Used 1999 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Best SUV I ever owned
By John Brennan

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

It's very reliable and fun to drive. I would recommend it to anyone that wants a used reliable SUV. My kids love it

Love my suburban
By Nisalv

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

I love my suburban. I've had it just over a year now and it has been a great car. When i bought it, it had 103,000 miles, and one previous owner, who was a mechanic. It was maintained very well. I have had to do a little work on it however. At 112,000 miles the fuel pump went out, I've recharged the ac, I've done a break job, and also had to replace a few radiator hose joints that just wore out. The vehicle has always been in the southwest. First Nevada, then Arizona, so the plastic joints just became brittle over time. Overall not bad in my book for a 16 year old vehicle. I've taken it through some pretty intense off road trips and even without 4 wheel drive it's done amazing. I would highly recommend this suv to anyone who has kids or needs lots of cargo space.

Most durable vehicle ever ... Over 300000 miles
By Jim Davis

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle in 2001 and have put over 300,000 miles. I've been from the mountains & snow to the N.C. Outer banks & on the beach .... Camping, retreats, hauling church youth, hauling building materials, cross country family trips .... The ride is still great! Best vehicle I've ever owned! I plan on restoring it and going for another 300k!

With Chevy you never know what you're gonna get
By Steph

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I know some people luck out and get the kind of Suburban that "runs forever!!" but I will never buy a Chevy again. The amount of space inside is nice and cargo space is great, but that's about it. The interior components are all snapping apart (plastic), and though the seats have all sorts of adjustments, I cannot get a comfortable fit for me (I've never had a problem in any other vehicle). It is also a gas hog... at best we've gotten 13.5 mpg highway (it's rated at 12/16). I was expecting a bit of a hog, but hoping closer to 15 or so. I also find it VERY difficult to see out the back with the barn door style--the doorway edges block the view from your rear view mirror. In addition, the rear seat isn't as wide as the middle and I struggled to fit 3 booster seats back there. I expected more from such a huge car--my little tiny minivan has the same width in the 3rd row.
Now, for the mechanical part--at 90K miles, it needed a new engine, at 110K it needed a new transmission, at 135K it needed a new transfer case (this one is because over time, the oil pump inside the transfer case drills a hole in it... just great). I've put a ton of money into it and can't get anywhere near that back for it. I wish I would've just gotten the Honda Odyssey for my family hauler. This thing has been a money pit.

"Timex" keeps on ticking
By C. R. Hiebert

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

Great family vehicle. Bought used with less than 100,000 miles when the kids were home, kids are all grown and the odometer is at 298,000.
Have hauled children and their gear all over, survived County Fairs and innumerable 4-H animal projects. Pulled the Horse trailer up to the State Fair
through City traffic, loaded with camping gear for the week, she made it just fine. A car ran into her side, spun her around, totaled the car, bent the Suburban's rear-axel, passengers shook-up but a-OK, she drove home & got repaired. Three deer have bounced off the grill guard in the front and the only damage is a dent in the corner of the hood. She has driven me back and forth through roads and weather that has been just plain nasty, definitely dependable and reliable. Chevy dealer in town is fantastic about keeping her serviced and running. Well worth the money.