Used 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Tahoe for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Love My 1999 Chevy Tahoe

tramhue, 12/19/2012

I can honestly say I really enjoy the reliability of my 1999 Chevy Tahoe with it's powerful 5.7 liter engine. I am a HVAC and water-proofing contractor and this truck exceeds all my expectations. I also charter fish on Lake Erie and this vehicle tows my Sea-Ray with little effort. I had to replace the fuel pump a couple years ago..and get a tune-up after 140 K miles, but let me tell Chevy cannot improve much on this vehicle.

Made In The USA SUV with good towing capability

V8-Snail, 02/22/2016
LS 4dr SUV

I bought the vehicle used in 2014 at only 69,000 miles for $2,680.00, I know buying a 15 years old vehicle even with the low mileage was very risky, however what the heck I have good mechanical ability. Gas mileage is a joke for this truck, I think I am going to make a bumper sticker that said "I am supporting OPEC, one full gas tank at the time". It doesn't help my truck had the towing package with 3.73 rear diff gearing, even freeway driving only give me about 15 MPG. Of course in the SoCal freeway we need to drive at 80MPH to keep up with the traffic flow, and this high speed doesn't help. So the first thing you will have to replace on the 5.7L vortec (L31 Engine), is the intake manifold gasket and replace the coolant with the regular green prestone stuff. This would cost at the minimum about $700 at the dealership. So learn how to do this yourself. Second, make sure you drain and replace filter on the auto transmission fluid, and while you at it might as well install the corvette servo and Transgo shift kit (4L60E-HD2). This make your slush box shift a little quicker and actually make the the heavy vehicle feels lighter on its wheels. Third, check the high pressure power steering hose, most of the time this will also go bad. Fourth, check the brakes and replaced all worn out parts, this vehicle have a very underrated braking system thus you need it at the tip top conditions just to have a decent stopping distance. I also replaced the brake master cylinder to the NBS Tahoe (2001-2003) master cylinder. This help the braking a little but caution still needed when driving this heavy vehicle. Fifth, tune up by replacing the plugs, dist. rotor and cap, and belt. I don't see the need to replace the plug wires on tune up. Use the good oil for older high mileage vehicle, like Valvoline Maxlife. Other things that needed to repair on mine: 1. Passenger door latch - bent, caused difficulty in opening the door. 2. Power window main switch - rear passenger window will not work from the driver controller. 3. Radio light off - didn't fix yet. 4. Vanity mirror light and cover off the sunshade broken - didn't fix yet. 5. Cracked top dashboard - GM used a very low quality plastic in my opinion, all the interior plastics are suspect and especially the top dash cover. 6. Headlights sometimes dimmed - didn't fix yet and not really sure why. 7. Drive shaft u joint broke - this got me and the family stranded in the middle of the freeway and required towing, and the repair and replacement cost for the damage to drive shaft and transmission yoke was a little over $900.00 almost half the value of the truck. I should just left this beast on the 15 Freeway, but i just loved it too much. The way you sit high and have good visibility at all angle it's just priceless! It's also good for towing, even just towing the uhaul trailer. This truck inside creaks and groan as you drive through rough surface and the dash completely rattling during driving through an unimproved road, but still I loved it.

Great SUV

jeffersons, 02/25/2012

I've owned a 94, 98, and 99 Tahoe, all of which have been exceptional vehicles. My 99 currently has 174k, looks great, sounds great, and has been very reliable. It might be slightly more expensive on gas than most vehicles, but the cheap maintenance more than makes up for it. At 140k I replaced the mechanism that opens the driver-side door. It was an easy fix and I was able to do it on my own in about 20 minutes. At 150k I had to replace the fuel pump. From what I understand this is a fairly common fix. Be sure to replace it with a GM factory fuel pump. 174k and only $800 spent on nonroutine maintenance! Looking forward to many years on the road!

