Used 2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Consumer Reviews

$6,590

Used Dakota for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Good Truck

Maddog, 07/25/2008

Bought this truck used and it now has 115,000 miles on the 3.9 V-6. The truck does not use any oil and runs well. The 5 speed manual has nice gear spacing and is easy to use. I average 18-19 around town and 20-22 on the highway. The quad cab is useful and it does what I need it to do. Good truck Dodge!

Reliability!

Operator398, 08/02/2010

I purchased this truck new, and have done the maintenance. (4.7 V8, automatic) It's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. 148,000 miles and counting. Cost per mile for maintenance and repairs is only $0.025. 19.6 MPG since the day I bought it(I have a soft tonneau on it). It still looks good and has no squeaks or rattles. I'm very happy with this truck.

Best vehicle I've owned

Roger vlietstra, 04/26/2010

I bought this truck new in 2002 and have loved it all the while. Only had to replace an o2 sensor. My previous truck was an Isuzu and the Dakota is a million times better. I haul welders, tools and a trailer, so it gets used. I expect to get another 8 years out of it. I get about 13 mpg with tools in and about 17 mpg empty. I put an extra leaf spring in it to help haul the weight which was a great idea.

Overall a Great Truck

markbg, 03/31/2010

Bought new in '02. Love the looks of this model year and still get compliments on it. Great versatility for hauling cargo and misc. stuff in the bed and comfortable enough to fit four adults or family in the cab. It's been a reliable vehicle, but one thing I'd do over is opt for the larger engine. Same or better mileage with the V8 and better performance. Still a wonderful truck!

big time

snakebite, 03/21/2002

this is the best truck you can buy!!!! i have 33 in super swampers on mine and it will climb thing up side down (figuritavily speeking)!! Im so happy i got my dodge; now im no affraid to drive in the rain, sleet, smow, wind, or hail. i have no worries! I have used my truck for every thing from pulling out a couple F-350's and some Chevy's here and there. but i also go offroading (mostly mud bogging and rockclimbing)and hunting with it. it has never been suck and it had been to the doors in mud (3 feet about)all i need now is some air lockers for the rock climbing!! and there comeing!

Awsome

Bogey69, 10/14/2010

Best truck I have owned yet. Went looking for a new one this summer and was not happy. They have nothing like this out there. Ford and Chevy gave up making Rangers and S-10's. Toyota has a smaller interior. This truck has been excellent in upper Michigan. In snow and off road it handles like a champ. Never had any major issues yet and has been a joy to drive. I plan on keeping it for another 80K. Why spend money on the new junk! The 4.7l V8 really goes and has tons of power that can tow a 24 ft trailer with no problem.

i give it 8 gold medals

kylenewc, 07/18/2009

Not only is this the best mid size truck ever, no other comany has anything like it. powerful,fun,sound,comfort,room,and 4X4 is all amazing. to all the complainers about fuel millage, take a full size truck for a spin and tell me if its any better. the truck has given me some minor problems that about any truck would have.

Could have been

Nate, 10/15/2009

I've had the 4.7L for 8 years and as a whole it has been decent. I like the ride comfort, roominess of the cab, power and the 4wd in the snow. However, the front end has been painful to maintain. Seems that it always has issues whether it be ball joints, cv joints, flex hoses, calipers seizing up, various bushings needing replacement, etc. The calipers have actually seized 3 times. Crazy. Without the front-end problems this would have been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Since this is not the case, the '83 Subaru GL 4wd I had in college still reigns supreme.

Great truck

fast, 04/05/2002

Great truck i love to drive it ,it drives like a car.I was going to buy a SUV, like a Jeep Liberty or explorer,but this is like a SUV but with a bed for stuff!Its been a gas hog so far 2000 miles avg 14mpg with a v6 5speed thats almost all highway!I got to bring it to dealer to see if somthins wrong i suspect a vacume leak ,i hear a whistling at 2000rpm think its somthing small.love everyting else 4x4s great.

one tough truck

mailman, 04/30/2002

I bought this truck for the 4 door mid- size, having kids when I need to haul. Love the way it rides, but it will jump up if you go fast over a bump, it may lose control. I have the maroon paint which looks nice, but all scratches show, so I would change colors next time. Had a linex liner sprayed in back, excellent. No problems yet, knock on wood.

Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 4.7L/5spd

diirk, 05/08/2002

We ordered the 4.7L motor with the 5spd manual tranny. A really fun combo. We also added the LSD and towing pkg and pw/pdl/overhaed console and bed liner. A nice way to go because there's nothing you really need to add to the truck. We were able to pull our friends 22'TT without any problems and it's and older heavy model.

PLEASE DON'T BUY!! Dodge Corp. NO help!!

WillieP, 02/25/2003

Nothing but problems since the first week!! Stuck with this P.O.S. Several problems with the transmission that supposedly was "matched nicely" to the 4.7L engine. Problems are "deemed normal" by the dealership. I'll drive it till something breaks to recreate the problem for them. Interior fan motor is done. Nothing like the smell of a burning fan motor in the morning. Nice acrid smell of burning plastic/wires. Popping noise at front wheel bearings in turns. Tried to get Dodge Corp. to swap it out and I'd pay the difference. NO DEAL! I'll just take the couple thousand loss on a trade soon. It'll be worth it!

All that I expected

truck fan, 04/05/2002

The truck is all that I expected. Great performance out of the 4.7L V8 engine. Solid feel and build. More comfortable than many sedans that I have ridden in. More than enough interior room. Mixed driving mileage around 17 mpg, therefore increased gas cost. But all in all, I love this truck and couldn't ask for more, considering it's a mid-size truck with a big engine. I had a tacoma double cab just prior to the dakota and the only thing I miss is that Toyota quality feel. Other than that, I'm happy that I ended up with the Dakota.

150K and still loving it. Dodge Rules!

dodgeman, 01/05/2009

This is my first truck, and my first Dodge product. I own a Nissan car, and this has proven to be just as reliable. I purchased this with 70K on the odometer and just clicked 150,000. I love this truck. It has proven to be the most reliable vehicle ever. I've had my share of small issues like seals on the A/C compressor ($90), resistor fan switch ($50) ignition ($200) hose leaks (due to my lack of maintenance) but it has never failed to start and drive since I've owned it. These trucks do not get the respect they deserve. I have beaten this thing down (waiting 8- 9K before oil changes, never serviced tranny, differential, filters, fluids, nothing. Just brakes, oil, tires and the key.

02' Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab - 2wd

Deccapi, 08/31/2003

This has been a good truck so far. The only complaint is gas consumption.

2002 Dakota SLT Plus

vettemanpc, 01/02/2004

Great truck for day to day use, however it is lacking in the following areas. Fair interior, lacks style/plain. no white face guages,red tail lights,amber turn lights, Could use some restyling to reflect a more ram like appearance. Dodge should also offer more choices regading performance & handling options on the 4 door truck. Ram Air option would be also a good idea. Disappointed with fuel milage and performance with 5.9 approx 17mpg on highway dispite several modifications. For a 5.9L I expected a lot more power in this size truck.

Ok but not great

RLMSr, 06/30/2004

Have 51600 miles, mostly highway. Had it to do over, I might not buy it again. Gas mileage for 4.7 V8 terrible in mixed driving - 14.6 mpg avg last 3 tanks - most of my daily trips are 75% highway. Steering failed (shafts separated) at 48575 mi - lucky for us I was at 25 mph on and empty street not 45 mins before on the interstate. Dodge did fix for free despite being out of warranty, but I had to borrow a car for two days. Very comfortable inerior. Floor tray doesn't allow for middle passenger's feet. Rear seats very comfortable, as roomy as our Impala. Bed length is same w/gate down as my Ranger was w/gate down, but it could be longer. Turning rad

Solid Truck

Dakota, 11/21/2007

Overall a very reliable truck. Never had any problems w/ the drivetrain or any major mechanical issues. That said, the brakes are awful and the ball joints are junk - getting them replaced by Dodge, even with a recall, was a real hassle. Fuel economy averaged a disappointing 15mpg, and the 3.9 V6 just does not have enough power to get the heavier quad-cab moving or passing with enough authority. At highway speeds, the ride is smooth for a truck, but very noisy. Had to upgrade sound system just to hear the music. After 50k, it still runs great, but I should've opted for the V8 instead. This has been one of the most reliable vehicles I have owned, but more power is a must for a truck.

