Used 2012 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Manufacturer defect and no support for 2012 A4
By hsutton

2012 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Audi recently settled a big lawsuit for owners of 2009-2011 A4's that had oil consumption problems. The 2012's were not included in that lawsuit, and now that our car is out of warranty we are out of luck for getting their assistance with repair costs. It was first taken in for oil consumption problems when it was only 3 years old, and we paid for that service. Now that it is 2-3 years later the problem has returned and we are looking at either a $6,000 repair for pistons/rings or a $12-$15k replacement engine. We've paid off this vehicle, but it did not have an extended warranty. We use it for work and do a lot of highway miles, so it does have more than 100k miles. We've also had oil changes done at places other than an Audi dealership. All of those things worked against us. We have spent so much time and money on this issue, and on the care overall, that I would not recommend a 2012 A4 to anyone looking to purchase a used vehicle.

dynamics = great, everything else = meh/poor
By AL-PIN-A

2012 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

We leased 2 of them. We loved our first one (a 2010), although it had an oil problem and the rearview mirror kept on falling off. The second one was a nightmare. The car shipped with a torn front seat. The first one had 60/40 folding rear seats. The second one didn't. The guy screwed up our order, but by the time we realised this, it was too late. Also the fuel economy for each car SUCKED!!!! Every 2 weeks we paid $60+ for hi-grade petrol (for comparison, our 2015 328xi costs around $35 to fill for the same duration). The ergonomics were a mess. The backseat was the size of the backseat of a coupe (i.e. nonexistent). Caveat Emptor!

I love this car
By RH

2012 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

It is a nice car, it is not a performance car. I went from a Hemi Challenger with 380 horsepower to this so I might be biased or off on my judgment a little but it is quick and fast but not great acceleration. the automatic seems to hesitate when I step on the gas. I like to use the auto/manual shift but worry I might be putting too much wear and tear on the tranny. It handles great. I can go on "on ramps" and "off ramps" at about 80 and no tire squeal. It is fun to drive. I live the leather seats are comfortable and classy. I am thinking of getting a performance mod on the ECU. I bought this used with about 30k on it. great used car for $20K.

Now I have about 65K miles and the car is still great. I haven't had any trouble with it at all. Just a great car to drive

Love my A4, great value
By Michael

2012 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

This car is a great value. I bought it certified pre owned which I don't regret at all. Wonderful warranty come with it, maintenance included for some mileage intervals. The ride on this car is the best of any car I have had, I couldn't imagine a smoother ride at this price point! I like the navigation screen and map, but the screen could be bigger. Infiniti Q50 has the perfect screen size, get the queue from them! Trunk is huge, I love the way the trunk pops open when you hit the switch or button, if you have your hands full it's wonderful. There are hooks in the trunk ceiling for shopping bags so they don't fly around (genius!), both back seats fold down. The Bang & Olufsen stereo is top notch, clear and awesome sound, better than the Bose with Infiniti. I don't like that the car doesn't connect Bluetooth for music on your phone, that is such an easy add for a car company, the connector for the phone to play music is in the glovebox, very odd, and you can't have both that and the headphone connector in the armrest for music. Audi, fix this! I do like the CVT transmission, very smooth ride but it seems to have play in it when taking off sometimes, they can't find anything wrong but it's something to get used to, if they even make this trans anymore. I LOVE the led running lights, has to be my favorite feature! Looks awesome driving, and it's the last year with the individual dot lights before they made the continuous line light, just my preference. The gas mileage is amazing, I get almost 30 mpg with almost all city driving. Freeway driving takes it over 30. With the turbo you can't tell you are driving a 4 cylinder, I can't stress how I hated a 4 cylinder before, but with this car I love it

Pros: gas mileage, smooth ride, solid feel, very stylish, big trunk
Cons: no Bluetooth music feature, small navigation screen

Struck the (almost) perfect balance
By dayowl87

2012 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I got this car as a stylish daily commuter that would also serve my need for winter drives to Tahoe and dinner with clients. Since I drive 90 miles round trip each day I wanted a car that was comfortable, fuel-efficient and stylish.

I'm very pleased with the overall interior and exterior design which after looking at the usual suspects I think are clearly best in class.
The car has also exceeded my expectations for gas mileage as I've been experiencing low to mid-thirties on the highway. I've been impressed with the important creature comforts during my drives including the seats, adjustable armrest and climate control.

I love the unique design of the car and quality feeling it provides for an entry level luxury sports sedan. It backs this up excellent gas mileage and strong performance,especially at cruising speed. I use the car for my 90 mile a day commute and find the seats comfortable and the ride and excellent balance of taughtness and comfort. Several other smart design features also accommodate my extra-curricular activities including a large trunk, quatro-system, split rear seats and an easily accommodated roof racking system.

The issues I have with the car are fairly minor but include engineering a better elbow support system for long distance drivers, creating a usable sunglasses holder, and addressing the oil-burning issue they seem aware of but disinterested in fixing. The biggest opportunity for improvement relates to the MMI audio system. While I'm used to the non-intuitive UI, I think for a car competing I this segment it should be mor robust in supporting pandora, YouTube and other streaming media. The fact my best friend's teenage son has a Ford Mustang with a decidedly better entertainment system is an embarrassment.