Prime Example Of American Trucks!

heavychevy99, 08/11/2011

This is my 2nd go round with a tahoe. My first was a 97 and was an excellent rig! My current tahoe is a 99 and basicly reflects the 97 i had but has a few more cool options, Heated seats, Rear AC for the kiddos, This rig is hard to beat for the money spent. I paid $3800 for this 99 and it has 170K on it and still going strong. The Engine performs excellent, has great power and tows my 7000lb boat all the time. I read a few reviews of people bashing the transmissions in these tahoes but if you take care if it it will return the favor ( I.E. DO NOT TOW HEAVY LOADS IN OVER DRIVE! ) and treat it to a nice trans cooler and it will last forever. All in all this is an excellent SUV for the money!

Slippage! But no clunk

TahoeTeen, 01/31/2002

My parents bought this Tahoe brand new and we havent had any problems..but about 2 months ago when we took a sharp turn the wheel would slip...felt like it just quit turning then it would come back...but that is our only..problem in fact in Febuary or so we are gettin another Tahoe or suburban...great vehicle to learn in...

They don't make them like they use to!

BigRed1, 05/03/2005

I have a 99 Tahoe Z71 powered by a LT1/340hp V8 (Yes, its original). Rear axle seals have always been a problem. Finally had to replace the axles. Brakes a huge problem; finally replaced with "greenstuff brakes", the jury is still out on that verdict. Transmission and engine still real strong after 121k miles. It's all the small stuff; power steering pump, alternator, fuel pump. However, try to tow 8000 pounds with your Toyota over the PA mountains! Gas mileage is 14/17. I can only use super unleaded fuel. I had to replace the entire exhaust system because both cats went out at 90k miles. Absolutely crazy; cats usually outlast the vehicle.

Tahoe

dina, 09/02/2007

This is the perfect vehicle for a soccer mom and her 3 soccer stars. We had a bad snow storm last winter close to 5 ft. all the other fancy suvs (a volvo, land cruser and mercedes) were stuck in the banks in the side of the rode as I plowed through 1+ ft. drifts coming back from a birthday party.

Great Vehicle!

Doc Watson, 05/30/2003

My first 4WD...Had 95,000 when I bought it but it had been taken cate of very well. No problems at all other than regular maintenance. Could benefit from larger brakes. Get a K&N air filter! No "Clunking" noise here! SNOW! I'm not scared of any stinking SNOW!

Crunch

Synkronized, 05/28/2003

I gotta tell you all, I have been rear ended twice and both vehicles have just crumpled under the might of the tahoe. Not even a scratch or dent left on it. There is enough power to crawl over cars and make your own road. Install a grill guard and strike fear into all that drive slow in the fast lane. If thats not enough, install fog lamps. Once I ran over a civic and thought it was a pop can.

99 Tahoe

BNic61, 05/13/2002

very good vehicle for family use...spacious..comfortable...good front and rear air.......strong motor..good style

Brakes Suck

WW, 05/22/2002

Great drive train but the brakes suck. Entirely too small for the vehicle. 65000 on the vehicle and I am ready to install the 4th set of rotors and pads. Dealerships don the halo and claim no defect in the vehicle. Talk to ex Chevy dealership personnel and you get a different story,the brakes suck because they're too small for the truck.

Great Vehicle

Happy, 01/19/2008

This vehicle has been good for everything. Very comfortable on long trips. Never had any major mechanical problems. Hauls large equipment weights. Plenty of space. I think it is great

Not a bad vehicle so far

devman, 07/08/2010

This truck has been in the family since new, my mom owned it until last year when I took it over. It has approximately 97k on it and we have never had any major issues. The heated seats have burnt out, and the seats themselves only recline to one position, fortunately that position works for me. The inside is comfortable, I am 6'4" so the headroom is a big plus for me. It has a terrible meandering problem, which I now understand to be a weak point in the idler/pitman/ball joints. I am considering upgrading to some performance parts after I take care of the steering, and doing a much needed change of shocks.

What is wrong with these brakes?

amdla, 08/13/2003

We love this car for comfort, but we are changing brakes every 20,000 miles. We were told by a GMC salesman that there was a glitch in the design which was corrected on later models, but cannot get this confirmed by GM mechanics.

