Used 2012 Buick Regal GS Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Buick Regal GS Consumer Reviews

GS 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual - (19 reviews )

Where do I begin??!!
By Jonnyess

2012 Buick Regal GS GS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first "American" car in estimated 1M lifetime miles....Toyota, then Nissan, always had what I wanted to drive...6 speed, coupe, leather, sunroof etc. Well, that all changed in recent years and I didnt want to splurge on an Audi simply because prefer a manual transmission. Doing some research on my next vehicle after my Altima Coupe turned into a money pit at 155k, I stumbled onto Buick and the redesigned Regal with its 6sp turbo. I did tons of consumer research before purchasing, and all indications were favorable. Fast forward 2 years this week, and here's my laundry list: MPG has never approximated the published EPA estimates - Turbo lag is very pronounced in lower gears...-front axle and wheel bearing needed replacing at 30k (CPO warranty covered) - trunk light fixture failed at 30K (not covered)...the GPS SD card fails intermittently, system reboot needed to recover...bluetooth will randomly disconnect from my Android, has actually completely redacted itself from the vehicle on 2 occasions...lack of rear camera is mind boggling at this price point (as others have mentioned)...the rear trunk will randomly fail to open, mechanism finally totally failed at 60k...the OEM carpeted floor mats are comically thin and low quality...the interior lights will randomly fail when opening car doors in a dark garage....the passenger visor tension rod failed at 40K, cannot be repaired: $120 for replacement. The drivers side seat heater has failed at 57k...the stereo IQ reverts to default settings once the car is turned off...

And the kicker: received 2 CEL codes accompanied by loss of power, white exhaust, rough idle at 50k...warranty had expired due to date of vehicle initial title...fuel injectors were replaced ($900) and dealer advised "we spoke with GM tech support, and that white smoke from exhaust MAY be due to cracked piston..." !!?? Received 2 different CEL codes within 24 hours, brought vehicle back to local dealer, {who was in the process of going out of business, but checked the vehicle}, advised gratis the problem was not the "throttle body" as indicated, and suggested I bring to another dealer for a deep dive. After 2 days, dealer called and advised I need new engine or complete rebuild, as there "was no oil in pan...it was throughout the system" and the exact cause simply could not be pinpointed. GM refused to extend the expired warranty, despite my arguments re low mileage, finally agreed to meet me halfway and the engine rebuild subsequently cost me $3300, on top of the $900 I had just spent on the initial problem. Unlimited mileage/12 mo warranty. The car now drives beautifully as one might expect after this type of spend. The handling and ride have always been top notch, and the design is clearly a head-turner. GM second-string engineering and failure to stand by their products are the ultimate problem here, and this will be my last purchase.

Fantastic Driver with some Shortcomings
By Josh

2012 Buick Regal GS GS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car over a year ago to replace a 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid that had recently surpassed 100,000 miles. I wanted something that would be fun to drive and that had a manual transmission. This car checked (most of) the boxes for my needs, after a year with it, however, this will be my last GM for a while.

The good: The turbocharged motor and manual transmission combination is great! Clutch and shifts are smooth and engage easily. The torque band is very wide and pulls the Regal up to (and over) legal highway speeds, quickly and quietly. The interior is quiet and comfortable around town and on long trips.

The bad: Trying to use/figure out the buttons on the steering wheel/center console/touch screen is miserable and very confusing. Voice recognition only works for certain functions, much worse than the SYNC in my previous car. No rear-view camera, on a vehicle at this price point trying to compete with entry-level luxury cars, a rear-view camera should be standard. The graphics for the navigation are acceptable, at best. QUALITY (or lack thereof) - my car has been in the shop 6 times in the past year for small repairs, blower motor on the climate control randomly cuts out, 4 rear light bulbs (no access panels in trunk, have to remove carpet surrounding the trunk to replace), sun visor mirror cover shattered apart, and grommets holding the floor mats to the floor sprung apart. The plastics on the interior feel cheap and look cheaper. The lack of storage space for front seat occupants is disappointing.