Get a Toyota Tundra

gcsupraman, 09/04/2003

I think this has to be the biggest mistake I have ever made in my life. I was going to get the Tundra but was blinded by the rebate. I paid $26000 for the truck after the rebate and I see its only worth $16,000 (private party value) I have never had a vehicle depreciate so fast. For the money i've lost - not including the $376 monthly payments for the last year (total cost of ownership) $1376 per month I could have paid a limo driver to drive me around. The truck has been in the shop 6 times in the year for clunking, check engine light and stalling. I will never ever buy another chrysler product again!

Nice truck

joe, 03/16/2005

This truck is fun to drive. The V8 is a must. Back seat is roomy for kids, but a little tight for large adults. The rear seat belts are the easiest I've used for installing car seats. I replaced a poor fitting vacuum hose and need to take it in to take care of recall issues. Gas milege isn't the best. A lot of vibration when driving with the windows down.

My Buying Experiance

Estatic, 04/07/2002

I had fun picking the salesman brain and finance rep also had a few pickings from me as well. However it was the car I wanted and I got it at a really great cost. To me this car is very functional for the family and for the lugging of heavy material and equipment. I am sure I will have some good years with my new Dakota.

Very nice medium pickup

L.F.Hawkins, 04/17/2002

Purchased this vehicle for several reasons:style,comfortable (6'2")both front and rear seats,capable of being towed wheels down(behind a motorhome) and dealership's service manager (fantastic reputation for service)I have been very satisfied with the truck,although fuel mileage could be improved,and would purchase another should anything happen to this one.

Saying Goodbye To My Dakota

John, 08/19/2008

I recently sold my 2002 Dodge Dakota. And I miss it already! I purchased it right off the truck in October 2001 and I fell in love with it right away. 7 years, 125,000 miles and very few repairs! The redesign and the low quality materials Mopar currently is using do not do my all-time favorite vehicle justice. I went everywhere in this truck. I got my money's worth out of it. Goodbye Dakota! (Yes, I know I'm a dork but still...)

This truck wrote the book of awesome.

Jon, 12/06/2008

This truck really is great. It's really more of a people hauler, with its ridiulously massive interior that comfortably seats 5 full size adults plus a child in the front middle. Yet despite this, the 5.9L magnum has plenty of get up and go, enough in fact to send this pickup 0-60 in about 8 seconds, which isn't bad at all for a truck. It's also got plenty of torque that can pull a trailer, a bed full of whatever, and a loaded cab all at the same time. I've used it for camping, towing both cars and trailers, I've even used it to pull a tree stump out of my yard. Currently a daily driver, still going strong after about 7 years of service, only problems have been 1 or 2 recalls, nothing major.

Dodge Dakota Quad Cab SLT

KCKettridge, 05/13/2002

Overall, we really like this truck for it's roominess, versatility and comfort. The Quad Cab is great for families with kids or an extra adult or two. The back seats three kids comfortably or two adults with good head and leg room. It's quite and comfortable ride are well appreciated on longer trips. Although the gas mileage could be better, giving it's weight and size, it is better than some full size, regular cab trucks.

Love my Quad

franzia, 05/24/2002

I had a 2000 Dakota club cab, but I needed more room in the back because my two little girls are not so little any more. I was going to by a SUV (Liberty), but once I drove the 2002 Quad cab I was sold, plus I got an excellent deal.

go dodge go

PRJOHNS69, 05/25/2002

THE V-8 OPTION IS EXCELLENT. THE FUEL CONSUMPTION IS POOR. TEST DROVE THE 6 CYL IT IS VERY WEAK. CHECK YOUR DEALERSHIP OUT. THE DEALERSHIP WHERE WE PURCHASED OUR DODGES WOULD RANK A 2 AS FAR AS HONESTY AND SERVICE.

Great truck

Jim123, 06/02/2002

This is my third Dakota. I thought I would try a Pathfinder and decided the V6 would not tow my small trailer. I went back to the Dakota Quad with the 4.7 and what a pleasure it is to drive. No problems with hills and I think the gas mileage is just as good as the Nissan V6. No problems so far and it looks great.

