Skip to main content

MSRP Starting at
$52,400

Save as much as $1,430
Select your trim:

We have a limited number of reviews for the 2023 S4, so we've included reviews for other years of the S4 since its last redesign.

Simply Fantastic! Coast to Coast! 2018 S4 Prestige

Chris, 07/24/2017
2018 Audi S4 Prestige quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Coming from a 328i and being a BMW fan in general I was very skeptical, with high expectations, for the S4 and I felt like I was taking a risk when I purchased this car. Looking back, I honestly feel I could not have made a better decision. This car is simply amazing in every way. I recently drove this car coast to coast from New Jersey to San Diego and had plenty of time to break it in. Ride comfort: 40 hours and 2 1/2 days never went so fast... the Quattro handled torrential downpours to aggressive cornering like a dream. Fatigue was not an issue with the 3-way massaging seats! Driving Dynamics: The S4 accelerates like a rocket and handles like a dream at any speed. The different driving modes are critical as road conditions change. I loved how the Dynamic mode handled the winding mountains in the Southwest with ease and the comfort mode was smooth sailing through the various construction work zones across the country. Tech: The high end gizmos in the new Audi's was what finally pushed me away from BMW and towards Audi. The adjustable color heads up display with Navigation and speed sign recognition worked great! Crossing America, I never had to worry about the changes in the speed limit from a high of 75 to a low of 45 in the work zones... The cameras always caught the sign changes. I had never used lane keeping assist before so there was an adjustment period but once I got used to it... it was a blessing. After hours of driving and possible fatigue it felt like you had a guardian angel by your side giving you gentle nudges to keep you on track day or night. Having Navigation on dual screens is quite nice and extremely customizable, especially zoom in/out with the scroll of your thumb. The only negative I have is that the download speeds of the Audi Connect when searching weather or traffic updates was a bit slow but not surprising considering all the digital processing constantly going on with the car. Overall this car is a dream machine that I plan to enjoy for many years to come.

2018 vs 2010 Audi S4 Prestige

Twowheelsgood, 08/10/2017
updated 08/24/2022
2018 Audi S4 Prestige quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

After cross shopping, including Merc C43 AMG, I replaced my 2010 Audi S4 Prestige (7A) with a 2018 S4 (Sport & winter packages, 19" wheels, Dynamic Steering). My first impression was mixed. What's better in the 2018 S4: suspension (more compliant with no loss of grip); brakes (less grabby with no loss of stopping power); steering (lacks feel but quicker and more accurate, particularly off center); front seat adjustability; instrument panel; parking & driver aids; headlights; fuel economy. What's better on the 2010 S4: exterior styling (except the lights); throttle response; transmission (DCT). It looks like the 2018 wins by a knockout but it didn't feel that way at first. The new car is let down by a tendency to bog on initial throttle application in Comfort and Auto modes. I think the issue is transmission tuning (delayed kick-down) plus a bit of turbo lag and poor throttle tip-in tuning. This can be a safety issue when you need to accelerate hard from a stop or slow creep to get out of the way of something. Dynamic mode cures the bog, but I don't want to use that mode all the time. Per the updates, the 2018 S4 has grown on me. Lastly, the back-up video camera on this car is pathetic. Far dimmer than the one on our Honda CRV that cost less than half as much as the S4. 5,000 mile update (Feb 2018). I warmed up to this car considerably. The performance is sneaky. Potent acceleration, cornering and braking occur with so little fuss that it's easy to caught out going faster than appreciated. What's really impressive is how well a car with this performance deals with the daily commute. When mired in traffic, I put it in Auto or Comfort mode, set the dynamic cruise control (on highways and secondary roads) and let the car deal with it while I listen to the excellent B&O sound system. When conditions permit, I switch to the Dynamic mode with or without manual shifting and go for it. The steering and handling are excellent, and the sport diff helps the car rotate better than other Audis I have driven. There is some body roll, but I prefer that in sporty street cars. It takes a set and holds it. Lack of feedback from steering is somewhat compensated by the body movement. There are palpable differences between modes. Dynamic is crisp but does not make the ride too brittle. My only other issue so far is a weak HomeLink transmitter. I keep a remote in the car because the built-in unit often failed to operate the garage door. I think this due to the transmitter being moved from under the front fascia in the B8 to somewhere in the back of the car in the B9. When HomeLink didn't work with the car nose-in, I could turn around and present the back end to the garage and it worked. A dumb fault in $65K luxury sedan. I had no such problem with my B8 S4 or '14 Audi Q5 TDI. I would strongly recommend the B9 S4 to anyone who wants a 4-season sport sedan that copes equally well with felonious speeds and daily driving. Every time I get in the car, I look forward to driving it. Love the TFT instruments. I have been saved a few times by Audi Pre-Sense, Lane Assist and Cross Traffic Assist, so that technology works. At 5,000 miles there have been no mechanical issues and the car easily gets 24-25 mpg measured at the pump unless flogged in which case it drops to the teens. When I bought the car I was told by an Audi service manager that the 18" Audi OEM wheels used for winter in my B8 S4 would fit the B9. Wrong! They didn't clear the calipers, so I got aftermarket 18s fitted with Nokian Hakkas. Not the sportiest winter tire but absolutely the beans for stopping & going in snow. 15,000 update and I’m still looking forward to driving every time I get in the car. There have been zero mechanical issues and no more negatives than those noted before. 20,000 mile update (Aug 2019). Zero mechanical issues and I'm still loving the car. The OEM Continental summer tires that gripped ferociously only lasted for 15,000 miles. This spring, I changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires that improved the steering response and will hopefully last longer. Average fuel consumption since new is sitting at 26.9 mpg on the computer, which is about 1 mpg optimistic. Still outstanding for a car with this performance. 40,000 mile update (Aug 2021): Zero mechanical issues and I'm still loving the car. . Average fuel consumption now 28.9 mpg per computer, but I moved do more highway miles. The Pilot Sport 4s have outlived the Contis but will need replacing next summer. The Pilots trade better steering feel for a little less grip, but at limits so high they're rarely reached on the street. One gripe I forgot to mention on my initialre view is that the rear view camera is terribly dim. It's totally outclassed by the camera on our Honda CR-V (our Q5 got totaled by someone running a red light). The video overhead view in the S4 is great and I'll look for that for all future cars. 53,000 mile update (Aug 2022): Zero mechanical issues and I'm still loving the car. Average fuel economy since day 1 with lots of highway driving is now 30 mpg per the computer. I might trade the car around 80,000 miles. Maybe for the new RS3, which has a cheaper and more cramped interior but that wonderful 2.5 liter 5-cyl motor now mated with a torque vectoring diff. The S4 is a better GT/daily than I expect the RS3 to be, but I'm close to retirement and want one last characterful ICE car. To make up for that, we're getting a BMW i4 e40 in September.

