Used 1996 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Ya Gotta Know What You're Buying
By JL Moix

1996 BMW 3 Series 318ti 2dr Hatchback

I love this car. But then, I also knew when I bought it that it was going to need numerous repairs based on the known history of this model. In the first year I bought and or replaced the radiator, the starter, the fuel pump, both window regulators, the alternator, the water pump, and the battery. The car now has 203,000 miles and I would not hesitate to take it on a cross-country trip.

A thoroughbred driven in partnership
By Bill Edley

1996 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

I am writing this 1996 BMW 318 ci Review after driving (owning seems too…well…dominate) for 18 years. We have 228,000 miles on a 4 cyl - 5 speed thoroughbred. I love this car. It’s my perfect sports car. Great handling with plenty of get-up-and-go without being overpowered. Hate over powered. Sports cars are made to be driven in partnership not rocketship.
I’ve replaced the struts and a few brakes and rotors. Still have the same clutch and same top, although the mechanism is a little creaky with age.
My previous sports cars were a 1955 MG TF and a 1960 Jag X150. The Jag was great but hard to keep running and the TF was fun, but truly underpowered. Our BMW is perfect.
I can’t part with it…and probably never will.

96 Bmw 328i
By Michael

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Soooo fun to drive! Even with 200,000mi!
By 328i96

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

This car has by far been the most reliable car I've ever owned. I previously had a '94 325is and a '95 Mercedes Benz c280. The car is alot like my 325is but It has more options and It just looks much better. I have driven this car from DC to NYC many times without issues. The only problems that I've had so far is that the driver electronic seat backrest tilt doesn't function anymore. It just needs a new plastic gear for the seat motor. Another thing is that Over the years the black leather has become severely dried out because of the sun. These minor things dont bother me much. I just love the way the car handles and the looks I get from people when I drive around town.

Heated leather seats, Auto down windows with key insertion, Handling, and the amazing power.

The cooling system, the valve cover gasket, and the electronic top

Excellent car
By rhodesej2

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

When we bought our 328i it had approx 82k miles on it, it now has 150k. In that time we have had to replace the radiator and water pump. At 150k it drives like it just came off the showroom floor. We are very pleased with it. My wife is the primary driver and we are now considering buying a 2001 5 series. The paint is cracking in some places also the ignition switch has presented some problems which was an inconvenience to have repaired. All in all it is an excellent vehicle.

Steering is tight with no play in the steering wheel. Acceleration is outstanding.