Great truck, could be a bit better

Rook, 06/10/2002

(V8 Manual) I have been taking this truck all over the south, on highways, on dirt roads, a bit off road, and I love it. Powerful even uphill, very smooth and quite silent, except at high speed when the wind noise gets a bit too loud. The bed is adequate, but I really missed the extra .7 of a foot. I liked the manual transfercase better than the electric one. I tried a toyota tundra and it felt smaller than the Dakota, and I couldn't get a manual transmission for the V8. Why do some manunfacturers take the manual transmission away from V8's??

Great Truck

big_george, 06/28/2002

Have a '92 Dakota Club Cab and needed more room in back for my kids. The Quad Cab is perfect. Ride and handling are great, seats are confortable on long rides and cabin is pretty quiet when I leave the kids at home. Love the power of 4.7 V8 engine; have a 3.9 V6 in the '92 and that engine is weak. Both trucks have automatic transmissions. My gas milage for the V8 (14/18)is not much different from the V6 (14/19) but have to use 89 octane in the V6 to keep it from pinging. The V8 uses 87 octane no problem. Get the V8, you'll be happier.

Best Truck in town

mullicamick, 07/15/2002

Take the Dakota for a test drive like I did , and you'll buy it .. It's fun , tough , roomy , and with the 4.7L it will tow my boat without a problem.

Good family truck

kn1, 07/31/2002

I wanted something to do a bit of everything, commute, haul the family, tow, offroad, etc. Really liked it from the start. Cab is very well laid out. Comfortable seating with room enough for me (6'2"), even in the rear seats. Seats 6, rear doors open really wide for good access. Truck bed is a bit short, but I don't know if I would want the truck any longer (it's a good compromise). Interior is nice, but not fancy--as it should be in a truck. Overall a great truck to handle many needs. Only complaint is that it seems a bit squirrilly on washboard roads or even some bumps on the highway. MPG around 17 (~70% highway driving).

good truck

DocBob, 08/02/2002

I had the truck for about 8 months. I is just what I wanted 4 doors acts like a car with the kids and has a bed to move stuff around. Only draw back is the gas milage but I knew that before I purchased the truck. Overall a very good truck a little wind noise on the hight way though.

Nice family truck..and the V8 rocks!

Allwirl, 08/19/2002

I had a Chevy..many problems. Then I got a Ram Quad 1500, it was nice, but sooo tight in the garage. This (not so) little Dakota is the perfect size for a family man who doesn't tote a lot of lumber anymore. Kids love the backseat, Mom loves the size, and Daddy loves the V8! The V6 seemed sluggish, and the V8 downright hauls butt. I actually got the V8 cheaper than I could have gotten the V6...go figure. From my past experience with the Ram, I know there is quality. I had minor problems, but dealership and Dodge excell in customer service. GOTTA GETTA DODGE!!!

Best truck I've owned

CEO, 08/23/2002

Great ride , great fun to drive (get the 4.7L V8) Milage so-so , but as a mid size tow vehical.. the best , Take a ride in all the others , then save the best for last , this way you can drive it home !

5.9L Full Time AWD Model

FULL TIME AWD, 08/31/2002

We loved the design, ride, features and HP. We have a FULLY Loaded 5.9L Full Time AWD(That is NO Longer AVL!) Automatic with overdrive, locking front and rear difs, Front & Rear ABS, Heavy Duty Tow Package with a engine oil cooler and heavy duty Tranny cooler ect....SADDLY.. We have had nothing but constant problems with it. The engine replaced, Front Diff replace, Constant drive train problems, AC problems, Exhaust Leaks and electrical problems. The dealer has had it more than we have!

4.7L Automatic 4x4

CAM, 09/30/2002

The Dodge Dakota is a fun and functional truck. It has been great for moving friends and making home improvements. The interior is simple and functional. A little more interior design would go along way.

4 DR Quad Cab 4WDR

brandy66, 12/03/2002

I bought this truck in june of 2002 with the 4.7 engine and tow pakage. I have taken it hunting fishing and camping. Ive pulled my boat with it and have had no problems at all. It is grate for the family plenty of room in the back seat for two kids and room left over.The 4.7 is awsom chevy and ford dont make a small truck that can compare.I drive a mix of highway and city and get about 15.3 miles to the gallon with 3400 miles on the truck now. Iam hopeing this will get alittle better as I get more miles on it. I chose the dodge truck for a few reasons.Looks, Price the price is better than the ford or chevy.style, interior room. power from the 4.7 is great.

