Used 2000 Chrysler 300M Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used 300M for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

14 years and still going strong

duster7, 01/22/2014
4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 300M brand new (ordered from the factory) and have had nothing but a great experience with it. The car was not as fast as my twin-turbo Stealth but very few cars could match that performance. But it has room. I am tall and even with the driver's seat in my driving position, I can sit comfortably in the back seat without my legs touching the driver's seat. The ride is very comfortable without being out-of-touch. The reliability has been nothing short of amazing. Other than normal wear parts (tires, break pads, bushings, wiper blades, air filters, etc) the car has not needed any significant work. Nearly 200,000 miles!

My 300M - 248,849 miles same eng and trns.

Ray K, 07/31/2009
4dr Sedan

I have put 248,849 miles on my 300M, still has the original engine and transmission. I have to say I did keep up with the oil changes, most of my driving was highway driving for about 100 per day. The 300M has served me well. The problems I have had with the car was that all 4 of the automatic door locks needed to be replaced, warranty handled the cost of 2 and I footed the cost for the other 2. I even tried to get them to replace the last 2 before the door locks failed and the warranty ran out but no luck. Also the air-conditioner required about 1,000 dollars of work to get fix after 7 years. If those items didn't go wrong I may have gotten another. Surprise, but I'm driving a Prius now.

Still Love It

Carloskid, 03/28/2010
4dr Sedan

After 10 years of loving attention, my '2000 M still turns heads. With factory chrome wheels and slightly fatter tires on the 17" wheels, it looks very contemporary. Most newer cars still retain the look the 330M pioneered in 1999. No significant problems - Except for tires, all original equipment. (Almost all highway driving). I'd buy it again.

Wish Chrysler still made them.

Paul, 04/20/2008
4dr Sedan

The most comfortable car i have ever owned. 250 HP and 26 MPG combined city/hwy. Bought it used in 1/2005 with 120k on it. Still had original EVERYTHING: shocks, struts, battery, brakes. Original owner did nothing but put gas in it(probably didn't even change the oil). I changed all those items and put new tires on it, then racked up 65k more over the next 2 years. It started everyday, got me wherever I wanted to go in comfort and style. Just had to change the oil every 3k. It was the best car I've ever had and it was only $7k (low price because of the high miles). I wish I could buy a brand new one, but they've been replaced with the new 300 (fewer features, higher prices).

Huge Mistake Buying Chrysler 300M!!!!

ChryslerJunk, 09/29/2009
4dr Sedan

I was stupid enough to go from owning a reliable, quality built Honda Accord to purchasing a Chrysler 300M in late 1999. Big mistake. I was suckered into believing in American made and falling for the cool exterior design...what was underneath was pure junk. I can't tell you the amount of money, worry, disappointment, and absolute frustration this vehicle has brought me. I remember bringing it home thinking I would baby it and have it for years...imagining it could be considered a classic some day...what a naive notion that was. It's a Chrysler stupid!!!! USA Auto Execs dismissed Dr. Deming who wanted to teach them about Total Quality Systems. So he went to Japan where they listened.

Too many problems.

rifat, 11/09/2008
4dr Sedan

If only it had a better looking front and was more reliabile, this car could have joined the classic cars. What I don't understand is why Chrysler seem to be careless to the same problems that keep on coming year after year without taking care of them.

Good, Bad, and Ugly

Renee, 12/15/2008
4dr Sedan

The good: my 2000 300M drive and handling on the highway and around corners is great! the bad is occassionally my interior lights for no reason start to flash on and off which can be very distrubing when you are drivig on the highway at night and you look like an emergency vehicle racing down the highway also i've had to replace my center caps 3 times at 20.00 a replacement my roters have been replaced 2 twice the weather stripping around the doors has been replaced also the door lock motor is sprung the speakers have blowen, the heater blows cold air, transmission and oil leak (its now at the shop) the ugly the car paint is pealing terribly but I love this car! thanks Chrysler

Liked almost everything about the car

Ken, 02/20/2009
4dr Sedan

I had my 300M about 1 1/2 years. It ran and handled very well. Gas mileage was good at 21-25mpg, with an avg of about 23mpg. But, what was being stated in these reviews came to light. Condenser ($700), power steering lines ($200) and front end parts needed replaced. I replaced many parts under the front end and still couldn't get rid of the clunking noise. Finally, you need to remove the front fascia to replace a simple light bulb.

300M 100K , Still Going strong!!

