Used 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Cobalt for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

2009 Chevy Cobalt LT

Thomas, 04/23/2010

I got this car to replace my 02 VW Passat because it was starting to cost me anywhere from $1000 to $2000 every other month in repairs. The Cobalt reminds me of a cross between Toyota Corolla and a Toyota Yaris without the dorky exterior of a Yaris. It drives fairly well and has zero blind spots.

Awesome car

Albert, 05/22/2018
XFE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

WE have had a 2009 Chevy Cobalt for 9 years and it has 225000 miles on it. The only Major thing we have had to do is replace the strut assembly. All we did was to change the oil regularly as well as checking the fluid levels. I is a manual transmission that make is much more peppy than the auto trans. It gets 29-34 mpg. It has a little noise that you can hear when moving, but has only recently (within the last 20000 miles). I cold do nothing but give this a 5 on dependability. People not to purchase this car because it had a bad reputation. I am so glad we chose this one. BTW it still has the original clutch, which is awesome.

DRIVERS BEWARE!

vlk, 06/29/2012

Driving on I-10 on a clear morning, going at 70 mph, not sleepy, not distracted... the 2009 Chevy Cobalt I was driving started to swerve uncontrollably, then went off to the grassy embankment & rolled on its side at least twice. It finally landed on its passenger side against some small trees. The front wheel broke off along with its axle. The airbags did not deplore. Miraculously no one was seriously hurt! I was lucky, but no telling how the next accident of this sort will end up. GM is totally unresponsive & denies any responsibility. Something had to be wrong with the vehicle! There was just no other explanation. This is not about law suits. It is about consumer safety! BEWARE

great affordable family car

shotgun1496, 07/26/2012

love the car. there is power when you need it, rides good, got rather loud over the years, my only complaint it the brakes they squeal all the time, the even did it about a week after buying it. the cheap plastic interior sucks, but its a good car

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt

jjcarter11, 01/07/2011

I just purchased this amazing car and from the very beginning have enjoyed everything from the color to the handling of the car. The acceleration is outstanding! Would highly recommend this car to any car enthusiast who is looking for outstanding value matched with performance.

Too many repairs for a brand new car.

hdryder, 05/02/2011

We have a 2009 Cobalt Sedan W- Auto Trans. Purchased brand new. It currently has 38k miles on it. This is the worst GM car I have ever owned out of the gate. Within the warranty frame it's had numerous failures related to cheap parts: Power steering motor recall. Steering column replaced because of a rattle. Ignition replaced because the key could not be turned off. The most recent is a issue yet to be diagnosed for certain but we are experiencing an erratic slapping noise coming from the drive train. I suspect it's a noise that originates inside the transmission. This car has long term durabilty questionability. Be prepared to spend $$$$ after the warranty expires. It's very cheaply built.

Regret after regret

rkammer, 11/07/2012

This car was my first brand-new car purchase. The first weekend I had it, I had to take it back to the dealer because it had rained where I live and my entire trunk was soaking wet. The rear windshield had not been sealed and they had to replace the carpeting in my trunk and rear dash board. Since then, my now three year old car has been recalled 4 times. In my opinion, that is excessive. I wish I could get every penny back I spent on this car, and to top it off, customer service with GM has been terrible. This car has convinced me I will never buy any GM product ever again.

2009 cobalt 1LT 4dr sedan

Anonymous, 12/08/2010

I needed something w/ good factory warrany backing and GM has that covered, so when I chose this car I felt good- affordable, good pick up on highway and around town, about 1,200 miles a month. Little sluggish going up grades in regular drive gear though, but the good gas mileage makes up the difference. Nice stereo. quiet ride, good in snow.(live in Cleve. ohio) I Plan to drive this for a long time. I'm very happy overall.

Ford Girl, turns Chevy

michelle n, 03/28/2009

I recently traded my 2003 Ford Explorer for the 2009 Chevy Cobalt LT XFE 4-door sedan, in sport red, with a manual 5 speed transmission. I love the way this car rides and handles. I especially love the mpg this car gets, I travel 40+miles, six days a week, and I'm averaging 29.9 mpg. Compared to my Explorer, this is like getting gas for half price. Considering this is a compact car, it is extremely roomy, with quite a large trunk. I can't believe how quietly this car travels, with no road noise to be heard. The OnStar is a plus also. Great car for the price. I love it!

Cobalt XFE Is The Real Deal!