Dodge Dakota

SVurno, 12/05/2002

I couldn't be happier.

Steer Clear ONLY as a LAST resort.

dodgeneveragain, 12/31/2002

Have had ALOT of problems since the purchase. Lost the transmission within the first 2,000 miles. Still having some problems at shifting points of the transmission. Rough idle. Surge in the motor at hwy speed. Several other misc. problems that mysteriously can't be recreated at the dealership. Have noticed very poor overall craftsmanship upon closer inspection after the purchase. Little Late then!! Oh well, stuck for now. NEVER again!! If I can keep at least ONE person from buying, this comment will not have been in vain. Will look at Chevrolet, Ford or Import next time!!

Fun

eagleeye13, 07/09/2003

Special ordered 4.7, 3.55 lsd, 5 spd with all the goodies. added 3" dynamax cat back exhaust, K&N air filter and ARE tonneau. July 5,2003 drove from San Diego to San Fernando Valley and back 370 miles speed 75 mph avg (70-80) freeway, with about 30 miles city type driving 19.6 mpg for trip. This truck rides and handles more like a car. Previous trucks were '98 dakota 5.2 with same as '02 accesories, needed more seat room, and '89 se-v6 Nissan loaded, I get better mpg from both Dakota's with more comfort and power then the Nissan.

1st Dodge P/up

rcarlson, 11/28/2003

34000 plus miles to date, and only malfunction has been a lose rear view mirror. The Goodyear Eagle tires were worn down to less then 1/4th of a penny tread left at 30,000 miles. Not very impressive tire performance. I have replaced with Michelins best light truck tires, and the comfort and handling is greatly improved.

Gas mileage

Joel, 08/26/2005

I love my truck and the way it rides. The only problem is the gas mileage. I might get 17 MPG on the highway if I'm lucky. That's driving around 60 to 70 MPH with the tailgate down. I've talked to others who own a Dakota and they average about the same.

nice truck

robbins, 02/04/2004

nice ride for 4x4,strong braking,fun truck to drive interior needs to be upgrade.

Gotta love a Dodge

Andy, 03/26/2006

Have been thoroughly pleased with this truck with only minor exceptions. This truck drives, handles, and tows exceptionally. I've used it to haul cars, trucks, boats, campers, and my family without fail.

Great Value

marinedig1us, 05/05/2004

Very dependable, reliable. Well powered.

silver bullet dakota quad

blackdakota, 07/11/2004

No problems after 55k miles. Plenty of room for 4 adults, plus bikes and luggage in the bed. Works all day then is stylish for a night on the town. Leaves all other compact and some full- size pickups in the dust.

Almost Bullet Proof Fun and Useful Ride

Mitchis57, 07/23/2004

This is my third Dakota, 5.9 still can hold it's own across intersections but fades quickly off idle, needs slightly more cam in mid range but that might take away some of it's dependability and gas economy would suffer. Thinking of a supercharger. Going to Mobile 1 for remaining years of service. Thought of a Colorado but lacked the solid fun.

Given up on Dodge

Chuck, 05/25/2005

Thought I would "buy American" and get the Dodge Dakota 4 dr crew. Love its style, comforts, more power than I need (4.7L V8) 2WD has no traction in snow or ice. Very easy to drive and comfortable 6ft.2 220lbs.(2 trips NJ to Calif.) Gas mileage stinks...13-18mpg, no loads. Brake rotors replaced 28K, Left top ball joint worn (no recall yet)A/C needed charging, Right front hub and bearings replaced 49K, rear leaf spring noisy, transmission hesitation occasionally. Great truck to drive and haul but reliability really in question with only 49K. Probably back to Nissan or Toyota.

It's the suspension stupid

Dan H, 07/31/2005

This is my second Dakota. The ball joints have been replaced on both twice now.Other than that, it's a good little truck. 18/19 mpg and I make it work for its gas. The transmission is quirky, but still going strong, and I will likely buy another. The brakes arenot too good

51050