Jesse A. Esparza, 06/16/2006
4dr Sedan

My 300 now has 100K miles on it and it still looks and drives as good as when I first drove it off the lot. I've done the regular tune-ups etc, aside from a faulty computer, replaced under the original factory warranty, the car has been trouble free. I get about 21/22 MPG in Houston, TX city traffic and an average of 29/30 Highway. In the past six years it's made the following trips form Houston TX to: Chicago, IL 5 times/ Orlando, FL 2 times/ Colorado Springs, CO 2 times/ El Paso, TX 4 times/ Mexico City, Mexico 8 times/ San Antonio,TX 20 times/ Dallas, TX 20 times. It has been a great car, I'll drive it until the wheels fall off!!

2000 Chrysler 300 M- Major Problems

harry, 09/20/2005
4dr Sedan

No problems until car was 4 years old and had 21,185 miles. Had to replace complete steering box and sway bar in July of 2004. Estimated bill from dealer was $2100 but they made goodwill adjustment and reduced it to $300. In June of this year the air conditioner started blowing warm air. Dealer checked for leaks and recharged for $246. Now in Sept it is blowing warm air again and they tell me the Evaporator needs replaced at $1050 and the car now has 28.861 miles. I has Chrylser for a adjustment and they refused. Pretty good realibility from Chrysler for a car having 28,861 mile! Had previous Chryslers and never had to replace major components like these. Won't buy another Chrysler.

Great performance, mediocre reliability.

donald9251, 03/23/2012
4dr Sedan

I have had the car for 4 years so far. Bought it in 2008 with 77K miles on it. Since then I've had to replace the power door lock on the driver's side, the front suspension control arms, turn signal flasher and the oil pressure switch. The a/c also doesn't blow cold because there's a leak in the a/c system (the condenser, compressor, or evaporator). Not sure if I want to spend the money to fix the a/c. Also the interior instrument panel lights were flashing, so I replaced the headlight/dimmer switch assembly with a used on purchased from eBay (that fixed the problem). However the car has strong acceleration and smooth engine performance, but Chrysler needs to focus on reliability.

My Wonderful Chrysler

bobekah, 01/07/2012
4dr Sedan

I got this car 2 years ago, It must have been when the car was completely falling apart but still looked good out side (thats what got me). I love my car but in the first year I put over 4000 into repair from Front end popping (which came back after replacing knuckles) constant creaking sound in my trunk area. Speakers blew a month after having the thing. Constant electrical problems. My dash flickers and my heated seats dont work. Ive gotten all new tires and they still leak! NEW rims and they still leak! This is my baby I spend alot of money but its a rip off for sure! The things only got 123,000 miles on it and the engine praformace is great

lemon

allprosteve, 07/09/2004
4dr Sedan

electrical problems has third battery symptoms still come and go

Wow!!! A new battery after 12 years.

Carl Raichle, 03/04/2017
4dr Sedan

If you find a low mileage 300M , buy it. This car needed zero maintenance in 12 yrs. beyond oil and tires. Same brakes, same battery. I am sure because the battery is very difficult to remove. I had the sport model, and I installed one size wider tires (for looks). Car was sold -- if you buy mine, you will have a really nice car.

Anyone else with bad Goodyears!

ej, 04/14/2002
4dr Sedan

Great car with many great features for the money. Front end shakes a bit attributable to bad tires per dealer.

Chrysler 300M

John, 07/26/2008
4dr Sedan

Bought a loaded, but used, 300M with 173,000 miles for wife at auction. Initially was leery about car, given Chrysler's reputation for poor product quality, but so far have been pleasantly pleased. Highway acceleration is good. Sound system is nice, except two speakers are blown, and I can't stand the idea of paying for something that my 10-year-old son calls "cosmetic." Only major mechanical problem has been a transmission sensor that put car into "limp in" mode. Once diagnostic code was cleared, car ran fine. I think my 300M must have been lovingly maintained by a doctor or something, because it's been--knock on wood-- relatively problem-free. Insurance costing more than maintenance.

Nice car

Ken, 10/02/2008
4dr Sedan

I have owned this car about a year. It is comfortable, sporty and fun to drive. I like the auto-stick. However, some flaws are present. I had to replace the evaporator($700+) and there is a clunk in the front end that no one seems to be able to identify and fix.

Many problems

my first chrysler, 05/01/2002
4dr Sedan

I love the design of the car but have had a lot of trouble with the dealership as well as the reliability. The following is what has been repaired/replaced since the purchase: 2 sets of rotors, plus 1 resurfaced. 2 sets of brake pads, 2 alignments, 8 tires, drives side door latch (twice) and steering rack. The car currently has 28,000 miles on it. I currently have a compaint into Chrysler and I am awaiting their response.