Owner

scheller, 04/15/2003

Great (small) turning radius. Good power. We leased the car for 4 years which is coming to expiration next month. Now we wished we had purchased it in the first place. This is only the second vehicle which I've owned in the past 35 years which I truly enjoy. We never plan on selling it. The other vehicle was a 1974 Camaro. Terrific hauling capacity.

Job Well Done

jdsax85, 06/15/2007

In the past year, I have commuted 100 miles a day to school, 5,000 miles in three months of training, and have turned my Tahoe into my rolling office. Ride quality on the highway is superb, an estimated gas mileage of 18 mpg. If head gaskets, air conditioning sensors, and factory CD player haven't been replaced yet, expect to do so. The seats are incredibly comfortable and there is was enough room for four adult males and their gear during our three months of training. Several people have commented on the ride quality and feel it is better than their Z71 pick-ups or even 2004 F-150 with the suspension outside the frame. Well-built vehicle and would highly reccomend.

Rock Solid - like the ads

Redhead, 05/15/2003

My Tahoe has performed admirably. Delivered with one defect - passenger seat lumbar didn't work - it stands as the most solid new car I have ever purchased. Oddly enough, it replaced a Lexus LS400 that was never right! This machine can take a beating, haul anything and never fails to perform. 2 months sitting while I travel and starts on the first turn of the key.

Great Truck

James Bond, 12/19/2002

My Tahoe has a Monroe Sport Truck conversion package on it and I love it. The truck would be nice even if it didn't have the conversion package.

Tahoe LS

kaskillah, 05/29/2003

Good vehicle overall. Can take severe abuse and still hold up.

Tahoe is the alpha dog of SUVs

Bob, 05/23/2008

I have to say my Tahoe LT (fully loaded) has been a great, great, vehicle. Drivetrain and 5.7 Vortec engine delivers. Plenty of room for people and my Siberian Husky in the back too (who loves the rear A/C) Aggressive BF Goodrich All Terrain T/As (functionally large but not monster truck silly) make Tahoe the big dog in the yard. A balanced truck with Bilstein gas charged shocks that rides like a dream on or off the road. Love the 4WD, towing capabilities, and the heated leather seats. I may not get the best gas mileage at $4.35/gal for Premium, but the power is there when I need it, and will safely win the physics game in the unfortunate event there is a collision.

Good Hauler But Had to Go

rangermutt, 08/04/2011

I purchased my '99 Tahoe 4x4 LT used in 2001 with 64,000 miles for less than 1/2 what it sold new. I traded it in this summer with 154,000 after I got tired of replacing parts for the second or third time including: Anti lock brakes went out at 60,000; driver window motor 3x; driver outside door handle 3x; blower fan; intake manifold gasket; air conditioner pump; power steering sensor 2x; radiator; water pump; vanity mirror; console latch; distributor rotor 6x (I was stranded on the interstate last Thanksgiving when the rotor failed again). The straw that broke the camel's back was a misfire on the #4 cylinder that neither I nor the dealer could remedy.

99 tahoe

Smallie6, 08/30/2009

Bought truck last summer. Has 92K miles. I needed a good tow vehicle for hauling my boat to the lake. It is very good at hauling the boat. That is the good news. The bad news in the last three months It needed a new transmission, water pump, and intake gaskets. I am afraid to drive it because I cant afford any more repairs. Very high cost of ownership.

Lemon in the making!

JFPToyota, 01/26/2003

My problems since I acquired my vehicle less than 2 months ago. Engine stalls and power failure in the middle of an intersection. Learned that battery post busted and battery acid leaked every where. Dealership paid for this one. While Service was fixing battery, Service notice that the Intake Manifold was leaking. Took 3 days before they could even start on it. Warranty Repair Status was screwed up and STILL IS. Waterpump leaking at weep hole. 30 days in the shop is all I need for Lemon Law .. Im a 1/3 of the way there.. . I just noticed today that the rear passenger windows go only a 1/3 of the way down... Can you say Lemon?