Ethan, 04/28/2009

I just purchased my new 2009 Cobalt XFE sedan. I have not seen many of the XFE packaged cars in the sedan bodystyle, so I assume that it is pretty rare. My car is the very base model LS, and the only option I purchased was floormats. It is a very comfortable driving car. It is surprisingly quiet inside (I've been told the sedan version has more headroom and is slightly quieter if that sways your decision). The engine power is great. I have 700 miles on the car and got an average of 40.7 MPG!!! That was on a 60 mile round trip of windy country roads and getting stuck in a little traffic. The mileage amazes me!

Cash for Cluncker Deal

lesrice, 08/02/2009

After driving a Fit, Yaris, Soul, G5, and a Focus, the only thing left out there after week one of cash for clunkers were manual Cobalts. It compared well with the other models and got better fuel economy (posted). The G5 had more features for the price, but they were the first cars gone by day 4. The Cobalt doesn't have all the features of the other vehicle, but it does have a trip computer, On Star and XM radio. With rebates, the price was 12,500 before my 4,500 cash for clunkers taking the price to 8,100. I can live with what it doesn't have for that kind of money. Time will tell and I will follow up with future post as we observe real world mileage and wear and tear.

Great littel gas saver

Lisa, 07/28/2010

I just bought my Cobalt with 35,000 miles. I'm already impressed. I drive quite a bit and this car can drive forever on one tank of gas. I love the exterior.

Great car

Lisa, 07/30/2010

Bought this car with low expectations, but it was a good deal. Turns out this little car is awesome. I won't be trading up anytime soon. It's perfect.

2009 Cobalt

RickD, 11/16/2010

Have 27,000 on mine and have had no problems. The car has great acceleration and very quiet and smooth ride.Gas mileage averages right around 28.5 to 29.0 MPG. Seem like a good little car with lots of quality built in. It definitely compares to the Corolla and Civic. I've owned both.

Good car for a good price

s1l3nt_1nc, 03/03/2012

A good relieable fun to drive car for a good price. However I have run into some minor cosmetic issues. I have a Automatic LT model and the red light that shows you what gear you are in is stuck. The plastic clip that you press to change gears broke off and my trunk light no longer works. However it runs great and is fun to drive. Gas mileage is OK but could be better. Overall good for the price. One more bit of advice. Get a spare key! If your battery dies and you try to start the car your key will be stuck in the ignition until you can jump the battery. There is a way to manually get the key out but you would have to get into the steering colum to press a tiny button which is hard to see.

Has been super reliable!

Olivia, 01/16/2020
LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2009 with 99,000 miles on it and it now has 155,000 miles. Only thing I have had to get replaced on it was the gas line since there was a minor leak, but it was a $100 fix. It has broken motor mount, but I plan on getting fixed. Still runs pretty smoothly and accelerates well. Gets 37 mpg!!! Other than that, I just get regular high-mileage oil changes on it and take care of fluids regularly. Every make has occasional lemons, but this vehicle was the best $3,000 I ever spent!

Good, solid car

John, 09/13/2008

The driver's seat is very comfortable, the car drives good, rides good, and wind and road noise is minimal. The fuel economy is very good. The right rear speaker is defective, a new one has been ordered. One negative design flaw is that the arm-rest between the driver and front passenger seats has to be raised up in order to set or release the parking brake. A telescoping steering wheel would be greatly appreciated by long legged drivers such as myselg.

Shame about the style.

Charles, 01/11/2010

So, one of the most boring faceless cars on the US roads has a hidden heart. its fun to drive, Cheap to own and a good value.I own a 08 Mini, an 08 F150 and find the Manual version of this car nearly as much fun as the Mini and more so than the Ford. BUT drive with care.mine has 29000 miles and is already falling to pieces. its back at the dealers again where they are replacing more of the steering assembly. the chrome has dropped of the interior handle and the door locks are sticking.. ALL IN ALL... its still a good cheap car. the discounts are great.

My Cobalt Rocks!

HoosierDiva, 09/17/2008

It's a small car! Handles beautifully, the Ecotrac whines a bit more than I like, but I love it! Having a compartment that is more easily accessed by the driver, yet secure would be helpful. the 'tray' under the Emerg brake doesn't 'corral' things well and they end up on the floor (not safe for drivers to fetch). XM may be a keeper and I feel much safer with the OnStar...some people may feel it's 'big brotherish but if big brother wants to keep tabs on my grocery store runs...he can help load and unload them! ....the dishwasher too! ...can drive me to work too!!

Great Value

GV, 02/20/2009

I've owned the car for about a month and haven't got a single regret. Got the car at an exceptional price with all the incentives even though I hadn't planned on buying a car. This car is way quicker than my venerable '98 Sunfire and with way more ammenities for thousands of dollars less. The car is a pleasant surprise with all it's features, conveniences and style.

