Used 2006 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Horrific experience
By Penny

2006 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My 2006 Dodge Durango stalled out while driving after the oil light and then the engine light came on three minutes later I'm stranded in traffic unable to start my vehicle again as it turns out my oil pressure sending unit was faulty causing my PCM to shut down and disable my engine from restarting which cause me to be involved in a rear end collision suffering from multiple head injuries. After reporting this to FCA they said that because the service shop had repaired my vehicle prior to my complaint there is nothing they can do to prove that they were liable for this insidant even though they have a poor design by engineering a vehicle to shut down and disable it from restarting in the event that your PCM thinks you have no oil in your engine so you don't ruin your engine it shuts it down. I could have been killed. I've been off work for a year due to my injuries and now I have a vehicle that I'm never gonna be able to drive again for fear that it will shut down again but Chrysler won't help me or address the issue. If my vehicle would not have shut down in traffic by design I would not have been injured in this accident. As I love my Durango , bought it brand new in 2006 for $45k and took very good maintenance care with it hoping it would last me much longer then it did , I am now out a vehicle and have to purchase another all because some engineer designed something to keep you from ruining your cars engine now I have to spend the rest of my life with post traumatic concussion syndrome. Thank you Chrysler all because there haven't been 1000 other people complain about the same thing and I had to have my vehicle repaired in order to get it into the body shop , they can't help me.

CLEAN MACHINE
By James Connolly

great car 11y/o 95K mi, cherry inside and out

142,000 Reliable Miles
By Mike Cee

2006 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased our 2006 Durango just over 10 years ago when it was new. It's been completely reliable and has never let us down. It makes it through deep snow to our rural home on those winter nights. Interior, while not fancy, is very usable and well laid out. The fuel mileage is what you'd expect on a full size 4X4 SUV with a V8. We've taken it on a number of trips and it's very comfortable.

5 Years, 75,000 trouble free miles
By Mike Cee

2006 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Our 2006 Durango has been a reliable workhorse. Other than routine maintenance and one recall it's never had a single issue. It never has a problem even in the worst snowstorms, it handles well on the highway, is extremely comfortable for long drives, and it can do it all while carrying a lot of gear. Fuel economy isn't great, but it's a full frame, full size, big SUV so I don't expect it to have great fuel mileage. The 4.7 has plenty of power and the interior is simple and easy to keep clean. Resale value isn't great, but as a used car buyer that's an advantage, and one of the reasons we purchased it in 2011.

11 Month Reveiw
By Jim

2006 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my Durango Limited with the 5.7L motor (why isn't that an option for Model Selection?) Anyway, after putting 13k miles on it in the past 11 months I am overall happy. I'm 6', 300lbs and I'm quite comfortable in it. I've had as many as six adult passengers in the SUV and no one has complained about leg room or comfort. My only complaints so far are; (1) could be less hard plastic in the interior - the front seat belt covers were missing when I bought the SUV and the pouch on the back of the driver's seat was gone. (2) The left rear quarter panel seem to have rust issues just behind the fuel door. I see this on many Gen2 Durangos. (3) Both the 4.7L and 5.7L motors are very susceptible to exhaust manifold leakage mainly due to manifold bolts breaking. (4) If I’m not careful, I get overflow/spit-back when fueling up. There was a recall for this but I keep forgetting to check if my Durango still qualifies being that it’s 10 years old now.