No Probs So Far...knock on wood.

CrowneRoyal, 11/29/2004

I have only had my Tahoe for 8 weeks, but I must say that it is a better vehicle so far than any of my past cars. I love the way that the TV folds down at the punch of a button, therefore the kids can watch TV or play a game without my having to pull over to turn it on. The gas mileage had a lot to improve on, however, I was told that 12-15 mpg was normal for a truck of this size. I look forward to having my truck for many years to come.

Chevy on top

tmacmvp1, 04/25/2008

I bought my Tahoe about 3 years ago in a as-is condition. It had 80k miles on it at the time. It now has 130k miles. I'm telling you, when I'm driving this truck I feel like the king of the road. Its 5.7 engine chugs the gas but trully delivers when need to. Only problem I had was a bad fuel pump. It had problems turning on when the motor was cold. little by little it got worst until finally I replaced it. cost me $255 with labor (got a deal). Other than that it is comfortable and very roomy! I'm 19 so that actually comes really in handy on the weekends lol. Just being a teenager sorry for the comment. Very good design and reliable at the same time.

Satisfied after reading your problems

satisfied, 10/13/2008

I bought mine used to tow a loaded car hauler all over the country. I have driven it places I won`t take my big 4x4. It now has 240000 miles and still going. Regular maintenance on schedule. Never had any major problems untill this year. Radiator, water pump ,and fan all decided to commit suicide within a two month period. The mechanic that replaced everything was amazed at the condition under the circumstance of the heavy duty usuage. Everything was factory except alt., batt., brakes,the usual maintenance parts. One rear axle is going bad and I will be replacing it this week. I have driven this through creeks with water up to the doors and up and down mountains fully loaded. I won`t have anything else.

Love My Tahoe

Teen Driver, 05/07/2002

My parents bought this car for me at christmas time. It has 90 thousand miles on it and still runs great. I am 16 years old and love being able to drive it when ever I want. The only problem that I have had with it is the transfer case began to leak so I had to get it sealed. The gas milage is not great, but once you get used to filling up every few days, its ok.

Clunk again

kramer-again, 05/15/2002

I'm having the cluck problem again (at 51000 miles)after having a new transmission put in last time among other things (see my previous review). It was corrected for a while. I'm convinced there is a design flaw which cannot be fixed with parts. I'll be getting rid of this thing as soon as the dealership temporarily fixes it again.

Good LUCK slowing this rig down!

5700Power, 03/06/2009

Wow, Outside of routine maintenance and a fuel pump, I have NEVER been stranded and have never had an ounce of trouble. Tows with authority, Cruises the highway with ease and is more comfortable than just about anything out there! Electronics are top notch, Mileage is FAR better than I expected... 21 on a long highway trip. 15 pulling a 5,000 lb boat. (NOTE Only gets 6-7 in town) Ten years old and showing no signs of slowing at 140,000 miles. This truck has a place in my garage forever. Leather shows no wear, no rust (even under the doors) just a bullet proof monster that does ANYTHING you ask. Bought it at 40k and now has 140... I bet i can get 350,000+

It won't die

Marine Vet, 03/28/2009

Purchased in 2003 used with 38,000 miles and just turned 147,000. This vehicle makes several trips per year to various location of 1000 to 2000 miles in distance. It is like driving in your favorite lounge chair sitting in your living room. Even at 147,000, with regular care it still averages 18- 19 mpg on trips. Replaced fuel pump, alternator and had Major tune up at 95,000 and rebuilt rear end and axles due to bearing wear. After looking at new and "slightly?" used replacements, I will drive this one till it won't move any more. (300,000 maybe?)

best thing ever

best thing ever, 05/18/2009

have my truck now for 2 years put over 30,000miles on it with no issue. pulled a 7x16 trailer from ny to fl with 4 sports bike like nothing. truck now has 129000 miles on her and i think i can get 300000 out of her ...best truck ever

still great

chesterhd, 06/05/2002

I love this ride. I have 117000 on it and only have had to deal with the dreaded clunk when starting from a complete stop. I had it checked by my local mechanic. He DID find a front universal joint going out, but everything else looked fine. It pulls trailers effortlessly and is comfortable enough to take a nap in on long trips where you need to stop for a quick nap. Bought car when it had 75000 on it. It was a lease up in Michigan. Some rust on bumpers and interior seat bolts, but nothing major. What ever happened to the standard undercoating all cars use to get. I guess that stopped in the 70's. LOL