Nice Economy car for a good price

PD, 03/17/2009

Just got the car today. It's a base auto with AC and ABS. It drives and rides pretty good for an economy car. Gets very good gas mileage so far 30+ mpg. Got mine for 12.5k which is a great price for a new car. Its not the most exciting car to drive, but that's not why I bought it.

A Decent Car for the Price

Peter, 03/25/2009

The first flaw I noticed with this car was that there is a severe premium on storage space. My map book wouldn't even fit in the glove compartment! The (optional) arm rest storage compartment is a must-have, even though it interferes with the parking brake. I found that the seat belt latch was located a little too close to the body and therefore difficult to access. The seats themselves are comfortable enough and there is more than enough head and leg room (I'm 6'). The display module is located a little too low on the dash. I found that it was obscured by the steering wheel spokes while turning so that the "low traction" warning couldn't be seen if you were turning on a patch of ice.

New Cobalt

Dan, 04/01/2009

I really like my new car. I was looking at Focus and Cobalt. For the price, I just could not say no. I drive a long ways for work and I needed a quality car I can depend on. This was a good deal and I am getting around 34 to 35 mpg round trip, going over hills and all. The extras I get with this car, XM radio, ONStar, hands free phone and the price, I just could not say no.

39 Mpg right from the Start!

buffalo Balt, 03/27/2009

I looked at a few different cars in this class and ended up buying a great Cobalt XFE. The interior door panels are in need of new materials and and a better design. The Chrome door handle and storage are great but the Plastic is so rough you can grate cheese on it. That is the only dislike however about this great car. I looked at an 09 Corolla and that interior looked extremely cheap and was full of bad plastics & poor fitting panels. The cost of the Corolla 5 speed was 14,500 rock bottom price. The Cobalt with all the same equipment plus onstar and XM radio was $11,000 before tax. PLUS the Cobalt is getting 39 mpg in mixed driving &ts not even broken yet. The Cobalt is the way to go.

Great Car

Mark, 06/10/2009

I've had my Cobalt LT sedan for a while now. I love it. Its perky, handles well and gets fantastic mileage. I had a Saab 9-3 before and I like the Cobalt seats much more than those in the Saab. I'm glad I bought American this time, also.

Chevy Cobalt Exceeded my expectation

Ding, 06/25/2009

This vehicle drives very well, makes tight turns, responds quickly. The fit and finish is great, with no uneven gaps between body panels. The fuel economy is better than posted. I drive a mix of local roads and highway, and get about 32 MPG on average (with automatic transmission). The rear seats have ample leg rooms for my 2 teenage sons. Transmission is especially smooth. Never feel anything with gear changes. The vehicle has substantial weight, so on highway it does not "drift". A great value!

Good car for the Money

ChicagoDave, 07/02/2009

I bought this car in November of 2008, it was the cheapest car I could find and I am surprisingly pleased with it. The drive is smooth and unexciting, the radio is decent enough, the controls are laid out nicely the front seat are comfortable enough to be in for a few hours at a time and it's a compact car that has enough power to pass semi's on the highway.

Love my Cobalt

Latona, 07/07/2009

I love my new cobalt! The vehicle was much better than I initally thought. My Cobalt is fully loaded with Black leather interior, Premium Pioneer sound system (with a sub!),heated seats, Onstar, Bluetooth, HUGE sunroof. I like the fact that my Chevy makes it easy to keep your car up on maintenance as well. I know my tire pressure, coolant levels, oil level, gas mileage and more. I never paid attention to that stuff before, I always had my husband take care of it. The trunk is also very big. We are very Pleased with our purchase!

Love my car!

Wikia, 08/08/2009

This is the first vehicle I have purchased on my own, and I am very happy with it. I wanted something simple, but my dealer located a car for me with the sports package, a lot of fun extras. I traded in my old Chevy Blazer for a more fuel efficient and safer car, and I am so glad I did. About a month and half after I purchased my car someone ran a red light and t-boned me. Both myself and my passenger were ok, and I credit that to my car. The time that my car was in the shop, I missed it. Before buying my car I test drove Honda's and Ford's, but with this car you get a lot of "bang for your buck": power, safety, fuel efficiency, comfort, etc. I think I made a very smart (and safe!) choice.