Excellent Car

Tom_, 05/02/2002
4dr Sedan

This car has not given me one problem in over 30,000 miles so far. I can't believe how great it is.

Good Value For the Price

kingpbk, 05/08/2002
4dr Sedan

I was looking for a car that was sporty yet had room for more than two people. Compared the 300M to Lincoln LS and Lexus. Although those cars are considered exceptional, the 300M was by far the best bang for the buck. Had some Goodyear tire issues that got resolved, they were causing a slight pull to the right. They need to improve upon the molding around the doors, doesn't seem to fit very well.

It's been a fun car to own

John Thomas, 05/11/2002
4dr Sedan

I drive 38 miles to work each day. Some of that is back road and some freeway. The 300M is a constant joy to drive. It's powerful with good handling, yet the interior is refined and very comfortable. After almost two years of ownership, I have yet to get tired of driving this car.

Love My 300M

kdemarco, 05/20/2002
4dr Sedan

Very comfortable, roomy, and first class interior. Lots of leg room in the backseat which really surprises owners of the Toyota Camry. That's American over Japanese! A sporty looking full sized sedan. Great for young or older people of the 1950's. Only minor problems with two windows that would not roll down and had the motors replaced. Also, two inner rubber door mouldings were replaced. It's a first class car. Kathy in Houston

GM Man finds 300M

jek18, 05/21/2002
4dr Sedan

As a 45 year old driver that can normally drive the best cars into the ground with hard driving, I find the Chyrsler 300M beefy enough with its AutoStick Transmission to get the most out of exceleration or engine braking. It has the horsepower to keep up with the Bimmers or 'Stangs yet is curvacious enough to have an elegant feel. The automatic temperature controls work flawlessly, while the auto light control keeps you safe.

hey

derek, 05/26/2009
4dr Sedan

I bought my 300m with 44,000 miles on it. It now has 126,000. Its been alright but this past year stupid things have been happening. I had to replace my tie rods twice in 4 years. My rear doors locks are screwed up. My struts in the front end are bad. I think my muffler is ripped. Its all wear and tear stuff. Nothing Major. I have maintained it very well. Tune ups oil changes brakes. Its never left me stranded on the side of the road. Overall its an ok car. Not great but I hope it last another 3 4 years.

First family car

EZG0_N, 02/05/2010
4dr Sedan

I bought the car new in 2000 and have loved driving it! It now has 143K miles on it. Love the styling, performance and ride. I can get 3 car seats in back with enough (carefully packed) in the trunk for a short weekend trip. The HVAC has never works properly. There have been some problems with the dashboard blinking, radiator, driver’s window, headlamps foggy, dashboard cracked, rims leak – badly - and now some minor electrical and transmission problems. Otherwise the car is still sound, very minor rust on the door bottoms and acid rain spots. It’s going to be sad to trade it in once the 4th child arrives.

Glad it's a lease

KennyO, 07/14/2002
4dr Sedan

I picked this up 4/00. The finish shot. The dealer was 'unable' to fix. I had to buff it myself. Day one, the tail lights didn't work. Found that out at 1 AM. just swell. Other problems: an auto lamp that goes nuts in bright sunlight, a crunching noise in the front end but the mechanics can't find it. The car was delivered W/O an air filter, go figure. Three years the State of Florida has mailed the re-regist. paper to Chrysler Leasing and they have THROWN THEM AWAY. This has earned me a nice $ 85 fine while parked at Miami Airport. Complain to Chrysler? They simply suck and are incapable of changing. Why is this car is rated highly?

Can't Beat It! (for the price)

Darian A E, 08/03/2002
4dr Sedan

I evaluated the competition first: Lexus ES300/Lincoln LS/Olds Aurora/Acura TL/Nissan Maxima. With incentives, I got a loaded 300M for $25900. Of the competitors, only Acura handled as well, but for $6500 more, & cloaked in boring sheet metal. The 300M is gorgeous inside & out & handles/accelerates aggressively. It has been quite reliable, & the dealer is generally helpful. Both front & back seats are the most comfortable places to sit I own, yet provide ample support for tire-screeching, scare-the-baby hairpin turns common in the Rockies. If you don't believe me, rent it on a 3- day roadtrip & see for yourself.

300M at a Glance

Kirk Rutkosky, 08/27/2002
4dr Sedan

My 300M has never had any failures at all, mechanical or other. At 26500 miles, the car performs at the same levels as when I purchased it, from my perpective. 100% reliable, well built, nice looking, and excellent features are packed in this one!