1999 Tahoe LS 4WD Gladiator Conversion

Adam, 06/29/2009

Replaced intake manifold gasket, $250.00. Other than that excellent vehicle, 18 mpg highway cruise at 65, in town well it's a V8. Superb ride comfort, turning radius is incredible for a big truck. Interior noise or lack of is excellent at 70mph plus. Wife loves driving it, big and safe, engine runs excellent. I bought it with 55K on it figuring it would be done at 100K, I have no doubt it will go to 150K and beyond. Parts everywhere for these and their isn't a mechanic who can't work on them if needed. Just a great roomy vehicle, that makes an American proud to pull up to the pump.

Cash for clunkers??? NO WAY

BowtiesRule!, 08/04/2009

Best truck ever. My parents bought it in 01' used with 62k on her. We replaced the fuel pump, all u-joints, and little stuff. After that, she has been running great. Now I just bought her from my parents for 3k and man, what a steal. This truck is still mint condition/unmolested/virgin/etc. I will never add anything to it. Stock radio still works great, speakers are great. This truck is just flat out amazing. Now, I just replaced the front u-joints and the rear upper ball joint, but didn't bother me. Truck has 190k on her and still has a lot of life in it. I love the 350 5.7l vortec. One of the best engines gm ever made. Strong and powerful!

Best Buy Ever!

boxkicker0586, 08/11/2009

My Tahoe Has about 380,000 miles on it. The engine is still original and transmission has been replaced before I got it. It now has a Jasper transmission in it. I love everything about this truck. It runs so well and drives awesome. I really don't ever plan on getting rid of it. All I know is chevy built an amazing truck and there is not one flaw. Just keep up with all your maintenance and these trucks will last a very long time. I love my tahoe!

LEMON !!

BigCharlie54, 08/15/2009

I bought this vehicle from my brother- in-law in June of 2008. Given it had 200,000 miles on it. It was driven easily and well maintenanced. (most of miles being highway miles) Anyway, within the time period we've put app. 5000 miles on it. In November it through a rod and the engine was shot. We bought a new Engine out of NAPA for about 2,200. A GM dealership installed the engine. After that we've went through two intake gaskets, and Now it blew a head gasket!! I bought it for $6000 and have put almost $5000 into it! What a disgrace to a great American Auto Company !!

It gets you where ever you have to +....

Kmkspfg, 01/21/2010

This winters has been amazing hitting 6 foot drifts in roads and still going . well besides a broken grill and a after break down of distributor cap and rotor. it was fine. now the check engine light is back on but running fine but i cant afford to keep repairing.. tempted to trade for a f-150 or a dodge magnum awd. and thats bad because im a chevy guy. its a wonderful truck other words besides a few problems.. gets around way better than jeeps and what not....

Couldnt Get BETTER!

SkiGuy1982, 02/18/2010

Traded a 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition for this 99 Tahoe. WOW! Had 28k on it when I got it, and now has 145k. In that time, Tires (once) Front Pads (Once) Intake Gaskets (at 100k, Anyone surprised) battery (this winter) and that's it. I run it hard - Heavy trailers, High speed long distance cruises (80+) and its never been a problem. Just replaced a headlamp. I have NO complaints at all. She just runs. The mileage has been incredible to almost unbelievable. 20mpg cruising at 75. It really sucks it up in town at 7mpg though... Locking Differential and manual transfer case are really nice.

Unstopable. Period.

