Used 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews - 175 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

piece of junk!!!
By John Doe

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

not worth it. definitely not good in the winter. nope.

Teases You With Comfort Then Bammm!!!
By a mom

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased brand new and brought our newborn son home from the hospital in it, along with our just turned 4 yr old and 18 month old boys. Loved the van - comfortable, lots of room for a double stroller and changing diapers while traveling! Seats were comfortable for Mom and Dad and with side curtain air bags all around felt we had the safest van we could afford for our little boys! At 6 years and 74,000 miles van suddenly started flying through oil over the course of a couple of weeks - but with no visible leaks or smoke! Our middle son had been diagnosed with cancer the previous year and we relied heavily on that van (our only vehicle) to get him to the clinic and hospital, as well as grocery shopping etc. (hubby is a truck driver and commutes in company truck) We needed a break in our son's treatment to get the van in the shop but in the meantime my husband checked the oil before each trip out with the van. I waited as my husband checked the oil and added a quart before I took the children with me to a store ten minutes from home. On the way back as I turned left into our neighborhood, the engine stalled leaving us in the middle of an intersection of a busy road (heading down a mountain none the less...) with my young children in the van! Thank God a police car stopped and pushed us out of harm's way. When my husband arrived and checked, there was no oil on the dipstick! We were told the van would need a new engine and neither the local dealer or Chrysler were any help what so ever. Our focus was on our sick child and our desparate need for a working vehicle so we applied for a loan and purchased a used older Toyota Sienna which, while not as comfortable and roomy, has served us incredibly well over the years. Upon searching the internet, we found out this is not an uncommon problem with this Chrysler 3.8L engine and is known as "disappearing oil" because there is NO visible drip and NO visible smoke. Chrysler should truly be ashamed of themselves for allowing anyone but particularly children, to be put at such risk! We are done with American auto manufacturers!!!

nice car
By brandon dorneman

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan CV 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

its a realy nice van its not junk

I will never buy another Dodge again
By Nick Teti

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

My 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan has too many problems to list in this review, due to character limitations of this page. I an summarize the braking system is one of the worst in vehicles I have ever had. It is mechanically undependable, and has had excessive maintenance issues since 20K miles. I would never recommend this vehicle due to these, as well several other issues. Think of purchasing a more safe and more dependable vehicle. Nick Tetti, Highlands Ranch CO.

I will never buy another Dodge vehicle after this.
By Nick Teti

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Ext Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Review: Absolute Junk & The Lousiest Car I have ever owned

Date: 5-2-2016

I have a Grand Caravan, 2005 with a 3.3 V6 engine and it has been the lousiest, must junk-worthy vehicle I have ever owned since 1986. I would equate the craftsmanship to absolute crap, and it has been a problem-laden car, with mileage currently at 118,983. As a result of several repairs, and loss of time, as well gobs of money I have arrived to a point of complete contempt and disgust for this vehicle. I have also contacted Chrysler whom has not owned up to any of the mechanical defects of the vehicle, only to be ignored. If you want to make friends with a mechanic, get one.

Here is a list of everything I have replaced on this:

Serpentine Belt

Alternator

Starter

Front Tie Rods, all

CV Axles in the front (both)

Water Pump

Valves

Valve Guides

Radiator

Struts, all 4

Rear Bearings on both wheels (this occurred after the brakes overheated on highway 285 in the mountains, and luckily we did not get killed as a result when one seized up, and the other failed). This was a result of a defective ABS computer causing the rear brakes not to disengage. This resulted in the rotors fracturing, and the car becoming too dangerous to drive. As well both sets of brake pads in the rear were fried.

ABS Sensors (3)

1 seat belt clasp, drivers side

Most of the emissions components, excluding the catalytic converter, (think about this issue if you plan to live in most of the lower 48 with a registered vehicle).

5 fuel injectors

ABS computer system (anti lock brakes computer).

Entirely new brakes on an average of 20k to 30k miles several time as the rotor & caliper design is insufficient for the vehicle weight. This includes brake rotors.

Brake Calipers ( both front ) 2 times and 1 each in the rear

Air conditioning compressor

EGR

Gas Cap

Air conditioning components

1 piston & surrounding components in the engine

Windshield wiper arms (both). These locked up together at night while it was raining on the freeway with poor visibility. I was almost killed as a result, as I could not see and went down the side of a steep embankment.

An absolute Grade F for this Car, and I will never buy another Dodge

I am at the point of deciding if the engine will last after the premature repairs, and based on the complete lack of confidence I have with this vehicle. If I have to replace this car prematurely, I will never by another Dodge or Chrysler, ever. I wouldn't allow you to park one in front of my house either. I would not be caught dead in this sCrappily constructed junker either. Aside from the problems listed above the car has developed rust spots indicating a shabby paint job done, as the car has not been scraped/scratched or physically damaged in these areas collecting rust.

Not Even Worth the Gas to Me

Being self employed if I had to deduct the cost of the vehicle, repairs, and all other expenses, I would be facing surpassing the Score and sitting at a stinky desk justifying equipment vs. profit on an ongoing basis. Consider buying a more reputable mechanical vehicle if you wish to avoid this. Not to mention, the cost of having to avoid business growth, and personnel quality of life, as a result of the financial burdens this car has put on myself, and my family has made this vehicle into a hostage taking situation. All the parts I have had to buy, and paying all the mechanics to keep me from being unemployable, and unable to earn income has also brought me to absolute disgust with this Dodge Not-So Grand Caravan as well.

My Summary

The biggest aggravation for me is when this vehicle put my life and my family's life in danger, aside from the ongoing plague of mechanical problems that have basically rebuilt much of the car. This is "incredible," based on the amount of miles I have on this car.