Flawless 300M

wwoods18, 09/15/2002
4dr Sedan

I have had my 2000 300M for 27 faultless months. I have not had to take it back to the dealership for any warrenty repairs yet. The only fault that I can find with the vehicle is the Goodyear tires supplied from the factory. They are very expensive, and wear out much too soon. I have already replaced two of the original tires, and will replace the other two very soon. Other than that, it has been a great car with excellent power, and respectable gas mileage.

Highway and Country Traveler

Don300, 11/01/2002
4dr Sedan

After driving BMWs for years, I was looking for a good mix of handling and performance without the BMW repair bills: A fully loaded (including Perf/Handling package and sunroof) 300M. The original Michelin Pilot 17" tires are now about half worn, and only "talk" to me when I really lean into a corner. The front end is rock solid at 80+. I like the auto-stick for control on mountain roads (I drive them almost daily). I also like the mileage (avg 24 and 30 on the open hwy). It had a vacuum leak initially, but they fixed it in one visit. It's not a racer, but it will out- handle any other 4 door Detroit monster. Good job Chrysler.

Great car/Pulsations

bptbob, 11/08/2002
4dr Sedan

The car is 99% perfect. As from other posting this car had warped rotors early and were replaced. Very heavy pulsations when breaking occurs.

Well Rounded Car

Just Bob, 11/09/2002
4dr Sedan

What a perfect blend of style, performance, and dependability.

300 M

ZAK, 03/27/2002
4dr Sedan

MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE 300M CHRYSLER HAS BEEN EXCELLENT, HOWEVER i HAVE BEEN EXPERINCING A SLIGHT WOBBLE IN THE STEERING WHEEL. THE TIRES HAVE BEEN REPLACED 3 TIMES AND HOPEFULLY IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN. USUALLY AFTER 9000 MILES IT STARTS UP..THE DEALERSHIP STATES THAT IT IS THE GOODYEAR TIRE PROBLEM.

Unhappy

Bezant, 10/26/2002
4dr Sedan

Transmission seals replaced twice and transmission still clunks when shifting. Power windows quit twice. Blower motor quit in middle of winter. Plastic cap fell off wheel due to rust. Vinyl trim around inside of door openings shrank and was replaced. If you please, I was told by a dealer employee that it was because I failed to leave the windows down a bit on hot weather. Hogwash!!!

Should be better

David Cunningham, 12/21/2002
4dr Sedan

For the price this vehicle should be built better. To many little problems.

300M

vector32, 01/12/2003
4dr Sedan

WOW! So far this car has been a blast. The auto-stick is fairly worthless however, so I just drive with the shifter in "Drive." Passing power has yet to be questioned and 0-60 mph is surprisingly snappy. This was quite a pleasant surprise for front-wheel drive I thought. The A/C and heat controls are awesome as are the heated power seats. With auto-start and XM radio, this car will be with me for some time! It's great that a domestic car with its huge interior could handle and ride so smoothly. Thanks Chrysler!!

Good price, sacrifice quality

ScottVT, 01/20/2003
4dr Sedan

2nd chrysler product I've bought, will be my last. The power- everything options is where the quality shows through. For the first 2 1/2 years I had no major problems. Since then, my engine cut out on me while on an off ramp, almost causing an accident. Carbon buildup in the throttle bore (29k miles). Power window went bad. Power seat shifted around as i drove (dealer considered "normal"). You get what you pay for. Car is nice to look at and comfortable to drive, but still k- car quality. They consistantly rank at the low end of reliability for a reason.

Fun and dependable

eliasvanc, 02/19/2008
4dr Sedan

Bought it new in 1999 and now have 8 years with almost no issues. Fixed 2 of the door locks - like everyone else - and had the drivers window motor go out. Plan a couple hundred for each item. Otherwise a strong runner that's great to drive. I would highly recommend buying one of these used as a dependable family car. Lots of room, good performance and good looks. And, over 10K miles of city and light highway driving, I average 23.6 MPG. Upwards of 28 MPG on long hauls.