Better than expected

donna, 08/13/2009

I would never have considered the cobalt prior to driving it as a rental. I was impressed by the headroom, handling, and quiet firm ride when on a parkway at speeds 60+ I also felt the seats were very comfortable and supportive and the car was overall "fun to drive". I would definitely consider purchasing this car particularly in view of their competitive pricing

Nice car

himoses, 08/21/2009

Car had surprising acceleration for its class. The car was also extremely quiet and had low road noise. The feedback in the steering is adequate at best. The braking is good and the gas mileage is acceptable. I averaged 29 MPG in hard mixed driving. I could get 35 MPG if this were not a rental and I did not pound it. I don't like the interior materials, but it is sufficient for most people. I also wish the car had on wheel audio controls. This is a very simple, clean, and functional car if you do not need to use the back seat. I generally do not like GM, but this is a nice car for the right price. Better to rent this than to own IMHO.

Cobalt

Rich D, 09/06/2009

I have owned Toyotas for the past 12 years and I thought I would give an American Car a try. The Cobalt ride is great and the interior noise is super quiet for a small car. I am not impressed with the interior quality but I think the car has nice exterior lines. Gas mileage for city highway is right around 29 MPG... This car can accelerate! If this car is reliable I will continue to buy American. Overall a nice little car!

Steering problem at around 7k to 10k

PKRochesterNY, 09/17/2009

The Company I work for bought four new 2009 Lt cobalt and each has had the steering column replaced at about 7k to 10k miles. The powering steering stops working making turning into parking spots (repetitively very hard). The steering wheel itself just does weird stuff and then the car needs repair. Other little things stop working too. Like the light showing what gear in, does not work. The head rest is in a awkward position too. Many people that sit in the seat immediately notice the head rest hitting their head in an odd way.

Love the ride

Thomas bacot, 09/26/2009

Looked at several different makes, toyota lost out quick due to price and quality, Honda was impressive as was the price. Drove the Cobalt several times, loved the car over all, drive train sold me. After 6000 miles of driving I still love to get in and go. Gas mileage is amazing, trunk opening is small.Interior is OK, what can you expect for the price,Fur. It is durable and should last. I'm Happy and its made in the good old USA

Not the same car as the 2005-2007 models

GMcustomerNoMore, 10/24/2009

Used to have a 2005 LT: features, fit and finish were impeccable! Based on my experience, I bought a 2009 LT2 sight-unseen. First impression was the downgraded interior materials: silver plastic replaced wood-grain, vinyl for chrome, lower-quality leather. Engine compartment and trunk soundproofing were dropped so much noisier than the '05. Trunk lid does not sit flush and gaps between body panels vary widely. Trunk floor sags where spare tire well cover was eliminated. Center cap fell off after 2 weeks, a clicking noise developed in a rear door after 1 mo, molding above the driver's door peeling back after 5 mo and sunroof rattling after 6 mo. Goodwrench said irreparable under warranty!

I am very sad.

John, 11/22/2009

I bought a 2009 Cobalt LT sedan two weeks ago. It is beautiful Sport Red Tint with Grey interior. After putting just 149 miles on it, the electric steering started making a death wail each time I turned a corner. The car now sits at the dealership. When they hooked up the diagnostic computer to it, TWENTY possible error codes came back. Fortunately, my salesman is letting me select another car, which is a shame, because I really liked that one. The 2009 rental Cobalt I am in drives perfectly with 31,000 miles on it. Maybe I just lucked out in getting the lemon?

Short-time review

JJR60616, 01/13/2010

My expectations going in were low. I was just looking for a new car to replace my S10 Pickup my daughter beat up in a couple accidents. Looked for cheap cars, best rebates, something simple. Was pleasantly surprised at the handling, features, fit & finish and performance of the 2009 Cobalt.

dissatisfied

robert minnie, 02/22/2010

l purchased this cobalt last august and have not been happy with it, very poor gas mileage, rated for 48 and l get no more than 25/26, back seat leg room is real small, l feel embarrassed to take anyone with me, other than these little annoyances the car is ok, wouldn't buy another one

crossing my fingers

Bob, 02/19/2010

I like the looks, the gas mileage and the price was affordable. A wheel cap fell off at 10K and at 19K miles, the steering column is being replaced for the second time! Each time for a different noise. I bought this car new, thinking I wouldn't have to worry about car repairs for awhile. I am now second guessing how much it will cost in repairs once the warranty is up.

2009 beige cobalt

christine Parker, 08/16/2010

Fun to drive, 30000 miles, mechanical problems, turn signal wouldn't shut off, now "something " is draining the battery, in shop for diagnosis. could not locate fob for above mentioned car

51050