Used 2018 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Colorado for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Overall satisfied

Mike, 03/29/2018
ZR2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I bought the 2018 WT ext cab, 3.6L, 8 speed automatic after owning a Tacoma 4 cyl automatic for 16 years. Overall, I like the Colorado. Controls are intuitive, power is much greater than my Tacoma 2.4L provided, and the truck feels much more substantial and heavier duty than the Tacoma. The Colorado gives a reasonably comfortable ride and the seats are fairly comfortable, if not a tad hard. The automatic can also be shifted as a manual transmission if desired. The standard 4 way power driver's seat is a nice feature. The info system, the first I have had, is very intuitive and simple to use. I like the individual tire pressure readouts, which I checked for accuracy and found dead on. There are some downsides to the truck. The air dam at the bottom of the front bumper is way too low for a truck and is easy to scrape on parking lot curbing, and certainly limits any kind of off-road use. Sometimes engineering designs to provide an insignificant improvement in gas mileage ignores every day usage considerations. In warmer weather I will check to see if I can remove the air dam. Speaking of mileage, around town I am only getting 11+ mpg. I realize the truck is new (only 220 miles on it) and mpg has been hampered due to some winter idling time when window defrosting has been necessary, but still, not encouraging. The outside mirrors are not power, and also lack any inside adjustment lever, like my Tacoma had. This is a pain if my wife drives the truck because she will have to get out of the truck to adjust the passenger mirror. Finally, the Colorado has a high step up, especially for a 2x2. My short wife has a problem getting in and we both end up sliding out of the truck to exit. This is irksome considering the very low ground clearance of the truck, which is listed at 8.3" (lowest of the trucks) and I highly doubt that the front air dam is actually that high, at least not with the standard 16" tires. I am not sure why both the front air dam and also the shock absorbors are so low to the ground. The bed and its sides are somewhat high causing me a problem reaching some things lying on the bed of the truck. Reliability at this point is, of course, a question mark, but initial quality has been faultless; no drive train issues and I checked all equipment and gauges and all work as they should. Hopefully this is a good sign. Time will tell. Overall, getting in an out for my wife is a pain, but once in the truck, it is comfortable and enjoyable to drive and provides a feeling of a well made truck, I just have to be careful when parking the truck in parking lots that have parking curbs/cement stops to avoid scraping the front.... again. Update- info screen went blank for one short trip and backup camera, on occasion, has not showed guidelines. Otherwise, no problems. MPG around town noticeably less than EPA rating, but solely on highway I am getting better than EPA MPG rating. Update 10/3/2020- the truck is nearly three years old but only has 7,300 miles on it. At 2,500 miles it developed transmission problems (sounded like I was driving over lane warning rub strips). Chevy had various problems with its 8 speed automatic transmissions in its trucks and cars. Chevy had different service bulletins addressing transmission problems (triple drain and replace the transmission fluid, replace the torque converter, etc.) that did not solve the problems. When my truck developed a problem they had a new SB that called for a fluid drain and replacement with a different transmission fluid. It seems to have solved the problem. The dealer replaced the transmission fluid with a different type and I have gone an extra 4,800 miles and so far so good. Time will tell if any damage was done to Chevy transmissions using the wrong fluid. Intermittent problems with backup camera guidelines not appearing continue. Chevy claims in a SB it is because sometimes drivers shift into reverse too quickly. That does not seem to be the problem. I believe Honda had a similar problem, but they have issued a recall to re-flash the camera module. Regarding the high step-up, I installed a set of stainless steel running boards ($138 on the internet) to help my wife get in because of the high step up and it has helped somewhat. The running boards were easy to install. We find the passenger's side front seat difficult to move forward or backward (have to really pull up high to get the seat to move), I will have that checked at the next service. Otherwise, there have been no new issues and I still like the truck.

Great economical and comfortable Pick Up

TommyG, 07/18/2018
Work Truck 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I highly recommend this truck great milage for a pickup very quiet and comfortable. No its not a speed demon but it's very acceptable. The seats could be a bit wider and alot softer ,getting in and out is a cake walk very easy no twisting. Love this truck so far. Also the phone and Bluetooth are excelent in this truck but radio reception seems poor, if you do you're own maintenance you will love it , very easy access to everything

Loving it.

Terry, 01/15/2019
ZR2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Nice ride, awesome power and handling. Comfortable seating and interior. A pleasure to drive.

Pass on this one.

Jim, 07/29/2019
Z71 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The 2018 Chevy Colorado in theory should be a nice pick up. However, it is poorly constructed, corners are cut and the vehicle is regularly in the shop. The arm rest was broken when it was received from the dealer, the adjustable lumbar settings didn't work either. Just poorly made and poorly assembled. The seat covers when first purchased, looked rich and comfortable, but soon the hem of the covers began to pull apart on the driver's seat. The paint job waxes up real nice, but scratches easily. The vehicle has been in the shop four times. The latest issue, the vehicle hesitates on acceleration and the check engine light activates. Most recently, the vehicle has been in the shop over a week now. At least the dealer lent me a loaner car. I'd love to buy American, but there has to be value. Maybe Chevy just isn't good at making small trucks, or anything anymore.

Disappointed for sure

Kent barnes, 02/20/2018
4dr Extended Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I am older buyer and drove Chevrolet for years. They only went half way on this one. It's a basic so it only has half a reese hitch. The auto drivers window is useless. You can't get it to stop where you want it. The 6 speed transmission is a nightmare. You have to push down on the floor shifter and put it in 6th to get it into reverse. Half the time it won't go in without 3 or 4 tries. The bed is so high up in the air it looks silly (like your going downhill) It does have a back up camera but 90% of the time the backup pattern that most cars have does not come on. The space behind the seat is totally useless. Does not come with storage or seats or anything. Its just there. (like an after thought) It has power seats but no power mirrors. Dealer added over 1K for documentation, nitrogen in tires, seat treatment, and fender wells. LoL. I would not recommend anyone buy a Chevrolet truck of any kind. The dealer was extremely high pressure so do dot buy anything from star auto in Waynesville/waynesville chevrolet. I kept this POS for 6 months and traded it. I grew up owning Cheverolets but after this experience I will never ever buy another one. Poorly engineered for sure. Buy a Nissan or Toyota they are 10 times better.