer service. A couple of years back my car had just gone 50 miles over it's extended warranty and the driver side seat heater caught fire. We were able to put it out quickly but the damage was already done. We went to the dealer and they wouldn't fix it for anything short of $1600 and it was not covered under warranty. They would not take the seat apart to see what the problem was unless I agreed to get it fixed. They have also, on multiple occasions tried to up sell me on unnecessary things and, luckily, I new better since I'm an engineer and know a fair share about engines. Also, I wish Ford would put plastic wheel wells, specifically on the rear of the vehicle. It's a 2011, never driven on salted roads (only Mag) and both rear wells are starting to rust out and bubble. Resale value is TERRIBLE, even for one that runs Great in very good condition. Once I'm done with this car I'm done with Ford. This year and model of the vehicle, despite it's issues ( it was a lemon so I've seen others do better), it has been a great SUV. I'm going to miss the V6 when they get rid of them in the future.

Stay away
By MVC

2011 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned my 2011 Ford Escape Limited for 5 years now. I have had consistent issues the following: back up camera, I bring it in and the dealers say they fixed it but after a week, it stops working again. I call and they tell me to unhook the battery and then hook it up again and it should take care of it. It doesn't. The sync never worked, they always say the update it and it will be find but it stops working days after I bring it home. The door locks stick! I bring it to the dealer or call them and they say blow it out, there is dust inside the door! We have done that but the doors won't open again the next day. I am down to just the front doors. I can't open the back doors or the rear hatch anymore. The front doors stick but at least you can pull the handles to get out of the car. I am so very disappointed in this car especially for how much I paid for it. I am a senior and I can't afford to fix this stuff now that it is out of warranty. That's why I am only using two doors. It is the first Ford I have ever purchased, and it will be my last Ford. Stay away, I feel I have been taken advantage of by all of the dealers that have worked on my car, making me fell like they were just doing the quickest fix until the warranty ran out and then would sock me with a huge bill to make the repairs properly. Shame on Ford

Wathc out for Passes
By Jmill

2011 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I love my Escape. I have never been so attached to a vehicle. That said, I have to get rid of it. I am currently replacing my engine for the second time. I get a misfire in a cylinder, and sure enough it trashed the engine. In talking with the tech, he believes it is due to my commute. I travel 120 miles each day to work, going over 3 passes. He figures the 4 cylinder engine, which is the same as in the Ford Fusion, just couldn't handle it. Even with all that, I still love this SUV. I always joked when I had to take the battery cable off to reset the SYNC system that since it was Microsoft I needed to reboot

1 Thing in Common with 2012 & earlier Ford Escape
By Sue

2011 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I want a pre-owned mid sized SUV and the Ford Escape came highly recommended. I don't like the look of the newer midsize SUVs or crossovers or hatchbacks. I prefer the more boxy look. I've done test drives & love the Escapes. Don't want a car. Mid size, older SUV is perfect for me. Have gone to dealerships and looked and have stopped to look at Escapes in parking lots or parked on streets. Out of about 18 Escapes 2012 and earlier I looked at or test drove, all but 2 had 1 major problem in common----premature RUST! I was soooooo disappointed. I had my heart set on the 2012 or older Escape. There should not be so much rust consistently on a vehicle only 6 years old. My 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (19 yrs old) is just now showing rust and that was my fault. I don't want to get a used vehicle starting out with a problem that will quickly get worse. Now I have to start my search again with other particular makes already eliminated. When I think about it, we've had a Ford F-150 and a F-250 and both rusted prematurely and once it started, very quickly. Without the rust problem I'd buy the right Escape in a heartbeat.