Used 2012 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews

Used MDX for Sale
Select your model:
12345...9

Pros
Cons

Oil Burner!

Dave M, 04/25/2017
Advance and Entertainment Packages 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Bought a used 2012 MDX to replace a 2007 MDX. Quickly discovered it burns oil at a rate of a quart every 1100 miles. Thought the previous owner had abused the engine and not changed oil regularly. WRONG. Seems that most "reviewers" and organizations have missed the fact that Acura has a bad engine - the J37A - out there on the 2008-2014 MDX. A new cylinder material is rumored to be abrasive against the piston rings - and the oil is being burned quickly. Acura has taken the stance that a quart/1000 miles is "normal." And they are only ponying up money to totally irate consumers with signing of an NDA. There is the rumor that the rings were installed improperly at the factory. Initial statistics show that over 11% of Acura MDX's have this problem with the J37A engine. Advise strongly again buying unless some warranty guarantee from Acura. The problem has shown up in cars with as few as 40,000 miles. Usually AFTER the warranty is expired. Caution!!!

Traded down to Trade up!

wayne91, 01/30/2012
4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I traded my 2011 QX56 for the 2012 MDX. Why? Well, I am looking to downsize my life while not giving up everything. Then MDX offers all I need and what I want. Versatility, sportiness, comfort, performance, and better MPG. Thought about LEXUS, MERCEDES, and found the pricing too high. The Range Rover does not provide the reliability and resale of ACURA.

My "New" 2012 MDX - 2k miles so far

jg88, 04/14/2015
Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Just bought a 2012 MDX Tech CPO with 30k miles and am pretty darn happy with it. Tested the X5 and X3, the Q5, the ML 350 and the similarly sized Infinity; the MDX was hard to beat for overall driving, quality build and standard features. SH-AWD is in a class of its own for on-the-road traction and performance. Driving during a couple of heavy down pour is a breeze. Surprisingly it has decent ground clearance for logging roads and unimproved two-tracks yet felt lower in driving than the others. Noticed how low in the bonnet the engine sits, must be how Acura lowered it's center of gravity. Lastly, could not believe the deal I struck with Acura vs. the German cars - much better. Three years later, now with 52K miles - not one issue or problem with the MDX. We've taken it many long trips, have used it for carrying large items - still going great as a people and cargo mover. One area of concern, the MPG seems to have fallen both for local and highway driving. On a recent 3K trip from TX to NM to CO and back back, overall MPG for the trip was about 19.5. A year earlier, on essentially the same trip, it was about 21 MPG overall. Have also noticed lower MPG for local driving, about 15 - 16 versus 17.5 during the 1st 2 years. Not sure why this is.

Great reliability fun to drive

bobrosa, 03/31/2014
Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Approaching my 2 yr. of ownership with just over 22k. and I still look at it when I park and walk away. Only visit to dealer is for regular maint. Speaking as a mechanic for more then 30 yrs. this vehical is solid, well built, and really rocks in any adverse weather conditions with its SH-awd system. Yeah think Im gonna keep this baby for awhile.

2nd MDX

dc12, 05/30/2012
4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is our 2nd MDX and we are very happy with our purchase. The car drives and handles very well and comes with a laundry list of standard options. I wanted to check out the new Explorer before we bought this one but the Ford dealership was too difficult to deal with. A relative of ours just bought the Toyota Highlander which I also like but the MDX handles better in my view. I was also able to get a better deal than the Edmunds True Market Value. Our kids love the car.

12345...9