Used 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

20 years of excellence
By LindaC

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 1997 Tahoe LT 20 years ago because it was the last year a new 4WD 2-door SUV model was available across all manufacturers. It has been a wonderful family truck - pulled boats and trailers with quads up mountains and across sand dunes, yet always got an appreciative look at events when I pulled in with that classy shiny black big guy. Never had one maintenance issue other than normal maintenance at Wesloh Chevrolet, Carlsbad, CA. Would have kept it forever if I hadn't totaled it in a recent accident. I always felt safe in my Tahoe and it came through in the end as I walked away uninjured. Wish Chevy would bring back the 2-DR model!

My Taco(Tahoe)
By Bev

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I brought this sub used. Since I've had it,I thought it was going to be to big for me to drive. But once I got use to it. That's all that it took. My 1997 Tahoe,as my husband call it the Taco. Been the best suv we have had. Ran great, plenty of room, road comfortably. I would reckamen this suv to every one.

So in love!
By elcamino_girl

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

I couldn't be more THRILLED that this is my first vehicle! I was going to trade it for a small car, until I got it on the road. Had to fix the rear brake lines to get it road worthy. currently need to fix one stabilizer bar, front brakes could go any day, part of the front drivers side frame is rotted pretty bad, the vehicle clicks funny when reversing and there's a leak in the gas tank near the top. She had about 427k when I got her. after putting on almost 1000k a month since Oct, I'm STILL in love. I will be sad when she has nothing left to give, hopefully that won't be for a long time yet

Styling because she looks intimidating when coming up behind someone(had 2 people tell me that already), so I can't wait to fix her up, maybe add some push bars. Excited to have a work horse to play with! She handles well in snow and rain(after our worst winter in several years) I feel VERY safe in her and love sitting above most other vehicles.

MY 97 TAHOE LT
By gene105

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe 2dr SUV 4WD

Had to replace engine around 85,000 miles, then around 130,000 miles had to replace head and vortec gaskets. Also had to replace radiator, shop busted old one when they replaced the gaskets. Still on original tires.
Seats are fully adjustable,power windows, rear hatch style doors w/washer n blade, cruse control low mileage on mine due to the fact I drive a 18 wheeler. Started using Lucus ethanol treatment. Mileage has really gone up. Now averaging between 16 and 17 MPG. Rated around 10 MPG for the type of driving I do in it.

Love this car
By garihee

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Incorrectly reviewed as a 2 door a few years ago.

202,000. 4th transmission has outlasted previous 3. 350 running strong and smooth with K&N factory air replacement and routine oil changes. Recent road trip showed 18 mpg, and that with junk tires and a loose front end. I'm patiently waiting for original exhaust system to give me an excuse to upgrade.

One through rust spot, rear wheel well. Time for fresh paint and interior, as leather has worn due to heavy use.

Handles great after front end rebuild. Passengers "brake" and then joke about Tokyo drift on the on ramps, but she just sits down and goes through 'em.