3 out of 5 stars

A joy to drive!

Robert, 08/20/2017
2018 Audi S4 Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

As advised by Edmunds, going with Premium Plus and adding Technology package and S Sport Package seemed to be the best value. Coming from 21 years of driving BMWs, I was doing a lot of research on why change. But with technology platforms changing so fast, I wanted to keep an open mind. It was a surprise that Audi S4 came out on top for me after two test drives and a lot of research. Interior, Exterior, performance, and driving comfort. Now, after 4 months of daily driving plus several long roadtrips, I'm sure it was the right choice.

Amazing

K Rein, 08/16/2017
2018 Audi S4 Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I purchased the S4 a couple months ago after researching many other similar vehicles, to include BMW and MB. I came from a 2011 Infinite G37X and while I loved that car, you really cannot compare the two. The Audi is simply the best vehicle I have ever driven. My S4 has the Napa leather package and the S Sport package which I highly recommend. This car handles amazing, it actually feels like there is someone sitting behind me steering my rear wheels while taking turns or curves at a higher speed. The six piston brakes are awesome also. Anyone who nit picks the steering, suspension, brakes, transmission or anything else on this car is being ridiculous. This car is solid all the way around and this review is coming from your everyday guy. There is nothing I don't love about this car, I look forward to getting into it everyday. Lastly for you audio enthusiasts, the Bang & Olufsen stereo is also amazing. The louder you play it the better it gets. I hope this review helps you when you are trying to make your decision.

Fast Fun!

GMO24, 08/19/2018
updated 03/01/2019
2018 Audi S4 Prestige quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had many VAG autos over the years including a APR stage 3 VW CC R-Line and more recently a 2016 Golf R with an APR stage 2 setup prior to my purchase of the 2018 Audi S4. That’s said, the S4 is very refined and fast for a stock vehicle compared to some of my previous experiences. The car is an absolute joy to drive. The handling is very good at high speed and the car is completely composed, especially in dynamic mode. My only grip is that I wish they would have given it the DSG transmission in the S6. The ZF 8 is good and quick but still not as fast or intuitive as the DSG. That aside, the car is fantastic. The carbon fiber trim is sporty and aggressive looking without being overbearing. The cabin materials are high quality and the Fine Nappa leather is a must in my opinion. The Bang & Oulefson stereo is amazing. As good if not better than Bose. All in all I’m very happy with the car. Lastly buy the service/maintenance package as the servive dept charges insane prices for simple 20K, 30K, 40K, 50K service intervals. TRUST ME! I found out the hard way with my wife’s Audi Q7. Okay... So I'm now above 20K miles and I've had the car for a year. Still very pleased with it. A little bummed that none of the major tuners have been able to break into the ECU but the car is still fun to drive. The original Continental Tires had to be replaced at 16K miles which surprised me as I don't drive the car hard. I was told by the Tire Plus rep that helped me that the tires on these sport models are very soft and have tremendous grip which makes them wear faster. Also had to have the high pressure fuel pump replaced which was covered under warranty.

3 out of 5 stars