Buick has done a fantastic job with the styling and the performance aspect of this car. It looks and drives fantastic, now if there was more focus placed upon quality and interior components, I'd be fully satisfied. I'm glad I purchased the Regal, but I'm ready to get into something else.

Update: 7/23/2016; 67,000 miles. The car continues to disappoint. I've now been through 6 sets of brake pads/rotors (it's a stick shift, I rarely brake hard). Several more tail light bulbs have burned out. The check engine light is on and the car is trying to stall out upon every shift. There's zero power upon acceleration despite the turbo engaging.

I've actually sought out and bought another 2010 Milan because I hate this car so much but owe too much on it to get rid of it. This will definitely be my last GM product for a long time.

Update: 1/25/2017; Still own this heap due to being underwater (thanks GM depreciation). Up to 75k miles - problems mentioned above were fixed at least GM extended the warranty and covered the issues (exhaust gas sensor, cam sensor, and a couple of other misc. issues). Recently got approved for a personal loan to finance the negative equity - can't wait to sell this car.

Needs AWD, and better Infotainment controls
By sa_greg

2012 Buick Regal GS GS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love the exterior looks and wheels. I chose this over an Audi A4 Avant Quattro (wagon). My choice was based on (#1.) cheaper oil changes and overall maintenance costs vs. Audi's $250 oil changes, (#2.) more horsepower/torque over Audi, (#3.) more aggressive look than Audi, and (#4) Not too many GS models on the road = kind of exclusive.
Love the car but sacrificed the pre-requisite of an All-Wheel-Drive car (Audi) for the horsepower / looks in the GS. The almost uncontrollable torque steer is annoying & almost embarrassing when you want to stomp on the gas.
Also, very upset that I can't stream Pandora to Samsung Galaxy S5. Have to resort to using Aux input. Cheap interior materials.

Love the 270 HP, 295 Torque. Unique look/stance/wheels. Awesome stopping power from Brembo brakes.

The seats are horribly uncomfortable after a while. Drove the less expensive 2014 Verano (loaner) and those seats pampered my butt with its plusher cushioning. Add AWD, Add AWD, Adding all-wheel-drive will make me NOT regret turning down the Audi A4 AWD Avant. Torque steer is almost uncontrollable and embarrassing when the steering wheel is all over the place (going every which way but straight). GS and Sport mode buttons seem only good for harsher/firmer suspension only (feeling every little bump in the road). Also, sluggish acceleration for the first few gears. Cumbersome turn-signal stalk controls for the driver info system. Cheap plastic trim pieces everywhere on the dash.

First American Branded car in 35 years
By jbgcrs

2012 Buick Regal GS GS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have driven Japanese and German cars with my last being a 2005 C230 Kompressor Sport 4 dr 6spd manual.I followed the GS from the moment the car was announced. Found my 2012 with 4500 miles and a 6spd. Wow! Loaded, this is one of the best cars I have owned. Fun to drive, great head turner and reliable. With over 30k on it the car still feels like it did at 4500. I live in a world filled with 3 series Bimmers and C300 Benzes and I love the exclusivity of owning this car. Amazes me how many young under 30 year olds love this car. Buick got it right and I hope they improve upon this great car

6spd manual 19" wheels Sound System Great interior and exterior design Exclusivity!

Make it rear wheel drive!!

A good effort but flawed
By smerdyakov

2012 Buick Regal GS GS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I traded a 2011 Audi A4 for this car. At first I liked the Buick much better, but, as time went on, problems made themselves evident. The engine was quite powerful but, in spite of the much-hyped HyPer strut front suspension, torque steer was very pronounced under hard acceleration. In addition, the driver's seat, although comfortable on short jaunts, became a source of torture on long highway runs. The bottom bolsters seemed to be too tight, causing intense hip pain. In addition, the three driving modes (normal, Sport and GS) seemed to have little effect on performance, although the letter did stiffen the suspension significantly. The controls also feature a plethora of pushbuttons.

Powerful engine, smooth ride, attractive design

Improve the seats, cure torque steer