Rjh6000, 07/01/2010

I love how from the back of the front seats to the front bumper, every single part of this rig is a SILVERADO. This thing is tough as nails, having towed trailers over 10,000 lbs more times than i can count, countless trips across the country at 85+mph speeds... I have replaced a battery, tires and brake pads. Gets between 17 and 21 MPG depending on drive. (gets 5 in town though) at 187,000 miles, can still do a wicked burnout! Its a loaded LT with the locking differential and manual transfer case. I have driven through snow past the front bumper and it just keeps going. (Michelin LTX MS's help) and its still smooth and quiet. Everything works. Like a Rock.

The dreaded Clunk

FLTAHOE, 07/08/2002

I recently sold my 99 tahoe, I had the exact clunk that many have written about. The dealer greased, replaced u- joints and replaced the yoke. This made the clunk go away for about 3000 miles, after that it came back again. I was told that there was nothing more that Chevrolet was willing to do...Guess I may go and buy an Expedition.

One of the best trucks around

Sean T, 08/09/2002

This is not a small SUV. If you have big jobs or just have to have some room, it fits the bill. You can slide a full sheet of plywood in the back without having to tilt or cut to fit.I Love this truck

cluck=transmission

JACOBS, 09/27/2002

I 1st noticed a clunk around 39000, right after my warrenty expired. I got the transmission serviced as required. It came back. Loud this time. I replaced the U-joints. The clunk came back, along with check engine light. Took it in to the dealer, they fixed nothing. 2 miles and $250 later the clunk was back. I had under 60000 when I had the transmission replaced. I spoke with chevy directly on this matter, the number in the Warrenty book, They saw my point. They had me bring in my records as far as maintance, which I kept, b/c I'm anal, and covered the cost of parts($1000) Over all the quality of this vehicle has been suspect.

Road trip!

Rroo, 11/04/2002

The Tahoe has been reliable in every sense. It's great on the highway, and will go anywhere you point it.

Used 99 Tahoe 4WD LT

afdsjr, 02/20/2002

I purchased the vehicle used with 38,000 miles. I have taken the Tahoe on a couple of trips and have enjoyed having the V8 and the space. I had the dealership perform the 45,000 mile service on the car. I have noticed only one thing out of the ordinary with my Tahoe. The lights both interior and exterior flicker with the car running. I am not sure what the problem is ,because I have a new battery. Any ideas?

Great truck, needs brakes

, 10/14/2002

I must admit, I haven't owned it long, but a very good vehicle, EXCEPT for the brakes. Between the increased pedal travel 'till somewhat firm and a mushy pedal beyond that, creates continual uncertainty of having enough room in front of you to stop. Probably because of the 4whl ABS. The dealer checked them out and more than one person at the dealership said "that's the way they are, you have to get used to them". Otherwise it has a drive train which (so far) has been dependable and gets very good gas mileage for its size (16-18 hiway).

Bailey, 10/04/2002

SO far... this is our dream vehicle! The best feature is the handling ability of the vehicle! In addition, the shift to 4 wheel drive on the fly already saved us on slick ground (rain)!

1999 Tahoe LT

Ancelet, 04/26/2002

This vehicle has met all of our expectations. It is safe and reliable. We would recommend this vehicle to anyone in the market for a large SUV.

The Best

George III, 12/23/2002

Has been a perfect vehicle for me on road, off road, in town or cross country. Mountain snow, desert heat, it doesn't matter.

I do not like this truck

dorothy, 01/07/2003

I will never buy anything from GM again. My Tahoe only has 50,000 miles on it and it has needed an excessive amount or expensive repairs. When I tried to call GM to tell them about my complaints I realized they have discontinued their customer service number. That says it all!

Not a bad Big Truck

BIGRIDER, 02/05/2003

I am nearing the end of the lease on my 1999 Tahoe. Overall, it has been a very good experience. My payments were quite reasonable due to the high residual value. I did not have any big problems until 4.5 years into the lease. I had to spend $600 to repair a problem with the steering component and with my front hub assembly. Since these were safety items, I had to fork over the dough! My transfer case is leaking, and I may need new brakes, but I refuse to fix all of that with less than 4 months remaining. I think it is a good buy for the amount of vehicle you get.

51050