Used 2015 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Consumer Reviews

Diesel 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Automatic - (7 reviews )

Mileage, Mileage, Mileage
By Carl S

2015 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Diesel 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I'm a pickup guy. But my 04 Silverado with the 8.1L engine costs a fortune to commute with 45 miles per day, 5 days per week. The last car I bought was a 1986 Cutlass in 1987. I've owned nothing but trucks since. My wife has owned a few compact cars, mostly Subarus. Never was a fan but she liked them. Last year she bought a used 2014 Impala. While shopping for that car we drove a new Cruze with the gas engine. I was somewhat impressed with the car then. Fast forward to present day... My commute is about 45 miles round-trip. I can't ride my motorcycle all winter so I was looking for a fuel efficient compact car. Flash back to the Cruze...but I wanted a diesel. The diesel was only available as a 2014 or 2015 in the US. They're also hard to find. I did locate one at a dealer about 250 miles away. We agreed on a price and the dealer delivered it. Very nice car, fully loaded, and much nicer in the diesel trim than the LS we drove last year. I took it for a quick test drive and instantly liked the car. As a matter of fact, my wife LOVED it. So much so that she made me locate one for her...more on that in a moment. The fit and finish on the car is top notch. Visibility is very good and the car has a "big car" feel to it. The leather seats are comfortable and supportive. The MyLink infotainment system seems complicated but turns out it's pretty intuitive once you start exploring it. The diesel engine is quiet. Almost can't hear it from inside the car. The turbo allows it to accelerate quickly enough for just about any situation. We put about 120 miles on it the next day in a mixture of city and highway driving. The fuel gauge needle barely moved off of the "F" mark. Great little car to run around in. Back to finding a car for my wife. A dealer in Missoula, MT still had a 2014 I had considered...at a reduced price! We drove over and traded the Impala for the 2014 Cruze turbo diesel. The drive home was about 220 miles of mostly mountain driving...including Lolo Pass. I was in a bit of a hurry to get home so pretty much kept my foot into the accelerator. The diesel never hesitated, had ample power for passing in short passing zones and averaged 52MPG for the trip! After dark I rounded a corner on the wet Hwy 12 surface only to have the headlights illuminate a group of raccoons gather right in my lane. An emergency application of the brakes resulted in a quick, straight and safe stop from about 62MPH. No raccoons were harmed in the making of the stop! It was about a 4 hour drive and the car was luxury-car quiet and comfortable. You'd never know you're driving a diesel...until you looked at the fuel gauge. With almost 16 gallons of fuel you'll have somewhere between 700 and 800 miles of highway cruze-ing before your next fuel stop. Simply incredible. We're both very happy with our used Cruze turbo diesels.

**UPDATE:** After owning and driving the Cruze TD for about 8 months/4000 miles my opinion of the car has only improved. Absolutely no maintenance issues required for either the 2014 or 2015. Still haven't had to top off the DEF in either car. Had a few issues in snow on the 15 but that's an issue with the original tires...not the car. Starts easily in cold weather. An absolute miser with fuel. We are both very happy with the Cruze TD and we're even considering looking at one of the new 2017 models as soon as they're released.

2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel
By Family of 4

2015 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Diesel 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

We bought this car after owning a VW Passat TDI witch we really liked and averaged around 42 mpg Hwy. After test driving the 2015 Chevy Cruze diesel we knew this was the car for us, it had tons of low rpm torque for passing with ease, no smoke or diesel smell, very quiet inside and very comfortable. Recently we moved from Georgia to North Dakota over 1600 miles and this car averaged 59.9 mpg driving between 70 & 75 mph. I just bought a 2016 Chevy Colorado diesel 4x4 pickup and getting around 28.6 mpg city driving in Bismarck. . I just which Americans would give the new clean diesel cars a chance because they are great.

2015 Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel
By Russell Logan

2015 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Diesel 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased my Cruze Turbo Diesel after owning a VW Beetle TDI for a year. I've been a diesel fan since the 80's.
This is absolutely the best every-day car I have ever owned. I does a great and very comfortable job of the every day commute, but then with all the comfort and convenience items (my car has all the bells and whistles) longer trips are very enjoyable. Also, the trunk and cargo versatility makes long shopping trips a breeze.

I live in Montana, and can say the extra weight up front with the Diesel engine makes this a gem to drive in ice and snow, even with the factory tires. And fuel mileage - don't even look at the EPA sticker. I average 33 MPG in town and 47 on the highway. A recent round trip shopping run to Missoula (150 miles approx) I averaged 52 MPG (without the AC on).

I would heartily recommend this car to anyone looking for quality, comfort and nice all around performance.

MyCruze
By Yogi

2015 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Diesel 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Best small car, good gas milage

Beats the VW Jetta diesel with ease.
By Alan Curtis Wilson.

2015 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Diesel 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Look around for a good deal on this car. We did and purchased it well under sticker. We also bought several aftermarket options including a second set of wheels and tires for our Minnesota winters. The diesel engine and low rolling resistance tires help the car get great mileage in the summer with our best being 60 mpg on a 500 mile trip. Around the city we get 33 to 42 mpg. Worst mileage it has returned in stop and go city driving is the EPA rated city 27 mpg. That makes this car's MPG better than any other I have bought since EPA started giving out MPG ratings. Frankly I didn't expect that with my heavy foot driving but this car has the power and does not guzzle fuel if you drive it hard. The handling is much better than I expected. The brakes are really great, so good I have trouble keeping from getting too much braking when I drive this as compared to my diesel truck or the old every day car, a Hyundai Elantra. The comparison between the two compact cars leaves the Elantra with one star and the Cruze 5 star. I am a big and tall man and I am comortable driving the car and the Big, big plus is I am comfortable on the passenger side. No other vehicle in the last 25 years have I been comfortable in the front passenger seat including my my diesel pickup.
I really like the Pioneer sound system plus the in dash electronics and the way they work with my tablet and phone. Reliable seamless and easy to setup. The light colored leather interior is wonderful to ride in and helps the car be cooler to get in and drive in the summer. I have carried 10 foot long lengths of pipe, metals, and other items which fit from the trunk to the front of the car. Big surprise to me! Plus I can load all my camera and lens cases into the car with room for 2 passengers.
The car is fun to drive, my wife loves it and actually likes the electronics especially the LCD between the speedo and tach that helps her and I monitor our mileage. Oh, one more thing, the diesel means that driving harder for more acceleration does not equal lower the fuel mileage greatly. I love the power of driving turbo diesel in all of them I have driven. I wish to see one in a mid or large SUV.