Used 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Cruze

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

1 year, 14k mile review
By 60rockstar

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Routine maintenance only; zero problems. I purchased an LTZ RS for my son to take to college. On his trips home he is averaging 33 m.p.g. (80% highway, 20% city).

The Cruze is feels very solid, like a much bigger car, handles well, and is quiet. I drove it on a two day trip, which included 12 hours through a snowstorm (almost blizzard) across Pa and NY
the day after Christmas and it did great in the snow (on factory tires). The car was comfortable for that long of a drive, as much as anything else I have driven.

I think GM did a great job with the fit, finish, and styling. My son drove a Cobalt while in high school - the Cruze is nothing like it.

- seat heaters :) - remote start - Sirius XM radio - OnStar emails me the diagnostics so I can monitor the vehicle from 400 miles away - RS package styling with 18" wheels

-storage is rather sparse. I got the upgraded stereo which places a subwoofer in the dash so I lost that extra compartment. Why no overhead console? Sunglasses storage? Garage door opener? A more powerful engine option. How about the 220 h.p. turbo four cylinder from the Buick Regal CLX? Or at least a factory performance upgrade kit. A higher h.p., 6 speed manual, AWD, hatchback Cruze LTZ RS. Please :)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LS 1.8 6 Speen Manual
By luvmy2012cruze

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Excellent car! This car trumps the competition. I have read the reviews on this car and see a lot of complaints about it, none of which I have encountered. I just rolled over 15k in it and have not had a problem. Many of the reviews I say complain about the turbo in the 1.8 LS......if they read about the car they would know that the 1.8 LS does NOT come with a turbo. Gas mileage complaints.....depends on how you drive I average 34.6 mpg and I am not easy on the car. I drive this car extremely hard and fast, average 75-80mph on the highway, but still get 430 miles to the tank. Not as powerful as the 1Lt and up models, since it does not have a turbo, but I am very very happy with it.

Bluetooth, XM, Onstar, all great features, handles like a dream! Excellent and sporty design inside and out.

Make seats more comfortable, that is my only complaint.

2012 cruze - a great value-
By mnharris

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

So far so good with my 2012 Cruze. Great car on the highway, this is a huge reason why I bought it over the competition. The Cruze feels like a Lexus compared to some others (especially the Hyundai Elantra) very quiet and smooth. So far I average 33 mpg with a 50/50 mix of highway and in town driving. Nothing has broke yet (32,000k) and it feels solid and well built.

Looks- Fuel economy- Ride/quiet

more passing power- better factory speakers

Lots of Problems
By bdawg1210

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My Chevy Cruze currently has 42,00 miles on it and it had been a painful 42,000 miles.
I have to take my car in almost monthly to get serviced.
Some of the problems I have encountered is the fan not working for the a/c and heating unit, water pump broken causing my car to leak anti-freeae making my car over heat, weird noise coming from front left tire that all the mechanics say is weird because they hear it but cant find the problem, the list goes on.
I would not recommend buying any year, make, or model of the Chevy Cruze.
I bought the car because I wanted to support a U.S. automaker because all the other cars I have previously purchased were foreign, but I will never buy a chevy agai

The stereo is fun to listen to

Make the car more reliable. Don't cut corners to make the car cheaper because the money the customer saves will be spent at the service shop.

Good Value / Decent Mileage
By csb4

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My '12 Cruze LS gets mileage as advertised. Mileage depends *heavily* on driving style. This weekend I drove the family to Disney and got 40 mpg round trip (EPA = 38 mpg highway). Driving more aggressively, I'd get 34-36 mpg highway. Like any car, numerous factors are at play: More passengers / more gas in tank = lower mpg. Lower temperatures = lower mpg. Air conditioner = lower mpg. More uphill than downhill = lower mpg (I therefore rely more on round trip values). I have even noticed mpg variations depending on the quality of the road. Some of the comments I've read probably don't account for these variables, and the many others, that do affect mpg.

Unlike previous generations of cars from GM, the latest vehicles I've purchased from GM have had massively improved interiors. The interior "fit and finish" is exemplary.

I can't stand the key fob (not tactile / hard to manipulate the buttons in the dark). The Cruze drifts way too much on the highway ... sometimes I feel like I'm captaining a sailboat. Gas pedal and brake are too close together. I'm guessing some of these issues are a natural byproduct of the car size/type ... but I'm not totally convinced of that.