Used 2005 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Passes Anything INCLUDING gas stations
By Chief Black Bimmer

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

When I was a kid, I had a 1968 Pontiac GTO, which could pass just about anything but a gas station. My new BMW 545 will pass that Goat, and gas stations, too (I get 18-19 mpg in town, 26-28 on the interstates). In fact, largely due to its wonderful 6- speed Steptronic transmission, it actually gets better gas mileage than my other Bimmer, a 2004 330 coupe with 5-speed auto. The much-reviled iDrive is easy to master if you take the time to study the owner's manual. I have little sympathy for the whiners who invest $50K+ on a terrific vehicle, but not several hours to read the manual. IDrive will be your friend if you let it. Ride and Handling - outstanding, as expected.

Fast, comfortable (standard seats), great handling. Much better-than- expected fuel economy. Bluetooth keeps me legal in NJ and NY. Navigation system pleasant surprise.

More interior storage space (a biggie). Flimsy cup holders in front. Turn signals not intuitive, as in my 3-series. Logic 7 has outstanding sound, but is overpriced at $1800.

Excellent Job
By Rich

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Ordered this 545i (still built in Germany) car and got it in 4 weeks. Excellent power and nice new interior with the Dakota Auburn Leather. Good solid fit and finish. Had an 02 540i and I like this one even more. Exterior styling they got mostly right, still looks determined and stout.

Heads up display, 18 ways seats, sound system and Sirius radio.

Larger CUP HOLDERS! Get rid of the STUPID directional lever and go back to the old one. I hate this "slightly touch" crap. Add seat cooling option. Improve the nav system, the Acura still has BMW beat by a longshot.

My BMW 545i Six Speed
By Tom Schmidt

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

BMW gave the owners of the older E39 a reason to trade up. The newer E60 is so different in terms of improved handling and balance its hard to believe they came from the same company. I took possession of the car in Munich so I got to drive it on the Autobahn. Wow, what a thrill. When a car is designed to travel safely at 130 mph, it's even safer at 70 mph. It's so well thought out in every detail that it seems every design feature has it's own complex rationale. It is probably the the perfect car for me.

The car handles like nothing else except, perhaps, a true sports car. The plush interior and the exterior styling are unquestionably elegant. No Chris Bangle bashing here. The car stuns in person.

The iDrive remains to be improved. However, the alternative is one million little buttons like on the Audi A6, which is no solution at all.

Patricia's Beemer
By Patricia Gonzalez

2005 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had a 323i prior to this 2005 5 series. WOW! I am so happy I upgraded. It is classy, sporty & so much fun to drive. If you love the feel of a tight drive, you'll love this car. I'm a Beemer girl and always will be!

Exterior iDrive The way it turns the corners

I have tan leather interior and it does get dirty fast.

Back and better then before
By blue/dark brown inti

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I had the very first 2004 545i in NYC and it looked great but the computer was never working correctly and car was always in the shop. So my dealership worked with BMW and got me into an brand new M3 convertible leaving my 545i to BMW for further evaluation. Needless to say I loved my M3 but I needed a bigger car but did not want to lose the M3 drive so I returned my M3 and am back in a new 2005 545i and BMW fixed everything that was wrong with the 2004. The car is as fun to drive as my M3 but has the best sound system (Logic 7) great handling (sports pkg) and enough room for anything that life throws at you. The GPS/voice/bluetooth all work great GET A 545 TODAY- BEST 4dr on the road!

Bluetooth phone, active stearing, sports pkg, Logic 7 and heated stearing wheel and seats

make windows go up as well as down using the key buttons and update key to that of the start system of 750 LI