Fantastic

NutrnlMtblc, 08/02/2003
4dr Sedan

You will not find a better car than this for <$30,000 (new)

Great Automobile!

doo-wop62, 08/14/2003
4dr Sedan

My 300M is almost four years old, 75K miles, and has never needed a special service. The tires were just replaced, but all other equipment remain the original items. I have never had an automobile with this level of reliability, performance and value. It is also one of the most appealing looking cars on the highway...would purchase another one!

solid car at 80K miles

jimblasick, 08/26/2003
4dr Sedan

I've driven this car 80K miles in just over 3 years; routine maintenance, but no repairs whatsoever have been needed. Other reviewers are correct about the tire wear - and at $800 a set I'd prefer not to be buying the FOURTH set of tires (including factory originals). So ... I was ready to trade for either the Lexus RX330 or the Infiniti FX45 and I drove both. Now, both are wonderful cars, BUT the 300M is more comfortable, rides more smoothly, handles better and is considerably faster than either of the others. Other than the tire wear, this has been a nearly perfect car. My only real regret is that I bought it in the silly "cypress green" color.

Decent Fullsize

edmundsauto1, 10/12/2012
4dr Sedan

I just got mine 00' 300m not to long ago, 263K miles now has 265K on it, Havnt had to do anything previous owner didnt really take car of it but it is a sound car i have gotton 28mpg out of it! not bad for a full size car alltho if you look at what you save you will have to put it back into it..... all in all seems like a decent car.

Never again

Never Again , 09/13/2003
4dr Sedan

Bought this car in 2000 after reading Chrysler had improved on their Quality. Boy was I wrong. To date, I have had power lock problems, power window problems, and the radio and climate control freaks out on me every so often. Oh yes, and the wheels are horrible. I have had 4 flats in 6 months. Dealership says its the Aluminum wheels and the wear caused by the salt. And, to replace the tire, you need a sledge hammer to get the wheel off!!! Its going on the used car mkt today

Last one for me!!!!!!

Dan-n-Angie, 08/13/2003
4dr Sedan

Thank goodness for the extended warranty. The great options can only make-up for so much. In 60,000 miles we had to get the power window motor replaced, electronic transmission sensor replaced, electric seat motor replaced and now the front brake rotors (how do they hot enough to warp with our damaging the pads?) Continually have problem with shaking once tires get 20,000 miles. This is the first and last Chrysler for me and they've probably ruined any chances for their fellow American manufactures.

A fun car to drive

L E Magnuson, 09/17/2003
4dr Sedan

I selected this car over a Lincoln LS because I liked the styling. It was the same size, shorter than my Park Ave, but had a more "perky" look. The new shifter capability is fun to use on windy, hilly roads like we have in NC.My only complaint is there is a high degree of wind and road noise at high speeds on the highway. Also the only flat I had in several years occurred on a Sunday and it was difficult to find someone stocking a 17" tire.

Major Lemon

antho59263, 12/10/2004
4dr Sedan

This car is a maintenance headache. Had to replace all four power door lock motors ($150 ea.) Had to get the transmission fixed every three months within the last year. (over $1500) First a transmission computer chip had to be replaced. Then transmission hoses were leaking and needed to be replaced, etc. Right front speaker needed to be replaced ($75).

LOVED it...'til it started to fall apart

markra, 10/03/2003
4dr Sedan

This car has broken my heart recently. It's been a joy when it's working right, but now (87K), it's turning into a HUGE money-eater. Every little problem turns out to be a big, expensive one. So far, my 300M has needed a head gasket(!), front control arms & struts, an A/C evaporator core, and now it needs a new computer (due to a failed purge sensor). Nearly $5,000 in recent repairs...will be complaining LOUDLY to Chrysler. Damn shame, 'cause I otherwise have loved it.

low maintenance,good drive and good look

tfahertyesq, 10/19/2003
4dr Sedan

This red Chrysler has to be the best they made. The service was the best for the "check ups". The driving was fun and it came with what were "optionals" in other cars. Mileage was comparable and probable better than and the design is for a "catwalk". Heated seats are a pleasure in the winter as is the back lumbar adjustment. The sound, with both the discs and the cassettes, is beautiful. The leather still looks new. I wish the newest model was as cool the

hope i did the right thing

phil e, 10/29/2003
4dr Sedan

Had a 2000 Intrepid, cinnamon glaze,nice color loved it very much but I was afraid about the 2.7 engine problems. So I traded the car for the 300M same color. Many, many, more options, fun to drive, handles as good as my Corvette. With the 3.5, 250 hp engine and auto stick couldn't be more fun to drive. I have the car for one month so far, so good. Now I have the best of both worlds.

Great car to drive and look at!

Chrysler 300M, 04/17/2005
4dr Sedan

I have to say this has been a trouble free car. It has had no major problems. It is one of the few cars I have owned in my 73 years that I like as much now as the day I drove it off the dealers lot. The new 300 is nice, except for more power in the 300C I would not sell my 300M to get one.

51050