2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Automated Manual - (45 reviews )
The Ultimate "Grown Up" Pocket Rocket
By Tony on 11/03/08 13:15 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I have been wanting this car ever since it hit our shores at the end of 07, however, I didn't want to pay sticker (or more) simply b/c it was a limited edition vehicle. Ended up paying $29K for my new non nav R32. I love the styling, DSG & all wheel drive grip of the Haldex 4motion system. This car really offers the best of the "boy racer" fun, but yet the practicality of a 3 dr hatchback without all the hood scoops and large winged spoilers. The fuel economy is the only real negative; and it's not the 18 mpg in the city that bothers me, its the short cruising range of 225 to 270 mls; the answer would have been a bigger tank. Otherwise no complaints; it's a great car that I would recommend.

Worth the Wait
By jn on 09/07/08 22:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I was set on buying a GTI until i found a dealer that was selling their last 2 R32s for $4K below the list price (including the VW rebate) instead of $4K over like my local VW dealer. I ended up paying $29.3K (without Nav.) which is only about $3-4K more that an optioned up GTI. So far the car has lived up to its billing. The power is more than adequate for in town driving, the handling is great and the exhaust note is pure magic. The gas mileage is even acceptable as long as you keep your foot out of it. It was the Reader's Reviews on Edmunds that convinced me to got for it and i have not been disappointed.

Solid
By CA on 09/05/08 19:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

Bought this R32 used with 12k miles. It is everything that I thought it would be. Solid build, handling, acceleration. DSG is surprisingly quick and responsive. 23 MPG mixed so far but am surprised at the amount of revs in top gear. This engine could easily handle a taller gear and would probably get better gas mileage. Unlike others, I think this vehicle is exactly what it was made to be and should be. "FUN" The only thing I'm disappointed in is the IPOD adapter. $75 Harmon Kardon add on unit does a far better job.

I made a big mistake.
By alleyoop on 08/21/08 13:15 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I paid too much for a Over Steroid GTI. Not a bad vehicle but not what I expected for the price. I only have 901 miles on it and it sits in the garage. When I do take it out I pray that someone will steal it or total it out. I can't even give away as a cheap trade in. Basically, I did not do my homework.

Gas Line Problems
By Chris on 07/17/08 14:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I too love this vehicle. It is sporty, functional, and fairly comfortable. However, as some of you have mentioned, I too have had this gas tank problem. My R32 was idling when it just started dumping multiple gallons of gas everywhere. The tank wasn't full and it came from the underside of the car. The VW people assure me that this problem was unique to my car. However, all the parts are back ordered. The have had my car for almost 2 weeks and said it could be 2-3 weeks more. Sounds like VW needs to admit this design flaw.

Whoa!
By NewnanR32 on 07/08/08 22:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I have had my R32 for 4 days now. I had previously owned a 1995 Jetta VR6. I knew what to expect with the power and performance. However I had no idea how smooth and precise the DSG was until my First Road Trip - from Detroit to Atlanta (750 miles). I learned that "S" means See Ya later! I was comfortable and enjoy the drive. Unbelievable handling and acceleration! This vehicle is low key and stays under the "Radar" with police. I look forward to adding a Cool Air Intake in the coming weeks to help with gas mileage and possibly more.

2008 VW R32
By jack on 06/28/08 13:09 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

My wife drives a 2007 bmw 328ix and she loves her car but takes the R32 whenever she gets the chance, for a little more excitement. The complete package is almost perfectly balanced between comfort, performance, safety and can I Dare to say fuel economy. The one thing that stand out among any of the other pocket rockets on the market is the styling. No other car can really compare to the dynamic styling of this car inside and out. It is outside the box and beyond smart. I give it an 11 handling is sweet will keep up with anything on the hairpin road and the some.

Engine boggs on accelleration
By JC on 06/23/08 17:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

Day after I bought the car it started hesitating and the car stall on me in traffic. Took the car to the dealer the next day and they said they couldn't find the problem. After taking the car several times to the dealer they finally found the problem. It took them 13 days to fix it while I was given a rental car. They replaced the "EVAPCANIST".

Mature fun
By vincenth on 06/20/08 13:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

After taking three long test drives comparing the new EVO, STI, and R32, I decided to purchase the VW. While both the EVO and STI will out perform the R32, I felt the VW was the best overall blend of performance and comfort.

Best Small Car in the World
By Peter Wechsler on 06/18/08 03:14 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I am the #1 fan of VW/Audi vehicles and have owned both brands for years. They both make world class vehicles. VW has hit a home run with the R32. I just took possession of the car and the driving experience is incredible. It has all the safety option you need: ABS, AWD, 6 airbags, ESP, seat belt pretensioners, and the list goes on and on. The build and quality in unsurpassed. The AWD and the VR rated tires make this a great handling car. The interior is plush and well thought out. Although I would have like to see 300 hp, the 250 hp V6 engine is sufficient, unless you are racing the car. The car is rock solid throughout. i opted for the car without navigation.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.