Used 2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caliber model:

I could not ask for better!!!
By Belinda

2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon R/T 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

When I was originally shopping for a wagon style vehicle I was looking at a Toyota Matrix. However, Toyota and the other vehicles under its manufacturing umbrella starting having numerous problems. Ergo, I discovered the Dodge Caliber. I researched and test drove the model I purchased. I bought my Caliber in 2010 (it's a 2008 model) in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Since its purchase, I have drove it around New Hampshire (from the seacoast to as far inland as Manchester), around Maine, into Massachusetts, and throughout Connecticut. I relocated from the northeast down to Texas; and, I drove the Caliber all the way down to Houston, Texas. While I resided in Texas for four years, I drove it back and forth to San Antonio regularly (at least twice a month). I drove to Louisiana (about once a month). I drove to Oklahoma. In 2015 I relocated to Missouri. Since my move to Missouri, I have driven the Caliber to the various Oklahoma casinos about once a quarter. I have driven to Springfield about twice a month. I have driven down to Fayeteville, Arkansas a couple of times. The only major engine repairs made were the intake manifold was seized open and the muffler needed to be replaced. Additionally, the only major suspension work that needed to be done were a front-end tie-rod. Other than that, regular oil changes, tire rotations, and maintenance has kept her running like a champ. So much so, that I was in a near head-on collision a couple of days ago and was able to almost walk away (was carted off in an ambulance). But, I am alive to write this review. So, the over all critique: it is the best vehicle I have ever purchased! I would highly recommend this as a purchase for anyone!

Just know you will need repair money
By David Stevens

2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car used and it seemed like a steal 30,000 miles for $8k. It isn't bad with low mileage other than it struggles if you go up large hills like in southern Ohio. Mine gets about 24-27 miles a gallon. Once this car got over 100,000 miles it became garbage. I had to rebuild the transmission a month ago, now the engine cradle is rusting out, and I know there is more rust on the underside and in the wheel wells. If you get this car and plan on keeping it past 100,000 have some serious repair money set aside. If you don't plan on keeping it past 100,000 it is a good car.

Worse vehicle I've ever had
By Paisha

2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The suspension on these cars are garbage. Mine is a manual. Shifting is terrible. Control arms, wheel barrings, shocks, everything I've replaced 2-3 times and now my sub frame is wrecked. The first thing to go was the master cylinder. I would never recommend this car to anyone. Money pit 100%

Great little car
By Steve J

2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing fancy, but great functionality. Reliable. Good acceleration (2.0). Loves to drive/ride at 75mph on highway -- it glides n sails. Has 93k miles on it. Bought it for $10.5k in December of 2009. Paid for -- resale value $5000 cash (dang good after 7years!). I changed the alternator ($1000- but that was probably because I drove it in salt-water puddles on the beach in Florida) 3 years ago. New tires ($450). Two batteries ($200). Windshield wipers ($25). That's it. Runs like a charm. I'm looking around for a new car, but no rush. Lucky me. Hope I didn't jinx myself.

Most Ridiculous Car Ever Made
By Neal Buck

2008 Dodge Caliber Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I can't believe this car was ever made. It's utterly ridiculous. First and foremost, the acceleration is practically non existent. The harder you push down the acceleration pedal, the slower the car accelerates. I think the issue is more with the automatic transmission than the actual torque, though, because it often feels like the car is starting from second gear and then realizes it's not supposed to do that and jerkily downshifts to first. The suspension is a sort of princess and the pea situation with every little bump in the road translating into a spleen-rattling affair. From the outside, the Caliber looks like a spacious family car, but the inside is fully taken up with the dashboard, which is roughly the size of an eight-seat dining room table. The front seats have a fair amount of leg room underneath the dashboard, but any backseat passengers don't fare as well. And good luck fitting more than one kid's car seat back there. You would think they could have taken a couple of feet out of the dash to provide more room for the back seats. I can only assume the engineer responsible for the Caliber's design envisioned serving a large meal on the dashboard. There can be no other reason for that design.

I have only two good things to say about this car. First, we have had to do no major repairs on it since we got it. But I think that's about to change. I believe the suspension and transmission will be requiring repairs before long. Second, the storage space is pretty decent, especially when you lay down the back seats.

Overall, I wouldn't wish this car on anyone. Its two small perks do not compensate for a host of design failures and automotive mishaps. This car is actually really funny when you give it much thought. It's like the engineers planned it as a practical joke.