2005 Volvo XC90 4.4L V8 AWD 6-speed Automatic Consumer Review - V8 Engine Is Prone to

2005 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Review

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

V8 4dr SUV (4.4L V8 AWD 6-speed Automatic)

V8 Engine Is Prone to Catastrophic Failure
By jdcarcollector on

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Last week, our 2005 Volvo XC90 V8 'died' in an intersection. The dealer explained the engine had a 'catastrophic failure' and was "dead". I was told the battery was dead and there is no compression -- air blew through the engine. I asked how this could possibly have happened to a car that has undergone every Volvo dealer service, including one just 45 days ago. The dealer was courteous but explained the car required a new engine which costs $15,000. Google "Volvo Yamaha V8 Failure" and you'll come across numerous people discussing catastrophic failures thanks to the timing chain breaking. Volvo has not undertaken a recall.

Favorite Features

I love the way my well-maintained Volvo "died" just 45 days after I had full service plus four new tires. My three children under 10 years old (incl. one with special needs) and spouse were left out in the cold by a gas station whle a flatbed truck removed the car. Beyond that, we were always please with the car it handled reasonably well, had good acceleration before the engine failed, and the car was practical for a family of 4-5 people.

Suggested Improvements

Volvo should make this right for customers -- it is terrible that there are numerous customers with XC90 V8 models with 60,000-85,000 miles that have it just up and die one day. It is extremely clear to me that Volvo is aware of this issue -- in fact our dealer insinuated you were aware -- and yet you have not recalled. I purchased a Volvo because of your safety/quality record but I could never recommend another because of this terrible outcome. I am fortunate that this is not a financial burden for me, but it upsets me most to think that a family could be dealt a severe financial blow as a result of your poor engineering. Shame on you Volvo.
By sportette
on 10/03/11 13:36 PM (PDT)

I, too, am a recent victim of XC90 engine "blow up". My 2005 had 39,128 miles on it. All I did was start it up in a parking lot on my lunch hour. This was 21 days after it underwent routine maintenance at our local Volvo dealership. It is $13,200 for a new engine. I called Volvo Headquarters to see what options I had and learned I had none due to the age of the car. I bought a Volvo for the safety and reputation they have. Since owning the car, I've replaced two wheel bearings, an axle shaft and an A/C compressor. Now a blown engine.

By maryny
on 10/26/14 12:51 PM (PDT)

I, too, am a victim of the XC90 engine blown. My 2005 had 85,000 miles on it. I had purchased it used only 11 months earlier for nearly $12,000 and it had 60,400 miles on it at that time. I did all necessary service on this car. I had just serviced it 4 weeks earlier with an oil change and I had a bearing issue as well which I paid to fix and replace. I purchased this car because I believed that Volvo's were durable, long lasting, dependable, safe and I thought buying a Volvo was the right thing to do and that Volvo Corporation would stand behind their cars but that is not the case. Their is obviously an issue with these engines. An engine should not be blown at less than 100,000 miles on it. I would never buy another Volvo as long as I live.