2017 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Volt model:

Best car I've ever owned
By Vic

2017 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Premier 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

In 2017 I was town between the Volt and it's all electric sister, the Bolt. I went with the Volt due to the lack of charging infrastructure in the North East, thus I didn't want the stress of range anxiety. This car has been rock solid with over 25k miles on her, and only tire rotations and one oil change done thus far. I average over 2k miles per tank, which is truly awesome. Best part , she looks like a normal car, unlike some other hybrids. Buy with confidence!

Outstanding performance and quality
By Howard

2017 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

My wife and I leased our 2017 Chevy Volt 2 years ago and this car has exceeded our expectations. There is nothing better than driving a Volt on battery power, You can't imagine how smooth and powerful the electric motors are and how quiet they are. It is not unusual to get 60+ miles on a full charge here in SW Florida. Then in Hybrid Mode you barely notice the gas engine kicking at in about 20MPH after you exhaust the 14.4 KW part of the PHEV battery. At internet speeds our Volt holds the road like a sports car but does so with a smooth and quiet ride. There's something to said about the low and heavy center of gravity the batteries create. Then finally there's the 40 MPG we got at an average of 75 MPH during a trip we took from SW Florida to Oswego New York last year. When our lease runs out we are buying this car.

Last GM I’ll ever own
By Ed

2017 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

. Gonna start off by saying I don’t hate everything in the car. The drivetrain is excellent, plenty of power and fun to drive. However, I’ve had it a year and a half and 11,000 miles and I can’t keep it out of the dealership. Tire problems since new, sidewalk bubbles since the week I picked it up. Check engine light all the time. 6 trips to the dealer with evap problems. “Aerodynamic” louvres behind the front grille freeze up all the time in the winter causing a check engine light, which in turn, prevents remote start from working. Infotainment would be great if it worked, but it only does about 50% of the time. Bluetooth doesn’t always connect, neither does apple CarPlay and when it does it doesn’t always work properly. Replaced phone and cable, dealer updated system, no improvement. Was told “that’s how they all work.” Finally purchased satellite radio because the CarPlay sucks and now I get terrible reception. Can’t win with this car, never again.

Fully Loaded Gen 2 Volt
By Metro Chicago Art

2017 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Premier 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have owned two 2017 Chevy Volt Premiers each with the same four option packages: Confidence (that is, safety) Packages I and II, Adaptive Cruise Control and Premium Sound with Navigation. The car should truly bear a Buick or Cadillac nameplate. It is one of a handful of 2017 cars assembled in America to earn the highest safety rating of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety: "TOP SAFETY PICK+". It is actually two different vehicles (that is, powertrains) in one: (i) a pure plug-in electric-only vehicle ("EV") with a 50+ electric mile range (except in winter) and (ii) a Prius-like hybrid when the electric range is exhausted or sooner if you choose to be operating in hybrid mode while saving the battery-only miles. In hybrid mode, the vehicle gets 40+ mpg despite hauling the heavy batteries. In EV mode, it is virtually as fast off the line as a Tesla. But, unlike Teslas and most other EVs, it is not "range limited" and there is no "range anxiety" especially during cold weather. The two front seats are comfortable and spacious, easily accommodating football linemen. The back seats are not uncomfortable but are not designed for larger/taller adults. A young child can sit in the center rear (with legs spread where the pronounced "hump" of much older cars is replaced by a part of the high voltage battery pack). It has a fine sound system, Bluetooth, USB ports and auxiliary port. It will play videos off of a USB flash drive on the large center display if the car's transmission is in "P"; if not, it plays the audio only. Honda's plug-in Clarity is the first real competition with better rear seating but lacks the technical prowess of the Volt. With the 60/40 rear seats down, the Volt can carry a surprising large payload. Why have I owned two 2017 Volts? Answer: a 16 year old driver (who "didn't see me coming") decided to start up from the stop sign controlling his side street to cross an arterial street on which I was traveling in the 40 mph range perpendicular to each other just as I entered the intersection. I had about one second to mash the brake pedal (and did) before impact (right 1/3 of the vehicle's front) with full front airbag deployment. That first 2017 Volt of mine was totaled by his insurance carrier and I replaced it using the insurance recovery with an identical used Volt except for the exterior color. My wife and I were kept safe by the Volt's outstanding safety features and suffered apparently only minor bruises and minor pain from the rapid deceleration and airbag deployment. The Adaptive Cruise Control ("ACC") and lane-keeping systems make driving, especially long distance highway driving, so much easier. It is far too easy to go too fast in this car unless you have the ACC engaged or pay close attention to the speedometer. Its low center of gravity--due to the low placement of the batteries--makes cornering a breeze with little, if any, body lean. My now-destroyed Volt had lifetime mpg of around 73 in a roughly 50/50 mix of long distance (325 to 600 mile one-way trips) road trips and EV-only local commuter driving. My replacement Volt's lifetime mpg is currently in excess of 100 mpg. Under Commonwealth Edison's wholesale electric plan ("RRTP"), my driving in EV mode costs about 2.5 cents per mile. Regenerative braking means brake jobs are basically unheard of. Oil changes are no longer based on miles because the engine is, of course, completely turned off in EV mode and are likewise far and few between. Purchased new, the Volt still qualifies for the $7,500 federal income tax credit. GM outdid itself with this outstanding vehicle.

Intermittent software issues again
By Mike Brown

2017 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Premier 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased this fully loaded 2017 Volt Premier in May 2016. The first 30 days the car was in service 3 times for electrical problems the dealer thought were repaired. GM dispatched specialist who upgraded software and it worked. 2 years no issues and 14500 miles. Now another intermittent issue. Car does not recognize in park and no shutoff. Brought to dealer and problem occured while checking car in but technician could not replicate. Upon return home same it showed problem again. Now calling GM.